Ah, the agony! I need some guidance!

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 10:20 pm
Hello,

Let me introduce myself, I am Kyle - still studying in high school. I am an aspiring attorney. It is my dream. It is all i think about and worry about.

Being 16 years old, i am under immense pressure; SATs and maintaining a high average (which i do not have at the moment). Recently i got struck by "lightining"; a surge of inspiration. I am DETERMINED to be a lawyer and will do anything. It is my passion. My rush.

My problem? I worry too much. I feel utterly helpless. I do not know what to do to prepare for law school and beyond. I joined Mock Trials and i was selected to be the pros. But its not enough. My SAT result is low, so i signed up for the Jan. 22 SAT.

Any suggestions? I strive for schools such as UPENN, NYU... and i feel hopeless if i do not get admitted... so much pressure...

You may think i am obbsessed with Law. No, its is just my passion. Do not judge, for you do not know what i have been through. [I want Justice..i do not want anyone to be treated unfairly as i have...]
i fear i will not get a chance...to advocate...justice.

Please help me attain my goals...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 907 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Lash

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 10:35 pm
Kyle.

Hello and welcome.

You're gonna have to stop this worrying for justice right away, or you'll wind up drooling in a psych ward before you're twenty-four.

Justice will be ok.

As for cutting into that worry--worry fills the void left by lack of planning. Stop worrying and begin to prepare. And, remember ----all the energy you use up on worry is energy you needed to cram in all the information you require to prepare for law school....

You've got plenty of time to prepare. Write a couple of law schools and ask them the criteria for admission. You know you've got to be extremely strong in reading comprehension and need a sharp memory-- Research how to build those and get busy.

I'm sure there are books about preparing for a career in law--start reading.

Excessive worry kills. You're probably doing on purpose--but making yourself believe you're not--because you're overcompensating for some real or imagined failure or shortcoming.

Stop it. It will ruin your life. Where is the pressure coming from?
0 Replies

Kyle esq

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 10:37 pm
Myself.

At times, I'm becoming my own worst enemy.

You are absolutely correct. My worrying served to fill up the void of lack of planning and acually doing something about it.

I recently drew up a schedule which will take into effect tomorrow. It incororates reading often, doing hw, working ahead of class and reviewing materials done in class. With of course some free time for working out at the gym and just resting with the music drowining out my worries...

I have plently of books i have yet to read... I think i have everything i need. All i have to do..is do it!

But the pressure. I need to do extremely well on the SATs (when i first took it...it DID miserable - when i practiced at home... did much better!)
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 10:44 pm
If you're already this tense at 16, you are headed for misery, unless you get control of your 'worry'.

Do you feel high-strung...nervous, like something is always on the verge of going wrong?

Don't feel like you have to answer--but does either of your parents or other close family member have a 'nervous disorder' or take medication to help them 'be calm'?

Do you feel comfortable around your friends?

Do you feel that your parents accept you? Do you think they're proud of you?

When something DOES go wrong, do you get nauseated?

(Don't feel like I expect you to answer. You can if you choose.)
0 Replies

Kyle esq

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 11:02 pm
In order from top to bottom,

1) Yes and no. I am not the type of person you see me as. I am relaxed, mature and serious. I worry about the future. Yet i can't help think, "what if." And i begin to look at things negitivly. People always tell me i have a knack for arguing. Yet i feel that i will fail under competition; of getting into the college of my dreams and the law school of my dreams (which i have not yet decided..its to early for that Razz) - If i get into the schools of my chose (UPENN, NYU...)...my only fear is not getting accepted to the school of which i desire. That is my only obstacle...which i need to overcome.

2) No. And i do not have any disorders (and im not in denial Razz). I just want a great start in life by going to a good college; Upenn...nyu.. Before, when i was younger, i didn't know how to study..i slacked off and that brought me down and i fear it is to late. Only now, i have begun to change my ways. The process is almost complete...now i must get into the habit. (that is my i est my schedule Smile

3) Very!

4) Yes. My dad is proud when he sees me study. My mom, is always proud of me. I am my critic.

5) No. I am under control. When things go wrong i handle it well. But if this goes wrong...I do not want this to go wrong.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 11:16 pm
I read too much into a couple of your statements.

Good Luck.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 04:57 am
Quote:
If i get into the schools of my chose (UPENN, NYU...)...my only fear is not getting accepted to the school of which i desire. That is my only obstacle...which i need to overcome.

Kyle.esq - Welcome to A2K! Very Happy

First things first. You have set up a very high bar for yourself. There are many fine attorneys who could never get into these top rated schools that you have mentioned. Check out other schools, and use them as a "plan B" in case that you are not accepted into your first two choices.

Stop pressuring yourself. By aiming so high, you are engendering a lot of anxiety within yourself. Get a sense of what is achievable for you, and hone your skills. By doing so in these next few years, you may just be material for the law schools that you want.

Cool out. Read a lot, and write as much as you can. One suggestion.............Get in the habit of NOT writing computerese. Train yourself to write properly. (I am looking at where you consistently write the word "i" in small letters.) That will never wash if you have to type an essay for law school admission. Also, look at the word "chose" in what I have quoted. I am not being picky. You need to develop good writing skills......an attorney needs that. Get involved in community activities, where you will have the opportunity to learn to speak in front of groups of people.

You are sixteen. You have plenty of time to learn those things that you will need to become an attorney. But you need to begin to prepare for that time.

Quote:
Do not judge, for you do not know what i have been through. [I want Justice..i do not want anyone to be treated unfairly as i have...]

Would you please clarify what you mean by that statement?
0 Replies

Kyle esq

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 08:53 am
Quote:
Do not judge, for you do not know what i have been through. [I want Justice..i do not want anyone to be treated unfairly as i have...]

Yes, i was a bit vague. My dad was rushing me to go to bed. It was quite late, at the time.

To put it bluntly: I Have been through alot of **** in my life. And I want the best for everyone...Justice.

Does it matter what college you go to? (Not Law School; that i can work on and get into any. I had a late start for college)

What can I do to improve my writing? I started to read alot. Is there anything else I can do that will improve my writing skills and other ness. skills for a lawyer?
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 12:36 pm
Strive for higher grades in Language Arts. Take advanced classes in Literature, Composition. Work on your spelling.
0 Replies

Kyle esq

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 01:09 pm
Good advice!

1) How should i work on my grammer? I tend to have grammatical errors when writing papers...

2) When it comes to reading...Does it matter which book you read?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 26 Dec, 2004 02:51 pm
It doesn't matter too much which undergrad school you go to, although Law School admissions offices will weigh more difficult schools (such as Ivy Leagues) accordingly. Grammar is important, all lawyers do a lot of writing. You may only see trial work on TV and in the movies, but the reality is that a lot of time is spent writing - briefs, motions, reports, letters, etc. So learn to write, and write well.

There's a topic in this forum which I believe will be of help to you. Here it is: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40678
0 Replies