Christmas and the poor.

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:42 am
In America we (although this thread applies to a lot of countries besides America) have more money than any other country on the planet.

For instance, Americans spent 160 to 200 billion on Christmas presents this year.

America has donated 15 million to the Tsunami victims so far. Perhaps 30 million when it all said and done.

Imagine this for one second. We decide - as a Christian nation to spend 1/2 what we spend on Christmas to build houses in Sri Lanka (100 billion).

There are only 19 million Sri Lankans. Convert the American Dollar into the Rupee (thier money) and 104 Rupies are worth one American Dollar.

We do the quick math and come up with this:

America - for 1/2 it spends on Christmas could give every Sri Lankan 547,000 Rupees (or Sri Lankan Dollars). Do you think they could build Tsunami proof shelters with that kind of money? Your damned skippy they could.

Let's say - we as a nation - decide to do this every year. How long does it take America to wipe out world debt and hunger by being real Christains and doing what Jesus commanded us to do - give to the poor?

I hear a lot these days, escpecially by our administration, about the Christian values of America and our government. Why are we so willing to spend 200 billion on war and destruction and 15 million on 115,000 dead (so far) and call ourselves a Christian nation?

For that matter - I can't think of a large religion that does not advocate alms to the poor. Why can't the religions - for all thier scripture quoting get thier collective heads out and truly see that death from Natural Disasters and lack of food is preventable?

What am I missing?

TF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,564 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:26 pm
We are giving, lot of money, and additional every time a disaster strikes. Could we do more? Sure. But I can't get behind your, "Give this much every year to wipe out world hunger" idea, it what you really mean is just hand out money. If we were using it to help build infrastructure, schools, etc, maybe - but handouts don't help nearly as much as education.
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 05:17 pm
Damned capitalism: (partial story) Link

Quote:
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 05:45 pm
I agree with that "teach a man to fish" thinking but in the face of such carnage I really think a hand out is in order.

I also agree that rampant consumerism is sick but you can't really blame Christmas for that.

But honestly I think most Americans do what they can. I do some volunteer work and the places I volunteer are teaming with young kids pitching in.

Its so easy to hate McDonalds until you've met some people that Ronald McDonald house has really and truly helped.

I donate blood and the donation centers are filled with people from all walks of life and all income ranges.

I raise a kid who's parents didn't want to. I am not a foster parent. I don't expect the government to pay me for this labor of love.

My business donated 600 pounds of food to the food bank this year.

In the last 5 years my business has donated over $50,000 to a local charity.

There is me and 10 other people on my staff.

Doctors without Borders, Mercy Corps, Peace Corps, the Food Bank, the Red Cross -- all of these people work tirelessly to help.

Greedy old big business even pitches in to help. Most of them have charitable foundations and they really do some good work.

It is easy to get cynical and that cynicism gets us nowhere.

America has its problems but I think most of the people are still compassionate and willing to help.

Okay. Blahblahblah. Here's my point: Let's not worry about doing it as a nation, lets just do it a person at a time.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:54 pm
Boomer I knew you were always one of the good folks!!!!!!!!!
Willing to help those in need. Cheers and hand reaching out for a shake and pat on the back and hug. :wink:
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 06:59 pm
boomerang wrote:

Okay. Blahblahblah. Here's my point: Let's not worry about doing it as a nation, lets just do it a person at a time.

Let's not even worry about ones beliefs (christian or nonchristian) either -Did I just say that? This is a humanity thing we're all on this one lonely planet together.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:13 pm
Thank you, husker.

That really means a lot coming from you.

I was rasied up to believe that the government should help sometimes but that we should help always.

I'm not rich. I lead a simple life. I drive a 12 year old car and live in a small house in a marginal neighborhood. I'm not accusing TTF, but so many people sit around waiting for others to help when there is so much they can do themselves.

I'm dissatisfied with America right now but I will never be dissatisfied with Americans.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:27 pm
Let me clarify a few things.

1) Hand outs are not what I am talking about. You could do a habitat for humanity on a global scale where the person had to work for thier home. They could learn a trade and have a home.

2) I am not tying this to Christmas per se - I was just using Christmas as an example of the amount of money floating around the us that is fairly disposable.

3) We could even export American to put them to work on the job in other countries to keep the labor money in the U.S.

4) Idaho - I am not blaming capitolism - if you are implying that - I am talking about our national values.

5) Boomerang - I hear you - I just wish we could use our might as a force multiplier - it would work so much more efficiently than nickle and dime stuff.

I just think this is possible and we as a nation talk about our religious values - without doing much with our might about it.

With great power comes great responsibility and I think we have great power and think we have mediocre to little responsibility.

TF
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:29 pm
thethinkfactory not judging you the least
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:31 pm
Husker - I know. I don't feel judged - just wanted to clarify my post.

BTW - Happy New Year!

TF
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:34 pm
I agree with you TTF - there are a lot of people who don't take it seriously and our government doesn't do much to make people think about it. As a nation we are totally apathetic.

I remember a song we had to learn in elementary school:

Let there be peace on earth
And let it begin with me

I know where your coming from. Really I do. I get frustrated too.

If I want to see the world be a better place it has to begin with me.
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:10 pm
I don't know exactly where this will lead, but I'd like to have a dialogue (or trialogue or whatever).

What exactly is the motivation for giving of our abundant stuffs and of our labors to the people of Sri Lanka? This is asked in all honesty and curiosity, with no sarcasm or irony or roundabout-ness.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:14 pm
binnyboy wrote:
I don't know exactly where this will lead, but I'd like to have a dialogue (or trialogue or whatever).

What exactly is the motivation for giving of our abundant stuffs and of our labors to the people of Sri Lanka? This is asked in all honesty and curiosity, with no sarcasm or irony or roundabout-ness.

well there's your answer
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 11:46 pm
no.... that's the question.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 09:25 am
Binny - Cool. Let's cure OUR poor and homeless then. When we turn our unbelievable resources on that relatively small problem - let's move on.

The target I could care less about - the vehicle is what I am referring to.

TF
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:11 am
I was thinking someone should start a topic about the ideals of our culture - what are they?
see if it can be done wihout getting political?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 10:55 am
I think our motivation should be that it helps people in a devistating situation.

I don't think such a topic would survive a single post without turning to politics, husker.

I read an interesting essay recently about people who feel betrayed by culture. The author points out that culture simply is and that being betrayed by it is pointless. He laid out a good argument.

The essay isn't available online but you can probably catch it in the current issue of Esquire magazine.

I think our culture pays a lot of lip service to high ideals but when it comes down to it, we don't want to practice what we preach.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 11:03 am
you might be right
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 01:43 pm
ttf,

I wasn't implying that we shouldn't help them out. I was trying to see if anybody could give a very convincing reason that we should. I'm all for it, but I would rest easier if I knew exactly the complete reasoning behind why doing it is a good idea. But if you want, you can go back to the other question, or we can now speak of our own poor. But the same question resides. Why?
0 Replies

Idaho

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 05:29 pm
Quote:
I think our culture pays a lot of lip service to high ideals but when it comes down to it, we don't want to practice what we preach.

Really? Private/corporate donations so far exceed government pledges for aid. Do you see us failing as individuals, or as a collecte (government)?
0 Replies