Indonesia struck by earthquake.

msolga

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:22 pm
dlowan wrote:
Yes.

Is it making anyone else sick that, on some threads, the usual political crap re "France sucks" "Bush sucks" is going on re amounts of aid????

YES!

Absolutely pathetic & very disappointing. <sigh>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:42 pm
<nodding>

Human nature, of course, but still... do we have to be so god-dammed human all the time???

I have that same sick pit-in-the-stomach feeling that wouldn't go away for weeks after the September 11th attacks.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 07:28 pm
Five million at risk
December 31, 2004 - 11:02AM
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/31/3112aceh3_wideweb__430x268.jpg
Th UN fears more children could die from disease than were killed by the earthquake and tsunami.
Photo: Reuters

..An estimated five million people have been displaced by the tsunami and are at risk across the region, Harsaran Pandey, spokeswoman for the World Health Organisation in South Asia, said.

The global health body said between one and three million of those affected were in Indonesia, with another one million in Sri Lanka. The rest were spread between India, the Maldives and other nations.

Indonesia, Sri Lanka and India, the countries that bore the brunt of the tsunami, continue to post the highest number of deaths. Indonesia's toll is close to 100,000, government and health officials said today, with 27,268 reported dead in Sri Lanka and 13,268 in India.

The death toll is expected to continue to rise today as more bodies are retrieved from the mud and wreckage, but in an overnight surge in aid, relief organisations now have more resources at their disposal. UN Secretary General Kofi Annan today announced half a billion dollars have now been raised or pledged for emergency relief. ...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/Five-million-at-risk/2004/12/31/1104344963049.html?oneclick=true
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 11:13 pm
Of course, those affected by tsunamis should be relieved. And possible epidemics could be serious to humans at large. Relief efforts must be a touch stone for the human society.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 02:15 am
Ikonos Satellite - Aceh Island Jan 10, 2003

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid152/p80f6f6645638b8363ec3d2f41fd0047e/f5b15397.jpg

Ikonos Satellite - Aceh Island Dec 30, 2004

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid152/pe855e253f7aaba112ff05fa8ca9e4884/f5b1537e.jpg
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 02:33 am
Piffka wrote:
<nodding>

Human nature, of course, but still... do we have to be so god-dammed human all the time???

I have that same sick pit-in-the-stomach feeling that wouldn't go away for weeks after the September 11th attacks.

Only different thing is that, at least, this was nature - not people plotting against each other knowingly to do harm.

I am just not letting it in, I think.

I have given as much as I can - other than that, I am just doing what I do about work stories.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 02:35 am
<nodding>
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 02:35 am
msolga wrote:
Five million at risk
December 31, 2004 - 11:02AM
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/12/31/3112aceh3_wideweb__430x268.jpg
Th UN fears more children could die from disease than were killed by the earthquake and tsunami.
Photo: Reuters

..An estimated five million people have been displaced by the tsunami and are at risk across the region, Harsaran Pandey, spokeswoman for the World Health Organisation in South Asia, said.

The global health body said between one and three million of those affected were in Indonesia, with another one million in Sri Lanka. The rest were spread between India, the Maldives and other nations.

Indonesia, Sri Lanka and India, the countries that bore the brunt of the tsunami, continue to post the highest number of deaths. Indonesia's toll is close to 100,000, government and health officials said today, with 27,268 reported dead in Sri Lanka and 13,268 in India.

The death toll is expected to continue to rise today as more bodies are retrieved from the mud and wreckage, but in an overnight surge in aid, relief organisations now have more resources at their disposal. UN Secretary General Kofi Annan today announced half a billion dollars have now been raised or pledged for emergency relief. ...

http://www.theage.com.au/news/World/Five-million-at-risk/2004/12/31/11

04344963049.html?oneclick=true

THAT is awful - I do hope we can save these poor folk - I admire the people who go there and DO it so much.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:05 am
Timber those photos show the devastation so well - horrific
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 09:43 am
Timber, do you have a scale for those photo's? It looks to me as if the water came inland at least a mile but that is just a guess.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 03:55 pm
Here is a link to PhotoMovie documents.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 04:33 pm
Quote:
Too many bodies to count, says Indonesia
By Philippe Naughton, Times Online

Indonesia has given up on trying to count the exact number of dead from Sunday's Indian Ocean tsunami so it can get on with the task of burying tens of thousands of disaster victims whose corpses lay rotting on the devastated island of Sumatra.

As the sun set on Asia for the last time this year, millions were homeless, many of them with no clean water to drink and little or no food.

New Year's parties across the region have been cancelled and the tinsel and decorations removed from hotels, bars and offices, even in areas well away from the destruction.

The traditional new year fireworks over Sydney Harbour went ahead as scheduled, but only after a minute's silence and in a notably more subdued atmosphere than normal. Paris draped black crepe over the trees on the Champs Elysees as a mark of respect.

America, under pressure about the amount of aid it had given to the disaster relief,  dramatically raised its contribution from $35 to $350 million.

The White House has suggested the tenfold increase could be further boosted after a delegation led by Colin Powell reports back from its visit to the devastated areas next week.

British donors continued to give at an unprecedented rate after the Boxing Day disaster. An emergency appeal launched on Wednesday night had already raised £45 million by this evening - at a rate of almost £1 million an hour - and individual charities were raising millions more independently.

"Many of us are going to be bringing in the New Year tonight. As we do, let's spare a thought for the millions who have been left homeless or who have lost family members as a result of this tragic disaster," said Brendan Gormley, head of the Disasters Emergency Committee. "Even the cost of a pint or a glass of wine can make a difference."

As the global relief effort stepped up a gear, Siti Fadilah Supari, the Indonesian Health Minister, said her officials would now offer only general estimates of the death toll because there were simply too many bodies to count.

Government pledges for the relief effort now total more than half a billion dollars, almost one-fifth of it committed by Britain.

But the aid is just beginning to get through and more harrowing tales emerged of bodies rotting in the sun and homeless villagers, their faces covered with masks against disease, begging food and water from rescue workers as they search for corpses.

The last official death toll from Indonesia was more than 79,000 but officials said it was expected to hit six figures. That would bring the total killed in the disaster to more than 140,000 in ten countries.

Laila Freivalds, the Swedish Foreign Minister, predicted a final death toll approaching 200,000 as she returned from a trip to the region. Some 3,500 Swedes are still unaccounted for, many of them along the Khao Lak beach strip in Thailand.

A US naval battle group led by the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln was heading to take up position off Sumatra, where it will lead a multinational military effort to assist the survivors. It will be joined by warships from Singapore, Australia, India and Malaysia.

A second US marine strike group is heading westward from the Pacific territory of Guam for the seas off Sri Lanka to help bring water and medical supplies to millions left homeless by the tsunami. A Thai Navy air base used by US B-52 bombers during the Vietnam War is turning into the hub for the relief effort.

Two Royal Navy ships and an RAF cargo plane are also being dispatched to the area, either to Sri Lanka or the Maldives. Downing Street said that the decision to commit UK military forces to the aid effort was made this morning by Tony Blair, after talks with John Prescott, the Deputy Prime Minister, and Jack Straw, the Foreign Secretary.

"This is an unprecedented global catastrophe and it requires an unprecedented global response," said Kofi Annan, the UN Secretary-General. "Not only are were going to be stretched in terms of manpower and human resources, but we are also going to be stretched technically and financially."

Aid trucks laden with food, medicines and body bags rolled across Asia. Aircraft dropped supplies to cut-off villages as the relief operation, the biggest in history, finally swung into gear. Giant transport planes from Australia and Singapore landed at Banda Aceh, capital of Indonesia's worst-hit Aceh province.

Experts warned that even before corpses could be counted, contagious disease could kill more, with children most at risk. "People need to be treated now so they don't get deep infections," said Peter Sharwood, an Australian surgeon in Aceh. Those who had life-threatening injuries to start with have probably already died."

Indonesia said it would host an international tsunami summit on January 6 to hammer out aid and reconstruction needs after what looks set to be the most lethal natural disaster since China's Tangshan earthquake in 1976 killed at least a quarter of a million people.

Colin Powell, the US Secretary of State, will visit the region on Sunday, heading an assessment team that will also include Jeb Bush, President Bush's brother and the Governor of hurricane-scarred Florida.

The known toll of foreign tourists killed around Thailand's Khao Lak beach neared 2,000 and was still rising. "They just keep coming," Marko Cunningham, a New Zealand volunteer, told Reuters at one of the Buddhist temples near the beach turned into a temporary mortuary as a truck pulled in with another load of bloated Thai and foreign bodies.

At least 1,927 foreigners died on Khao Lak, where the wall of water smashed into luxury hotels packed with European tourists enjoying a Christmas break in the sun. Most of them were Scandinavians, German and French. The national disaster centre said the death toll in Thailand was now 4,541, at least 2,230 of them foreigners.

So far, 29 Britons are known to have died in the tsunami, but that tally is set to rise. Britain's ambassador in Thailand, David Fall, said yesterday that the final death toll among British tourists could reach the hundreds.

Twenty miles north of Khao Lak, the fishing village of Ban Namkhen, where an estimated 5,000 people lived, was virtually wiped out, covered in a sea of mud. Only a handful of people are known to have survived.

The bodies arriving at the makeshift mortuaries were unrecognisable after so long in the tropical heat, some so decomposed they were half liquid. "Everyone is sick of it," said Mr Cunningham. "I can see people shirking, just like me. The last truck yesterday, I just couldn't handle it."

Sri Lanka, far further from the quake but savagely hit, raised its death toll to more than 28,500 people. "The death toll will keep rising. The true figure will probably never be known because people are burying the corpses where they find them," said Anjali Kwatra, leader of Sri Lanka's Christian Aid emergency assessment team.

Starvation, injury and disease were pushing massive numbers of refugees in Sumatra's Aceh province closer to death with each passing hour. UN officials warned.

"The indications are the disaster is going to be a lot worse than we have anticipated already," a Unicef's John Budd said. "Aceh really is ground zero."

Mr Budd said that up to 500,000 people were "extremely vulnerable" because of a lack of shelter, while 900,000 children were suffering from a combination of illness, injury, trauma, separation from families and being orphaned.

He said there was a desperate shortage of food and fuel across the province, which had already suffered from a lack of infrastructure due to a decades-long violent struggle between separatist rebels and the government. Indonesian officials said troops in the province were still fighting the rebels while trying to help channel aid supplies to tsunami victims.

"There's no food, there's no fuel, it's a cruel situation, "Mr Budd said. "If we get food in, say, rice, there is no pure water or fuel to cook it. We are desperately trying to break this cycle."

The Times of London
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 05:14 pm
dlowan wrote:
Piffka wrote:
<nodding>

Only different thing is that, at least, this was nature - not people plotting against each other knowingly to do harm.

I am just not letting it in, I think.

I have given as much as I can - other than that, I am just doing what I do about work stories.

Ahhh, I meant, it was human nature to be comparing who is giving how much aid and whether it is stingy, or enough, or more than someone else.

There is a very interesting story about the Research Laboratory in Seattle and other NOAA researchers finding out about the earthquake, recognizing that there would be a tsunami, but having no one to tell. Here's the story and a couple of links:

Scientists in Pacific saw events unfold...

Pacific Marine Environmental Research Lab

They have a very interesting set of Tsunami graphics & simulations, including one for a worst-case-scenario for Seattle. (which is a little alarming)

The biggest help for these latest disaster victims would have been for them to recognize the danger when they saw and heard it. They are reporting that very few animals were found dead -- they knew to skeedaddle, I guess.

Times of India -- Far Fewer Dead Animals Than Expected
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 07:25 pm
Piffka wrote:

"Ahhh, I meant, it was human nature to be comparing who is giving how much aid and whether it is stingy, or enough, or more than someone else. "

I knew that, Piff, I was just off commenting on the comparison with Sept 11ths awfulness - that there was a special awfulness knowing that humans had chosen to do it to each other.

Like we do every day, I guess - only not in a city like NY, and not in the glare of a million TV cameras.

That is awful about the possible warnings.....

I wonder what it will be like for survivors that health necessitates they give up counting - and, I suppose, bury/burn with little or no ceremony??????

I know how the Balinese ceremonialized the deaths in the bombing there - (not that all the bodies were not found and identified and counted and such) and cleansed the site - it must be awful not to know where a loved one's body is, or what happened to them......
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 08:03 pm
Here are some links..

AlertNet

Blog From Jaffna, Sri Lanka

Andaman Island Tsunami Updates

Phuket Tsunami Blog

(It is fortunate for Bangladesh, one of the poorest countries, not to have been hit by the tsunamis seriously.)
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 31 Dec, 2004 10:46 pm
Those are good links, Satt, thanks for adding them.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 05:05 am
Tsunamis devastate Asia
27/12/2004
ABC News/online photo gallery

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200412/s1272629.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 05:37 am
Woes of Aceh a metaphor for state
By Louise Williams/SMH
January 1, 2005

The drab, suspicious towns of Aceh's coastal flats are unaccustomed to goodwill.

A lifetime of armed rebellion against Jakarta's oppressive authority and the familiar drone of military patrols along the narrow local roads have long nurtured hatred and fear.

In recent years hopes for peace have, briefly, flared. Repentant Indonesian politicians and officials have traipsed into Aceh's tatty town squares. Torture centres have been boarded up, their victims exhumed from unmarked graves, promises made. Then, intrasigence on both sides, and more bloodshed.

Yet when the tsunami hit the huddle of wooden buildings of waterfront Sigli, wardens at the local prison rushed to help the inmates.

Many prisoners freed were members of Movement for a Free Aceh, GAM, jailed over their grinding, violent campaign for independence. It was one very small story, amid unimaginable human suffering. The next day, when a message was put out asking prisoners to return to help, nearly all of them did.

Across Aceh tragedy has suspended one of Asia's longest-running wars.

"This is a very, very important moment," said Arbi Sanit, a political scientist at the University of Indonesia, of the prospects of building peace out of Aceh's ruins

In a single day three, perhaps four, times more people perished than in 28 years of fighting.

"We just must now see the war in a different light," said Rizal Mallerangang, a political analyst.

Dr Sanit said:"There is an enormous outpouring of sympathy and support for Aceh from ordinary Indonesians. This is the moment to invite the people of Aceh back into Indonesia....
<cont.>

<complete article>
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Asia-Tsunami/Woes-of-Aceh-a-metaphor-for-state/2004/12/31/1104344987425.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 1 Jan, 2005 06:33 am
Good luck for sanity prevailing for long, she said bitterly.
0 Replies

satt fs

Reply Sun 2 Jan, 2005 11:49 pm
"A Swedish tourist who was pictured running into the Asian tsunami to save her family survived the catastrophe, as did her children, it has been revealed.."

famous formidable picture
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40683000/jpg/_40683549_woman-afp203.jpg

blog
0 Replies