Favorite Cinematographers?

flyboy804

Reply Wed 19 Feb, 2003 11:09 pm
I've mentioned my fondness for the cinematography of "Days of Heaven", and though I have always been aware of the loss when one views a film on the tube, I was really shocked when I saw "Days Of Heaven" on TV. Some of the vistas which so impressed me originally did little for me on the small screen.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 10:41 am
DAYS OF HEAVEN is a borderline case for me because I think the cinematography overwhelms the story and the characters. At its best, the cinematography should SERVE the story and the movie as a whole. But I can easily imagine the loss of imagery from DAYS on a small screen.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 11:19 am
Your point is well taken, Larry, but I, selfish being that I am, want any artistic endeavor to be shaped so that it gives me the greatest pleasure. I never give much weight to the intention of any of the creators. It is possible that with the film in question a more toned down view of the portraiture (if that's the right term) would have enhanced the impact of the story, but I don't know that for me it would have been an equal trade off. I have the same attitude toward opera, ballet, and theater. As I said, call me selfish.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 12:47 pm
Jack Cardiff who in my opinion pioneered many of the modern cinematic techniques of filming epics and intense dramas, especially his wonderful Technicolor work in "The Black Narcissus" (India has seldom been photographed with such atmosphere). "The African Queen" is in color but achieves giving one a time and place in its cinematography usually associated with black-and-white. "The Red Shoes" elevated cinematography to a true art form. Unfortunate that he was given some rather second rate assignments later on in his career, but the among the shining examples are "Death on the Nile," "The Far Pavilions" and "The Fifth Musketeer."

In black-and-white, it's got to be Gordon Willis if only for one film, the very impactful imagery in "Manhattan" (which I watch at least once a year if only for that reason and the Gershwin!) Not that he doesn't embrace color -- "The Parallax View" has a distinct color contrast that suits the thematic material as does the aforementioned "All the Presidents Men." The composition of the shots, although one can't tell how much of the director's input achieves these images, is terribly important in those two films. It hightened the suspense and mystery of the story. Of his more current films, "Presumed Innocent" achieved the same forbodding atmosphere.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Thu 20 Feb, 2003 02:34 pm
If you like Willis in b/w, what about STARDUST MEMORIES, the last film he shot for Woody Allen? The film itself is uneven but the imagery is eye-catching, especially in the flashback sequences.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 12:45 pm
That was Woody's other favorite film besides "Purple Rose of Cairo." As I remember that was filmed at the Hotel Del Coronado where "Some Like It Hot" was also filmed. It's kind of Woody's "8-1/2" and I should locate the DVD and see it again as I haven't seen it in year.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 02:47 pm
STARDUST MEMORIES was NOT filmed at the Hotel Del Coronado. If you know anything about Woody Allen you know that he'd rather submit to Chinese water torture than shoot a movie in California. The only exception is the LA sequence in ANNIE HALL, which of course satirizes LA.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 02:47 pm
STARDUST MEMORIES was NOT filmed at the Hotel Del Coronado. If you know anything about Woody Allen you know that he'd rather submit to Chinese water torture than shoot a movie in California. The only exception is the LA sequence in ANNIE HALL, which of course satirizes LA.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 06:34 pm
I only remember they used it as the facade of the hotel where the awards ceremony was going to take place, I didn't mean to entire film was done there. I'd have to see the film again to verify that and there isn't enough about the film on the Web to help (there's remarkably few reviews at IMDB or Rotten Tomatoes).
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 11:32 pm
Lightwizard, NONE of STARDUST MEMORIES was filmed thre. I'd bet money on that.
0 Replies

LarryBS

Reply Sat 22 Feb, 2003 11:53 pm
Play It Again Sam was filmed in San Francisco, but I can't remember any others except the sequence in Annie.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 12:50 pm
Woody Allen did not direct PLAY IT AGAIN SAM
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 01:20 pm
It's not important enough to bet on and I would have to see the film again to serve my memory -- I still remember the facade of the Hotel Del Coronado in the film even if only the cinematographer took the shots without the cast or Woody being there. Of course, I could be wrong and think of another film.

"Play It Again, Sam" was written by Woody Allen so larry is correct -- I'm sure he had no control over where it was filmed but Woody may have liked San Francisco.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 01:24 pm
(Exciting stage right as a majorette twirling the baton of critical and polular acclaim - whoops, I dropped it...)
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Sun 23 Feb, 2003 03:59 pm
Russ Meyer......wooooo.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Mon 24 Feb, 2003 09:09 pm
Can we please get back to cinematographers without these stupid digressions???
0 Replies