Scientific absurdity

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 10:47 am
The importance of Intuition is not well respected. As a typical example, Science insists on absolute determination, yet Intuition rejects it as absolutely absurd
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,651 • Replies: 30
No top replies

centrox

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 01:16 pm
What is not nonsense in your post is false.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 02:49 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:

The importance of Intuition is not well respected. As a typical example, Science insists on absolute determination, yet Intuition rejects it as absolutely absurd

Intuition is the working of the "unconscious" mind tellling the conscious mind the end result without all the systematic logic that only the conscious mind does. It is the working of the right side of the brain; the left side of the brain is what we think consciously with (aka, language).
rosborne979

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 03:37 pm
@dalehileman,
Science is the tool that protects us from being deceived, by others and by ourselves.

Intuition is the tool we use to convince ourselves that the easy answer is the right answer.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 03:38 pm
Intuition says the earth is flat; the earth goes round the sun; dropped objects always fall in a straight line; cold water freezes faster than warm water; there is such a thing as absolute simultaneity, etc.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 03:50 pm
@dalehileman,
We all use intuition in our lives, because we are subjective beings. Politics, religion and money management are all influences in many people's lives that we cannot escape. Science is about the study of our environment. Other topics such as religion, politics and money matters are philosophical in nature. Intuition may not be well respected, but all of us use it daily in how we direct our lives.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 04:10 pm
@dalehileman,
Intuition is just another word for prejudice.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 04:23 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
It is the working of the right side of the brain
Foof thank you, it's not everyday...
I shall 'mem'
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 11 Oct, 2017 04:25 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
Intuition says the earth is flat...absolute simultaneity, etc
Not mine, Cen
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2017 02:30 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Intuition is just another word for prejudice.

No. Intuition is another way of saying, "I sensed that something moved in those tall grasses, too much for this little wind. Probably a lion."

It is part of our evolution, so we came out of Africa alive, rather than the lion's dinner.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2017 02:45 pm
@Foofie,
Ok Foofie,

... and how is that different than prejudice?
dalehileman

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2017 05:18 pm
@maxdancona,
Oh heck Max, Foof has hit it, they ain't the same
maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2017 05:24 pm
@dalehileman,
Ok, then tell me the difference.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2017 06:08 pm
@maxdancona,
I also don't agree with foof too often, but he hit it on the nail head this time.
maxdancona

Reply Thu 12 Oct, 2017 06:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Sure.... but explain how what Foofie is calling "intuition" is any different than prejudice. We have brain circuits that cause us to arrive at a decision without any facts or reason. We evolved this so we could react quickly... but this is the same brain pathways that make people feel nervous when they see a Black man walking toward them.
Foofie

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2017 02:07 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Ok Foofie,

... and how is that different than prejudice?

Prejudice is to prejudge. When one senses something intuitively, by virtue of the unconscious sending our left-side of the brain something to verbalize, that is not prejudging.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2017 02:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I also don't agree with foof too often, but he hit it on the nail head this time.

And you seem to have the humility to admit it. Some for spite would not say that, in my opinion.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2017 02:20 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Sure.... but explain how what Foofie is calling "intuition" is any different than prejudice. We have brain circuits that cause us to arrive at a decision without any facts or reason. We evolved this so we could react quickly... but this is the same brain pathways that make people feel nervous when they see a Black man walking toward them.

There's a book written by a Black man, I think it is called, Whistling Vivaldi. He learned that if he was walking down a street, amongst Caucasoidals, they would not react with concern, since he was whistling classical music. The unconscious associates classical music with civil behavior. Nothing had to be said in the Caucasoidal's mind. Pure unconscious intuition.

And if a younger Black male was walking a certain way, that might connote a potential problem for a Caucasoidal. That's not prejudging, since walking a certain way is just information that is processed unconsciously. If you are saying our unconscious (right-side of the brain usually) is prejudging, then you seem to be disenfranchising anyone to get input from the environment, and make a decision. Sort of like seeing a wet sidewalk outside and not taking an umbrella, since that might be prejudice against wet sidewalks (might not mean rain, just a wet sidewalk. The rain could have stopped. So should a Caucasoidal ask the young Black man, walking a certain way, "Sir, are you hostile to Caucasoidals?)
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2017 02:49 pm
@maxdancona,
We just use our own definition for words. I usually agree with the dictionary definition.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 13 Oct, 2017 03:53 pm
Intuition is the act of making a decision without facts or reason. This thread is really about science.

Science is often counter-intuitive. If our intuition could tell us how the Universe works, we would have no use for the careful experimentation, questioning and mathematical reasoning at the core of Science.

When I taught Physics, getting students to drop the misconceptions they held (based on intuition) was one of the hardest parts of the job.