problem with my computer, can't start it properly.

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 02:01 pm
i installed this computer myself.

every since it started its life, it has one problem. sometimes, when i turn on the computer, the monitor won't start. it will still in the "power saving" mode.

the only way that i can do it is to unplug the power cord from the computer. and wait for a few minutes then restart again. it always works that way.

so what is wrong with my computer? thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 659 • Replies: 6
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 02:54 pm
Sounds like an ACPI issue - without more detail, sorta hard to pin down from here. See if any of This helps.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 12:48 am
what is acpi? if it is the problem, how can i fix it?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 01:26 am
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface .... one of those "Gee, thanks, Micro$oft" things that come with surprizes. It handles power management, which makes it a prime suspect for your monitor failing to come to life when you boot your machine.
0 Replies

youngman

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 01:20 pm
hello.

so i tried to start my computer today again! i unplug the power cord, didn't work. i opened the computer, unplug one of the power supply to the mother board, didn't work.

the comptuer will start, then tell me that it will start in the regular windows in 30 seconds. then i will get a blank page with one flashing cursor.

so i opened its bios or whatever it is called. and found that acpi thing. it was enabled. so i disabled it now.

would that do any damage to the computer? is it ok to diable the acpi forever? it seemed that it worked at least this time.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 02:02 pm
Won't hurt a thing to leave it disabled. As long as its properly configured, and there are no compatibilty issues with your particular setup, it serves a useful function, however. Click that link in my earlier post and read up on ACPI.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 02:24 pm
ACPI is, of course, not only a Microsoft thing (first of all the spec was developed by Intel, Toshiba and Microsoft). Basically, it makes hardware status info available to the OS, & allows a PC to turn its peripherals on and off for better power management (particularly in laptops). It also allows PCs to be turned on & off by external devices.

Timber tells the truth...disabling it won't cause any problems, it just won't afford you the functionality ACPI offers.
0 Replies