Help with a sentence with pronouns.

DAGG3R

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 06:56 am
Here is a simple set of sentences.
I kept a football in the window.
Dave was going to college.
He saw it and he liked it.

My question is what is "it" in the last sentence.
I've asked this question to plenty of people and they all have answered football. And I'm one of them.
But then my question is how?
How did we resolve that it = football in the above sentence? What part of the narrative gave that away?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 773 • Replies: 7
No top replies

centrox

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 07:01 am
@DAGG3R,
DAGG3R wrote:

How did we resolve that it = football in the above sentence? What part of the narrative gave that away?

The thing, situation or idea previously talked about.
DAGG3R

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 07:45 am
@centrox,
The things in the sentence previously talked are football, windows and college.
I sense that football becomes the subject of the first sentence, and hence we choose football? is that what you are trying to imply?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 07:51 am
@DAGG3R,
If college was intended there would not need to be a sentence about windows and footballs. The football in the window is what makes this window different from other windows. If he liked windows it would be a plural, this is unlikely to be the only window he sees on the way to college, but quite likely only one has a football in it.
DAGG3R

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 08:37 am
@izzythepush,
"If he liked windows it would be a plural"
It should have been window and not windows in the above post. I apologise.

"If college was intended there would not need to be a sentence about windows and footballs."
About this, consider the statements as a part of a paragraph.

"The football in the window is what makes this window different from other windows."
Exactly, what if he liked that specific window. It is very unliking but my point is what hidden rules did we use to identify that we ARE talking about the football and not the college or window (with the football in it).
izzythepush

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 09:12 am
@DAGG3R,
It could refer to just the football or the feature of a window with a football in it.

If he'd just written, Dave was going to college. He saw it and he liked it.
then he'd be talking about college. He didn't just write that, he wrote a proceeding sentence about a window and a football, so that's what's referred to, either the football or the effect caused by the football.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2017 12:42 pm
Preceding direct object.
0 Replies

RandyS

Reply Sun 8 Oct, 2017 11:36 am
@DAGG3R,
There is no way to be certain what the antecedent of "it" is. This a good example of poor English. The antecedent of a pronoun should always be made explicit to eliminate ambiguity.

On his way to college, Dave saw the football I kept in my window and liked it.

There is no ambiguity here because the object of the verb "saw" and the object of the verb "liked" are the same thing. It is the equivalent of saying "Dave saw and liked the football I kept in my window," which would have been the best way to say it.
0 Replies