Indonesia struck by earthquake.

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 02:27 pm
Good for you, BBB. I'm a long-time contributor to Medecins sans Frontiers. What you and I and others give is just a drop in the bucket, of c9ourse, but I suppose every little bit helps.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 03:31 pm
Merry
Merry, I met a number of the Doctors Without Borders in conjunction with my job when I was, for 10 years, a representative of the Union of American Physicians and Dentists. They were my favorite physicians and I have immense respect for them and their goals.

BBB
0 Replies

rainforest

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 10:25 pm
http://edition.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/12/28/tsunami.aidsites/index.html

An excellent blog from CNN that gives links to all major organisations involved in rescue and are accepting donations.

Pl. click to get the details.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 29 Dec, 2004 11:08 pm
dlowan wrote:
McTag - methinks you will get more and more learned replies to that question if you open a new thread with that as the question.

Thanks BBB for your reasoning.

I am a member or whatever the heck it is of Oxfam...hmmmm -

Oxfam = Community Aid Abroad in Oz.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 01:16 pm
MoveOn.org recommends Oxfam, too
[quote="BumbleBeeBoogie"]I just sent a contribution to Oxfam, the organization that seems to be doing the best job of getting aid quickly to the tsunami victims.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/

BBB[/quote]

The MoveOn.org also recommends Oxfam as a great organization to donate to for tsunami victim aid. ---BBB

FROM MOVEON.ORG 12/30/04

The tsunami in southern Asia and Africa may be the worst natural disaster of our time. More than 116,000 lives were wiped out within hours. The toll in death and suffering from smashed cities, broken families, rampant disease, and crippled economies cannot even be calculated. In the face of this horror, MoveOn members have poured in requests to help, asking how we can push through our sadness and lend a hand.

Rising to this challenge is at the heart of global leadership, and the world is depending on us. The U.S. government can lead billions of dollars of aid into this relief effort, if it chooses. Americans are generous and ready to step forward, but the U.S. Congress and the Bush administration have made a weak initial contribution to the effort -- first offering $15 million and then $35 million when they came under pressure. Clearly, we can do more.

Let Congress and the President know that Americans are supporting strong leadership in this relief effort -- that millions of lives are at stake and we have to help. In this hour of need, if America chooses to embrace our role as a world leader, we can have an unparalleled impact.

But we can't just wait for this Congress to move. We can help directly, as individuals, and save lives today. Our friends at Oxfam are already scrambling on the front lines to fight off starvation and disease -- and beginning to rebuild. Because Oxfam has worked for years with grassroots groups in the hardest hit areas, they were able to mobilize local leadership to help survivors immediately after the tsunami hit. And Oxfam will be there for the long-term, helping communities recover and regain their ability to meet basic needs. Oxfam needs to raise $5 million immediately to provide safe water, sanitation, food, shelter, and clothing to 36,000 families in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, and India. Your contribution can make this possible.

Of course, Oxfam is only one of dozens of great organizations, like UNICEF, CARE, and the Red Cross/Red Crescent, rushing to help with the immediate need. Their efforts give the victims a head start, but it won't be enough unless the great nations of the world step forward in a big way for the long-term challenges.

Indonesia, by far the hardest hit country, is also the world's largest Muslim nation. Their estimated death toll stands at 85,000 -- in some areas, 1 out of 4 people have already been killed. Now it's time for America to show its true colors. We want to be known as a nation that leads the world with compassion, generosity, and community -- not with disastrous foreign military adventures. We are a nation that values human life, family, and extending freedom and opportunity to where it is most needed. We must now reach out in a serious way to do just that.

The $35 million offered by the Bush administration seems like a lot of money, but it's insignificant compared to what's needed in a disaster relief effort than spans continents and is expected to be the most expensive in history. To put it in perspective, we're spending $35 million in Iraq every 7 hours. (The Bush administration is about to ask for another $80 billion to cover the next installment of this tragic occupation.)

We can and will do better. Thanks for doing your part to show the true generosity of the American spirit.

Sincerely,

--Adam, Ben, Carrie, Eli, James, Joan, Justin, Laura, Mari, Noah, Rosalyn, and Wes
The MoveOn.org Team
December 30th, 2004
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 01:23 pm
$35 million is indeed a small amount - Britain has pledged £50 million and the public are raising funds at £1million per hour at the moment.]

I too belong to Oxfam

The horror grows, 125,000 confirmed dead at the moment but rising all the time. The pictures have been heartbreaking.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 01:53 pm
Most recent report I've heard -- 170,000 dead. The figures are beyond comprehension.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 01:53 pm
Re: dlowan
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
dlowan, I've been watching CNN and the BBC for info. I waited until today to make my $100 donation until I decided Oxfam seems to be the one aid organization that is already on the ground providing drinking water, medical supplies, etc. especially in Sri Lanka. I think Oxfam knows what is actually needed better than some of the US organizations because because they focus on helping the poor in third world countries rather than just natural disaster victims. The other organizations seems to be waiting to learn what supplies and services are requested by government. Oxfam didn't wait and started providing supplies immediately.

One thing I'm waiting to see happen is for the brewery companies throughout the world to start shipping in fresh drinking water in beer cans as they've done in the past. If the victims don't receive fresh uncontaminated drinking water soon, the death numbers will double and triple due to disease from bad water. Most fresh water supplies are contaminated by sea water and sewage and safe water is a critical need.

BBB

agreed - they seem to understand priorities
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 02:49 pm
I heard Jan Egeland say in national public radio interview that hundreds of billions of dollars would be needed to restore the communities (All Things Considered). I don't know how that can ever be done. This is a disaster from which the world may never fully recover.

It is fair to remember that, in defense of the slow start, the first reports said 2,500-3,000 had died. As the news has gotten more and more dreadful, much more money and aid has been pledged.

I think the sending of US Navy ships with their vast & high-tech resources is one of the best things the United States can do. I hope we will send more and they can lay off the coasts of each of the affected countries, making fresh water from salt water, offering hospital & medical facilities, and ready transportation from their on-ship vehicles & watercraft.

Our state checks on and gives a simple report of the accounting records of all charitible organizations active in this state.

This is the website: http://www.secstate.wa.gov/charities/

According to them, Oxfam, America delivers 77% of their funds to their activities, World Vision, Inc. delivers 83%. Both of those are okay percentages -- it used to be that some "charities" delivered less than 50% of the money they took in before this oversight began. There are several charities that offer an even better value: Lutheran Relief delivered 98% of their funds to program services. Save the Children delivers 91%.

We've been helping a small Catholic orphanage in Tamil Nadu for the last few years and even though India isn't requesting help, I think we'll continue to send donations there -- they are on-the-ground and have been helping their local poor of all ages for years.

http://helptheneedy.tripod.com/donation/dtneeds.htm
Quote:
Donations Needed for St. Joseph's Social Welfare Center
Your generous & kind donations help us to sustain our work to look after the poor and the needy.

Send to USA: Father Joseph
c/o Ralph L. Tindal
8705 Falkstone Lane
Alexandria, VA 22309-4004
or
Send to INDIA: Father Joseph
St. Joseph's Orphanage
Vellamadam P.O. 629305
K-K-DT Tamilnadu, India

Every dollar of your donation goes directly to the child or beneficiary and not to an organization. Donations are US Tax Deductible. Please make checks payable to Father Joseph.

If you wish to contribute directly, please send the checks to:
St.Joseph's Social Welfare Trust
A/c No:12460 INDIAN BANK, NAGERCOIL,
Kanyakumari District, TamilNadu, INDIA, 629001.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 03:21 pm
Among the inapprehensible number of more than 100,000 dead are now (affirmed) at least 2,500 foreigners - and more than 1,000 (each) Swedish and German tourists are still missing, among numerous others from other countries.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 03:33 pm
Quote:
The death toll from the disaster is continuing to rise as relief workers reach more remote areas. At least 117,000 people are now confirmed dead.

BBC a few moments ago
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 03:35 pm
Quote:
KEY AID PLEDGES

World Bank $250m
UK $96m
EU $44m
US: $35m
Canada: $33m
Japan: $30m
Australia: $27m
France: $20.4m
Denmark: $15.6m
Saudi Arabia: $10m

Source: Reuters, United Nations

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4136153.stm
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 03:36 pm
Our office was closed til yesterday.

Odd to see the papers from earlier this week arriving.

12,000 confirmed dead
23,000 confirmed dead
death toll estimated to exceed 60,000
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 03:44 pm
Remember when Acquiunk posted this? (At the time it was reported that 7,000 had died.)

Quote:
I think that number is just a guess. This was one of the most powerful quakes of the last 100 years and the numbers are going to get a lot worse.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 03:46 pm
dlowan wrote:
News worsening:

Death toll nears 200 after quake, tsunamis strike southern Asia

A massive earthquake off northern Indonesia has unleashed giant tidal waves and flash floods across southern Asia, leaving at least 196 people dead and hundreds more missing.

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 3:45 am
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 03:55 pm
Wow. I had no idea that at one time it was thought just 196 had died. The death and devastation is just unbelievable.

I'm wondering about Myanmar -- so much coastline and yet so few deaths reported.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 04:18 pm
125 thousand dead and 5 million without the basic neccessities for life.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:09 pm
It's simply too hard to try to make any sense of what's happened/happening.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:18 pm
Yes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 30 Dec, 2004 06:19 pm
Yes.

Is it making anyone else sick that, on some threads, the usual political crap re "France sucks" "Bush sucks" is going on re amounts of aid????
0 Replies