What is more advanced..Mars Curiosity Rover or Cassini-Huygens?

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 08:28 pm
Hello everyone,

I just recently read an article, I think it was in National Geographic that said that the Mars Curiosity rover is the most advanced piece of equipment that NASA has ever sent to another world.

I had to think about this. I wonder if that is true. I think they said because it is a robot, and this and that. I didn't know that curiosity was technically a think on its own robot. I know people on the ground on earth still control it, by remote control. Maybe it is just a really advanced remote control car.

But anyway, I wondered to myself if Cassini-Huygens was more advanced than Curiosity. I know that Huygens didn't move around once it hit the ground. But if you combine Huygens and what it did, accomplished, with Cassini and what it did. And accomplished. And all of the equipment that both of those machines carried and used. Which is more advanced? Cassini-Huygens or Mars Curiosity? I really don't know. I am not sure who to contact at NASA that would know. Seems to me that Curiosity has a lot more PR behind it as well.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,049 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 08:59 pm
The Cassini mission, with the Huygens lander, was launched in 1997. Curiosity was launched in 2012. As far as I can see, Curiosity is newer, smarter and does a good deal more than the Huygens lander. When JPL uploaded newer AI programs, the mission controller described "her" (Curiosity) as a 13-year old. She said that now, Curiosity will argue about her instructions, and raiwe objections. She also said the Curiosity is usually right.

Huygens was basically as intelligent as an insect, able to do well, but only able to do one thing.

Here's some information on Curiosity:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/06/mars-curiosity-rover/531339/

https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/video/details.php?id=1484
Setanta

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 09:14 pm
You can visit the Jet Propulsion Laboratory's contact us page by clicking here.

You probably wouldn't get an individual response, but you can sign up for a newsletter there. Visit JPL for Curiosity rover, Opportunity rover, all the Mars missions, the Cassini-Huygens mission, the Dawn mission--all of Nasa's missions. https://www.jpl.nasa.gov
0 Replies

zeroyanke7

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 09:40 pm
@Setanta,
Oh thanks Setanta. That eliminates a lot of confusion. I did not know the years that they were both launched. Of course there are people who believe that our space missions to the moon in the 1960s were more advanced than our missions now. Simply because we went to the moon with humans. And we haven't done that since. I guess with way less computing power than even a Samsung phone. You wonder with such little technology back in the 1960s how they were able to accomplish such amazing things. Maybe I am suffering a little from Mars fatigue. And I wish that Huygens was a robot like the curiosity, I would like to see more pictures of Titan.

I have been getting interested a lot in the year 1997. I guess. I just saw a documentary about Asteroids that had Eugene Shoemaker. Talking about the Shoemaker comet that hit Jupiter.

Well you answered my question. Sounds like Curiosity is just a shade away from being self aware.
0 Replies