So.. how are you spending your day?et to be

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2017 01:42 pm
It's a particularly lazy Saturday afternoon here on the west side of Albuquerque, New Mexico, still quite warm as late Octobers can get to be..

Me, I'm defrosting the shrimp before sauteing later on, cleaning the abode a bit, taking a break from a book I am trying to figure out once again (I'm rereading all my Alan Furst books, this one not a favorite but still full of information about a world I only lived in as a newborn baby, France late in '41.)

I should go out and weed the front yard; not in the mood.

Time for some music - I'll put on the Cecilia Bartoli disc; it's been staring at me from in front of the tray I have my vinegars and oils.

update re the chosen computer: not yet, except it'll be some sort of mac.
I have, with the remains of the dozen or so year old iMac, bits and pieces I can
coach into visible words. My own typing is getting more odd, but I expect to improve when I'm less irritable.

How is your well-being today? Steady as it goes? a complete mess? filled with anticipation? filled with worry? blue skies? twinkling stars?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 792 • Replies: 15
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2017 02:00 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Hmmm. I tried to figure out how et to be got into the title - that was about Albuquerque weather in October.
nimh

Reply Sat 14 Oct, 2017 05:07 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

a complete mess? filled with anticipation? filled with worry?

I'll have all of these please, Bob.

Good to see you Osso, hope the computer situation will slowly but steadily get sorted. Your day doesn't sound bad, a quiet day.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2017 06:07 am
@ossobucotemp,
Et tu Brute?

No I only ate one.
ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 16 Oct, 2017 06:53 pm
@izzythepush,
Hah, I sort of remember all that. We had a latin play to perform, which year I dunno, and I was Cato. I presently have no memories of Cato's views.

I was slotted into a girls' academy I'd no interest in, when we went back to Los Angeles, set up by well meaning family. Those four years probably account for much of my acidity, though to be truthful, it wasn't all "awful" until they worked hard to recruit me to the nunnery, a matter I've mentioned before. The bus rides were aggravating (I and a friend or two worked at a local hospital. The good part was that the hospital snack place actually had good food for not much moolah. And some of the doctors were cute.

izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2017 12:36 am
@ossobucotemp,
I think they were mostly about how cats in Spain were really hard done by.

We had a weird red sun yesterday, very strange.

https://i2-prod.liverpoolecho.co.uk/incoming/article13767433.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/redsun.jpg
ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2017 03:21 pm
@izzythepush,
I just saw this. I probably would be better off not reading about the spanish cats: probably like the italians do (or so I read), letting them go while they were off to spend time at the seashore..

I'm aware some people groove on animals differently. I'm no saint, I still eat some meat. I was horrified and still am about letting the cats go, but I bet some of them arrived home again. Or found a better one.

I've known a bunch of italians, but the one I knew best was my italian teacher for several quarter classes at UCLA. We all found her quirky and vice versa, but that was part of the fun of the learning. Good cook, too. She set up a visit to an italian LA restaurant. Later, she set up the exam dates as fun, and the one most memorable was at a student's house, where, after the exam, she taught us to cook..

Of course, some of us knew how to cook already, and all of us liked eating, but those exam times were good ones.

One of our family members was from Liberia, and she was shaken the way americans cared about cats..

I suppose there are million books out there about different care, and the reasons people have, re animals around the world.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 03:27 am
@ossobucotemp,
I'm hunkered down against Storm Brian. I'm slightly hungover, and I think the storm may be a lot weaker than was feared.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 11:08 am
have my swimsuit under my clothes
almost ready to head out to the pool to swim and play with my gang

we've started some fun cross-training in the pool
riding the pool noodles and tossing a toy football back and forth for the last 15 minutes of our pool time
my biceps and triceps are noticeably stronger after just a few weeks of doing this
it's been great for B's core and C is finally starting to be able to balance on the noodle - being in the 12.5 ft end of the pool encourages people to stay on the noodle Laughing

dog-walking and cooking will happen once I get home
maybe another hour or so of decluttering at the front end of the ground floor

making piles for the upcoming swap meets - can't wait to see what we come home with
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 01:49 pm
@ehBeth,
oooh, you are far past anything I ever got into re swim adventure, I was just trying to not drown, I think even when I could swim in a pool.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2017 02:11 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Actually, I got better than that, but I never got to your level.

Still, let me recommend the west LA YMCA, if they still exist.

I first went there when a friend of ours talked about running. I've probably never run re athletic acquirements, snort, but I learned to enjoy moving.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2017 12:48 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Today, a basic good day.

My ex called.
We had always talked as straight as we could, back then. And still do.

Twenty years later, he's right up there on whom I'll listen to re politics.

ossobucotemp

Reply Mon 23 Oct, 2017 05:43 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Another good day, as I nabbed an address and phone number of a long time friend that I lost contact with when I moved to New Mexico and became a semi hermit. I'm not a natural hermit, quite the opposite for a lot of my life after being shy (I peg my losing shyness after I got a hospital job at 16), but my circumstances here are on the sparse side. So it's a kick finding this friend, stalwarts for each other for decades.

Remember me and my eye mischugas? She and her husband helped me by taking me to their house in Napa for recovery time, and during that time they showed me a great deal of Napa and Sonoma. It wasn't all one sided; I did some landscape design at a very minor rate, a kind of solution for both of us, money being their idea.

We knew each other from early uni days. if I remember, she was from a family of eleven. She was the one who actually painted the tin can she brought in to hold lab stuff.

I don't get around much anymore, a circumstance lots of people share, at various ages.

I didn't mean this thread to somehow be all about me, but I just got into talking.

Doesn't anyone want to talk about Autumn? or Spring, if you are in South America or places beyond...
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 12:46 am
@ossobucotemp,
It's very drizzly today, typical Autumn weather. The clocks go back on Sunday morning so we're back on Greenwich instead of Summer time.

I've cut away/ dug up lots of weeds, dead branches and stuff for a big bonfire the week after. I've already got the fireworks.

You take care.
ossobucotemp

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 12:46 pm
@izzythepush,
I've been rereading some - well, probably all - of Alan Furst's books, as I find them as both data filled and full of "oh, gee, now what damned thing will happen?", from my point of view. I bring this up as the ones I'm reading now are set in France, and the matter of drizzle and rain comes up a lot, in passing.

Now I live in a very dry place, not the most dry I've ever been to, but getting there. The Mohave in July is tougher..

On taking care, my duplex neighbor gave me a cane she had. Neat, really, and I appreciate her. The damned cane is useful for me going to the mailbox over wavy concrete. I'm splendid on reasonable concrete, and sail through grocery stores, but Albuquerque is a tad behind construction times. I don't think there is even a city planning department, or if there is, it's lame city.

Weeds, don't get me started. We have prickly spurs with our weeds here. One has to take the prickly goatheads out of one's gardening gloves...

When I first got here, I, Ms. Know it all, insisted that any of the spare water that fell in my yard should go to the aquifers, so I didn't put down black plastic and stones like everyone else. Failure to learn on my part.

What's the Bonfire about? (you might have said before, but I forgot).
izzythepush

Reply Tue 24 Oct, 2017 01:54 pm
@ossobucotemp,
There's a need for a bonfire this time of year anyway, burn the dead wood and plants but November 5th is Bonfire Night. It's when we do our fireworks, and it was always a lot bigger than Halloween, now I'm not so sure.

It's all connected to the Gunpowder plot during the reign of James I. It was a failed attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament, the biggest, foiled terrorist attempt in History.

I just like the fireworks and burning a guy. When I was little it was always Guy Fawkes, but now it's a popular hate figure. I've done Sarah Palin and Donald Trump, and I'll probably do him again, or maybe Harvey Weinstein.

Mine is amateur and shoddy, but in Lewes they really pull out the stops. These are all burned.

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2014/11/06/10/putin-mankini-effigy-wide.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/11/06/01/3A19754500000578-3908070-image-a-1_1478395316548.jpg

https://mikejay.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/bush_effigy.jpg
0 Replies