Cubs Computer Won't Let Me Reformat! Posessed?

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 06:33 pm
The cubs, (gotta love 'em), have done a doozie with their computer. Boy cub goes all over the place playing games and downloading stuff. Entire screen was covered with icons/shortcuts. Huge mess. To top it off, every time it starts it gives an Explorer error that if you click to close, it closes out the entire desktop! Can't do anything then.

So, besides Christmas dinner and kitchen clean up - and already sick for a week to boot, I am also trying to reload their OS to wipe out their system and start over.

I turned on the computer with the Windows 98 disc in the drive. The silly thing went right through the regular start up - ignoring the disc - and gave me the same Explorer error.

I turned it off and back on, hit esc to enter set up and went to Bios and set it to boot from the D Drive.

Restarted and it DID boot through the D Drive and pick up the Windows 98 OS disc. it asks me if that was really what I wanted to do since I would lose everything and I said yes.

It goes through about 25 minutes of loading Windows 98 from the disc, complete with turtorial while I wait and...

UP POPS THE EXACT SAME DESKTOP, ICONS and EXPLORER ERROR!!!

Is their computer posessed or did I do something wrong?

BTW, this is the Windows 98 CD that came with the computer and says "For computers without an OS" I also have one that came with the computer that says "Windows 98 Setup" and I have tried that one too but with the same result.

Any ideas?

Oh, and Merry Christmas!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 841 • Replies: 1
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 07:49 pm
Have you tried to boot the machine into safemode? What happens?

Anyhow, it bein' the cubs' 'puter, might be best to do a boot-from-setup-floppy and run a full format-and-clean-install. That means reloadin' all drivers, apps, and Windows/IE/OE updates, of course, and total data loss, but at least you can control what goes on there the first time around. There are ways to prevent them from installin' stuff on their own, too - but that's for later, if ya want it.
0 Replies