noun-word or other expression for the discardable left-over or remains of sugar-cane after we chew i

iandu76

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 12:16 pm
What is the appropriate noun-word or other expression for the discardable left-over or remains of sugar-cane after we chew and suck up its' juice. If I call it "cuds" does it communicate right?. Any other better word than "cuds"?.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 563 • Replies: 9

View best answer, chosen by iandu76
PUNKEY

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 12:34 pm
Why don't you just google: "how to chew sugar cane"?
centrox
  Selected Answer

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 12:37 pm
The residue of crushed or chewed sugar cane is called bagasse.

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 12:39 pm
@iandu76,
iandu76 wrote:
If I call it "cuds" does it communicate right?

No. Not a common word.
iandu76

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 01:14 pm
@PUNKEY,
I did research on it as you suggested on Google but to no avail, before I asked here.
0 Replies

iandu76

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 01:18 pm
@centrox,
I got it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 03:40 pm
@iandu76,
The technical/correct term is bagasse when the sugar cane pulp is run through an extractor. The most commonly heard term for the cane left-over from chewing is pulp.
centrox

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 03:49 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

The technical/correct term is bagasse when the sugar cane pulp is run through an extractor. The most commonly heard term for the cane left-over from chewing is pulp.

Well, OK, but my friend born in Guyana talks about spitting out bagasse. Also they say that in Australia and India, whence comes this blog:

Quote:
We as children used to eat canes directly cut from the fields. We used to pull out the skin with our teeth, chew the inner fibrous portion thoroughly and then spit out the remaining Bagasse. Our mothers were worried that our teeth would be damaged. So they asked the canes to be cut into manageable pieces, remove the outer skin and then give to us.

A Floridan wrote this

Quote:
Then, when the juice was all gone, you got to spit out the residue, called the bagasse, without anyone getting mad at your bad manners.

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 04:03 pm
@centrox,
I think people who live in sugar-producing countries are more likely to use bagasse, since they're used to the extraction language.

The rest of the world - pulp. I hear it in our Chinatowns regularly.
iandu76

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 08:06 pm
@ehBeth,
@ehBeth. Useful additional information indeed.
0 Replies