Can anyone help with this?

Don1

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:16 am
It's driving me bonkers.

Apart from being well known(or very well known) film actresses what links/linked BetteDavis,Faye Dunaway,Samantha Eggar,Debra Winger and Reese Witherspoon?

If you can put me out of my misery I will owe you one.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,838 • Replies: 20
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 10:04 am
Re: Can anyone help with this?
Don1 wrote:
Apart from being well known(or very well known) film actresses what links/linked BetteDavis,Faye Dunaway,Samantha Eggar,Debra Winger and Reese Witherspoon?

Kevin Bacon?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 10:12 am
http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Film_and_TV/Question84730.html

According to this, they have all been nominated for Golden Globe Awards. I have not verified if this is true.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 10:33 am
That went past me Joe, I cant find any connection between KB and Bette Davis Confused

Or am I on the wrong track here, is this one of those "connect the links" to get back to the beginning things?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 10:58 am
Don, the Kevin Bacon reference is about a bizarre game called Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon which claims that any actor can be linked to Kevin Bacon in six links or less...

This may be too obscure, but each of the actresses you list uses a middle name (or a form of it) as her screen name:

Faye Dunaway was born Dorothy Faye Dunaway
Reese Witherspoon was born Laura Jean Reese Witherspoon
Debra Winger was born Mary Debra Winger
Bette Davis was born Ruth Elizabeth Davis
Samantha Eggar was born Victoria Louise Samantha Marie Elizabeth Therese Eggar
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 11:49 am
Mac,

I'll take your word that those are the full names of the actresses mentioned, but how does that connect them to Kevin Bacon? Meryl Streeps real name is Mary Louise Streep, why isnt she in the list?

Phoenix, I'm happy to take your word that they have all been nominated for a golden globe, but so have a great many more people I would imagine.

Why would those six be singled out as "connected"?

You could pick six oscar winners and say they are connected by having won an oscar, but any of the other 70 oscar winners would qualify as well.

My head hurts. Confused
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:08 pm
Did each of them play Becky Thatcher?
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:12 pm
Some of those women have Massachusetts' connections.

Bette Davis lived in Newton, MA in a house that is now professional office suites.

Faye Dunaway was married to Boston rock troll Peter Wolf but only god and dunaway know why.

Debra Winger is involved with the American Repertory Theatre at Harvard.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 12:27 pm
Don, joefromchicago was just being cute. Very Happy I'm certain that Kevin Bacon has nothing to do with this!

I'm still thinking about it...
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 02:19 pm
mac11 wrote:
Don, joefromchicago was just being cute. Very Happy I'm certain that Kevin Bacon has nothing to do with this!

Lawyers can be cute now Confused What is the world coming to?

I've looked at the obvious, birth places don't match, places of education don't match, Sam Eggar is a Londoner, all the others are USA born, unlike Kevin Bacon none of the others have a name which tastes great between two slices of bread.

As far as I can see they haven't at some stage of their careers played the same character, they are not related except in a biblical sense.

Hmmmmm
0 Replies

bree

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 05:50 pm
I'm not sure where this question comes from: did someone tell you these five actresses are related, or did you read it somewhere? If so, was it a trustworthy source? It would also be helpful to know exactly how the connection was described. (And, yes, as you can probably guess from my questions, I'm a lawyer too.)
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:02 am
Bree, back up a page and take a look at Phoenix's link.

The answer given there is the golden globes answer but I'm not so sure.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 11:13 am
well, maybe samantha EGGer would be tasty between two slices of bread, to say nothing of her ability to match up with kevin BACON.

Speaking of Egger, what ever happened to her?
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 04:59 am
Last time I saw her POM was in The Astronauts Wife with Johnny Depp, I would think she'll be around retirement age by now.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 11:55 am
I remember Samantha Egger from the movie, "The Collector," when I was out of college but less than 25.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:26 am
Don1: I'm sorry for confusing you. As mac11 correctly noted, I was just being flippant. If you've never heard of "Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon," it's a game where one attempts to link an actor or actress to Kevin Bacon in six steps or less. For instance:

Bette Davis was in "John Paul Jones" with Robert Stack
Robert Stack was in "1941" with John Belushi
John Belushi was in "Animal House" with Kevin Bacon

So, Bette Davis to Kevin Bacon in two steps. Can anyone beat that?
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 12:41 am
I see Joe Idea

I've never heard of it till now.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:42 am
So, have we solved the actress riddle?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:54 am
Don1 wrote:
they are not related except in a biblical sense.

Not so fast. There is a bizzare website that was able to link the family trees of Clint Eastwood and Arnold Schwarzenegger! I forgot the name of the website.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 10:35 am
wandeljw wrote:
Don1 wrote:
they are not related except in a biblical sense.

Not so fast. There is a bizzare website that was able to link the family trees of Clint Eastwood and Arnold Schwarzenegger! I forgot the name of the website.

You forgot the website? Well, that's a fat bloody help isn't it?

Oh god I'm beginning to sound like Basil Fawlty Sad
0 Replies