On a serious note, regarding the Indonesian disaster.

SCoates

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 04:25 pm
Photos of war are usually propaganda, or at least viewed as propaganda. If it shows dead children it is viewed as anti-war by people who don't want to be anti-war.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:04 pm
This is a government that will not even allow the coffins of our own war dead to be photographed and the press rolled over and acquiesced with barely a wimpier. Therefore I doubt that the press would published any other images that might bring down official disapproval.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:09 pm
Good observation Acq I have had similar thoughts over the last two days.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:33 pm
ok , Im gonna gett some cash together and put up a tsunami warning system for East US. Itll be a subscription service and anyone who wants in can send me your cash.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:35 pm
you need a helper? for points of course....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:46 pm
we need a web page and a spokesmodel
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:46 pm
squinney can do the web page and I look terrific in a speedo....
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 07:53 pm
Anyone recall a tsumani in New England? Doesn't happen here.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 08:06 pm
the last tsumani in new england was at plymouth rock when the pilgrims hit land. Millions suffered.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 28 Dec, 2004 09:42 pm
Whoa. Sharp 'un.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:07 am
mmm quick and to the point Very Happy
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:31 am
farmerman wrote:
ok , Im gonna gett some cash together and put up a tsunami warning system for East US. Itll be a subscription service and anyone who wants in can send me your cash.

I'm not one to tell you what to do with your spare cash, but they're kinda short of equipment in Sri Lanka/ Indonesia/ India right now....
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 05:47 am
The sad thing is tthatt a tsunami warning systeem consistts of a series of bouys that can sense a wave pulse that runs deep and by mere trig and some time functions tthey can predict times and gradients. The wave propogattes and moves at about 1000km/hr and just a few minutes warniing could have saved tthousands.
Im deadly erious about these warning bouys and I think noone will look at tsunamis the same again.
This was a small event also. The historic high tsunamis in a fjord off Norway and along prince William Sound in ALaska reached as high as 450 ft and actually tore entire mountainside forests out by the roots.

i want the US to drop the Iraq war by Jan so we can send that Billion dollars a month to help out in the Indian ocean area.
Dont mean to be flippant about this McTag but One is overwhelmed by the historic proportions of the death toll.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 06:44 am
As Farmerman has said, the real tragedy is that a relatively inexpensive warning system, already in place in both the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, could have saved untold thousands of lives. For some reason, it has never been utilized in the Indian Ocean. I do fervently hope that this will be an eye-opener to the need for such a system.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 06:49 am
what I wonder is, ok they didn't have a warning system, but various authorities looking at their seismographs knew a tsunami was on its way - why didn't they use a simple old fashioned phone call to presidents/mayors/whoever - at least some lives could have been saved. They had a little time to do something. Am I missing something?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 09:51 am
Going back to the media: in Europe they show the
tragedy of the Iraq war very vividly. Probably an additional
reason why the majority there is against the Iraq war - any war
for that matter.

I wish people would realize the censorship they're subjected
to. As long as Fox News brings on the good stuff, no need
to worry eh?

Many years ago, a weekly german political magazine I subscribed to, had a series of articles on the FBI. These articles run for 3 weeks and during that time, my magazine
was not distributed in the US.

You do the math!
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 12:43 pm
As for the tsunami early warning system. The Bay of Bengal is the worst possible combination. The probability of a tsunami is relatively low compared to the Pacific Ocean, but the risk if one does occur is high because of high and very dense coastal population. As a result it is of low priority but when one does happen it is a mega disaster.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 01:04 pm
The media is biased.
Fahrenheit 9/11 was biased.
Peoples telling of stories is biased.
History is biased.

EVERYTHING is biased.

I think that a lot of people don't WANT to see dead children and other atrocities of war. They'd rather turn their tv to a local channel to see what's happening on their front porch. It's hard for Americans to understand the war since we don't see it. We don't live anywhere near it. 9/11 shocked the **** out of everyone...I don't think that American's could survive a war here. We've never had to deal with it being right there.

God bless the people who have to live in a war every day of their lives. We bitch and argue about our media being biased....there could be worse things to bitch and argue about and I thank God that I don't have to go through what these people go through.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 02:13 pm
on the front page of Reuters

Quote:
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Washington, D.C., Mayor Anthony Williams on Wednesday signed a nearly $1 billion stadium funding package, clearing the way for the city to begin work on a ballpark for a Major League Baseball team

link

This is what's important. <sigh>
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 02:16 pm
That is depressing...

Oh and if anyone is interested in donating to the tsunami survivors....you can donate as little as $5.

Red Cross
0 Replies