My Annual Christmas Message

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:20 pm
As those of you who have been here and over in Abuzz for the last five years...I've made it a practice to observe a truce of a sorts with Christians during the Christmas season. Christmastime has always held a special place in my heart...and normally it is very difficult for me to feel anything but love and brotherhood for anyone at this time of year.

This year I didn't.

My reasons for feeling differently this year can probably best be summed up by the following short few thoughts:

To my Islamic brothers and sisters...I feel it unnecessary to call this to your attention, but I will do it anyway.

YOU have primary responsibility for reining in the excesses of your more militant brothers and sisters. We...those of us on the outside of your faith...cannot.

We will try.

Oh, yes, we...especially in form of people like those in the Bush administration...will try. But the best we can do is to make things worse.

YOU MUST DO IT...and you must do it immediately...and with urgency.

To my Christian brothers and sisters...I feel it unnecessary to call this to your attention, but I will do it anyway.

YOU have primary responsibility for reining in the excesses of your more militant brothers and sisters. We...those of us on the outside of your faith...cannot.

We will try.

Oh, yes, we...especially in the form of people who agitate and sue...will try. But the best we can do is to make things worse.

YOU MUST DO IT...and you must do it immediately...and with urgency.

To my Christian and Islamic brothers and sisters...this last thought.

If you don't do it...WE WILL MAKE THINGS WORSEÂ…because we will not let you abuse us.

Do not think otherwise...because you will be kidding yourselves.

Get this religion stuff under control...and do it immediately and with urgency.

There is so very much riding on it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,101 • Replies: 15
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:31 pm
Well said Frank. Hope you find some room for warmth and joy appropriate to the season anyyhow.

Hell, if ya ask me, its long since time we put Mithras back into the Saturnalia. After all - that IS The Original Reason for the Season
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:31 pm
Ah, frank, the great uniter. Merry Christmas, frank. And, I agree with the message you have presented us. Got to get it together, folks, before the wheels come off.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 12:57 pm
Merry Christmas, Frank. I'm hoping for a New Year dedicated to common sense and good will.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 04:08 pm
Merry christmas Frank, I agree as well.
0 Replies

sublime1

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 08:11 pm
Well said. Have a Merry Christmas Frank
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 24 Dec, 2004 10:29 pm
Well, all my cubs are asleep, the presents are wrapped and squinney and I just had an egg nog with Santa. We told him you weren't feeling it this year and were humbugging it. As he rode out of sight he told me to tell you he was going to kick your ass, and drop reindeer **** all over New Jersey Dave Matthews style.

I love ya Frank, I'm just the messenger. Happy Holidays.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 02:32 am
I'm sorry, Bear, I couldn't hear ya. Somebody dropped reindeer **** in my ear. Could ya say again?
0 Replies

smorgs

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 02:41 am
Words of wisdom Frank........A very Merry Christmas to you and yours, from me and mine.

x
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 08:56 am
I just hope everything holds together long enough for me to become a cyborg!

But I've got a crawling feeling that people are secretly fond of the extremists in their groups.
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Sat 25 Dec, 2004 09:38 am
BTW, WOW, SNOW IN HOUSTON!

first time since I've been here... 7 years!
0 Replies

jane0905

Reply Wed 5 Jan, 2005 09:07 pm
Amen, Frank

I am a Catholic, but, I too have felt the effects of militant christianity from my evangelical brother-in-law and others. What my catholicism says to me is to love, plain and simple. I know that may not be the experience of others out there; but, it is my belief regardless of other catholics.

The world is becoming too polarized for comfort. Let's get back to the basics - example, you fall, I help you up or vice versa.

Merry Christmas, anyway, Frank
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 03:18 am
jane0905 wrote:
Amen, Frank

I am a Catholic, but, I too have felt the effects of militant christianity from my evangelical brother-in-law and others. What my catholicism says to me is to love, plain and simple. I know that may not be the experience of others out there; but, it is my belief regardless of other catholics.

The world is becoming too polarized for comfort. Let's get back to the basics - example, you fall, I help you up or vice versa.

Merry Christmas, anyway, Frank

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year...and welcome to A2K, Jane.

Hope you stick around and participate in some of the fun.

f.
0 Replies

jane0905

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 06:37 pm
and Happy New Year to you Frank.

Thank you for the welcome. There is such a wide range of opinions here. I think this is my fifth post.

Just getting my feet wet!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 08:33 pm
Jeez, Jane - be careful getting your feet wet - with your weather - foot rot could be a tad unpleasant!! Smile

G'day Frank, and HNY from 'ere!
0 Replies

jane0905

Reply Thu 6 Jan, 2005 09:02 pm
thank you, Margo, for your concern for my toes.

With all of the crazy weather, my area seems to be least affected. It has been pretty warm for this time of year; though, it has rained for the past few days--pretty depressing..we are in that corridor between the two extremes.

Still wouldn't mind being in your area---lucky you!!
0 Replies