Catalonia wants out; Spain says no

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 10:02 am
@Walter Hinteler,
During a ceremony to mark Catalonia's national day, the German captain of the rescue ship "Sea-Watch 3", who helped save the lives of 40 refugees, was honoured. The medal was presented by Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola.

https://i.imgur.com/pMY7MkSh.jpg
https://twitter.com/CaroRackete/status/1171644921482227713

The Spanish football manager and former Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola read the eulogy in honor of a German rescue ship captain for her work helping refugees in the Mediterranean.

Carola Rackete accepted a medal at the award ceremony Tuesday. "There is one thing I want to say clearly: Medals and words are not enough," she said, and pleaded instead for "concrete actions and solidarity."

Guardiola, who manages Manchester City football team, commended her actions, saying: "A world which does not save is a world which is sinking, and our society will drown."

The founder of the Spanish aid organisation "Proactiva Open Arms", Oscar Camps, was also honoured with a medal at the ceremony by Catalonia's regional parliament to mark their national day.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 10:35 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Thousands of Spaniards gathered Wednesday for Catalonia's annual September 11 rally marking the fall of Barcelona to Spanish forces in 1714.

Organizers said they expected some 450,000 people to take to the streets in support of further attempts to break away from Spain.

https://i.imgur.com/21ADy8I.jpg
https://twitter.com/sanchezcastejon/status/1171662188236460032

Though the September 11 commemoration, known as Daida, has been long celebrated, separatists began using it as an opportunity to rally for independence in 2012. In the past, as many as one million Catalans have participated.

Recent polls, however, indicate that support for independence is on the wane, with only 44% of respondents voicing support for it and 49% opposition to it in a state-wide July poll.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 11 Sep, 2019 12:33 pm
@Walter Hinteler,

Catalan independence rally draws smallest crowd in seven years
Quote:
More than half a million people have gathered in Barcelona on Catalonia’s national day (Diada) to renew calls for regional independence as Spain awaits the verdict in the landmark trial of 12 separatist leaders over the failed breakaway bid two years ago.

Despite the politically charged atmosphere, police in the Catalan capital said that around 600,000 people had taken part in the annual event – dramatically down on the 1 million who turned out for the previous two Diadas.

Although the occasion officially commemorates the fall of Barcelona at the end of the Spanish war of succession in 1714, in recent years pro-independence groups have used it as a show of strength and a means to focus attention on the cause.

When the independence movement first erupted in 2012, 1.5 million people took part in the Diada, rising to 1.8 million two years later.

This year’s decreased turnout – the lowest in seven years – comes amid growing splits, squabbling and uncertainty within the secessionist movement.

Speaking on the eve of the Diada, Catalonia’s pro-independence regional president, Quim Torra, had urged people to “take to the streets and squares to proclaim our full and non-negotiable commitment to democracy, to social, civil and political rights, and to the flag of freedom, always and everywhere”.
[...]
In the lead-up to the rally, the streets of Barcelona had filled with people waving striped red-and-yellow Catalan flags and wearing T-shirts bearing separatist slogans.

“If we, the people, don’t take action, all these years will have been for nothing,” Marc Casanova, a 37-year-old teacher, told Agence France-Presse.

He said that, once the verdicts had been handed down, Catalans should follow the example of the “yellow vest” demonstrators in France and block roads, ports and airports – “but without the violence or vandalism”.

Earlier this week the regional vice-president, Pere Aragonès, said the court’s decision could trigger “massive, peaceful civil demonstrations” and lead to the formation of a regional “government of national unity” to try to force the Spanish government to seek a negotiated, political solution.

The independence movement has lost momentum as different blocs argue over the best way forward.

Torra and Puigdemont favour a continuing confrontation with Madrid, while Junqueras and Aragonès’ Catalan Republican Left party are more inclined towards negotiations.

“I don’t believe in politicians,” Cristina Montero, who attended the march with her partner and teenage son, told Reuters.

“I believe in the sentiment of the people coming here.”
0 Replies