Online Film Rental Clubs

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:27 am
My husband is a film freak. We have over 1,000 VHS tapes, both bought or copied off the TV, and many, many DVDs. It was getting to the point where I did not know where to put them all.

We don't live in a place that is convenient to the major film rental chains. All the video stores around here are small ones, with a limited library. Also, I like the quality and indie films, that don't usually show up in our local theatres.

When we go to the nearest big town, we end up buying a bunch of previously viewed films from Blockbuster. They are usually 2 for $20, so a bunch can add up to a lot of money.

Anyhow, yesterday I signed up for Blockbuster online film rental. It costs $15- a month. I figure that way we can see more and better movies, it probably will cost us less, and I won't have to figure out where to put our ever increasing collection of DVDs.

I have a two week free trial. Have any of you out there joined this service, and what do you think of it? How does it compare to Netflix?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,071 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:41 am
The only thing I have compared is price so far. Netflix is well done, so much so that I suspect that Blockbuster online may be beat in every single criteria.

Anywho, in my price comparison, Blockbuster wins. Especially at higher volumes (I am on the 8 at a time with Netflix).

Thing is, Netflix has a free trial as well. You can always give it a try.

I'll give Blockbuster a shot soon.

PS, the library is reportedly about the same (both claimed 25,000 when I checked).
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:47 am
Quote:
I am on the 8 at a time with Netflix

Craven- I didn't even KNOW that Netflix had an 8 at a time deal. Thanks for the info!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 09:21 am
If 8 at a time is interesting for you then the total volume possible may be as well.

My Netflix shipping center is a day away from me and they ship on business days.

So this usually means a 4 day turnaround.

22/4*X=monthly movies

X = number of disks at a time in your plan.

I just signed up for the Blockbuster trial, to test it. Right off the bat I can tell you that my suspicions are correct and that their site is not nearly as good as Netflix's.

I'll let you know more after my test.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 09:28 am
I belong to both Netflix and GreenCine. Because Greencine tends to carry more indie, foreign and B-movies. I can find almost everything I'm looking for, but I still end up having to buy some things I want to see anyway
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 09:48 am
thiefoflight- Never heard of GreenCine. Looks interesting. thanks for the "heads up!"

Quote:
If 8 at a time is interesting for you then the total volume possible may be as well.

Craven-I want to go into this slowly. See how Blockbuster's 3 at a time works out. I'll let you know how it works out. Since we live at different ends of the country, it will be interesting to see if our experience with Blockbuster differs. I understand that they ship from different warehouses all over the country.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 09:51 am
I love netflix! NO MORE LATE FEES!!! Ah ha!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:01 am
Haven't tried it, but I understand WalMart has a video rental service. Low price is their selling point - go figure, huh? From what I've read it seems OK. Apparently, along with the standard fare, they have a particularly extensive library of TV shows.

I s'pose the pretty-close-to-on-demand thing appeals, as does access to obscurities or oldies missed, but with satellite TV and all the movie channels, plus the Pay-per-View channels, I generally find there's more I'd like to watch than I've got time to watch anyway Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:52 pm
I'm thinking of switching only if their turn-around is as good as NetFlix (my shipping station is only twenty miles from my house!) as well as the selection of documentaries, music videos (including classical), independent and foreign films. I might switch off for one month to try out Blockbuster -- WalMart's simply does not have the library of NetFlix.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 02:59 pm
Well, I just signed up last night, and I received an E Mail that my first three films have already been shipped. Since Christmas is on Saturday, I probably won't get them until Monday.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 03:04 pm
Shipping the same day should be a given -- the problem lies is from where? Especially with the mails slowed down. I did experence a one day delay on my last three films from NetFlix. I watched "Shrek 2" last night and am sending it back today. The shipping station location also effects when one sends the films back -- if the turn around is more than four days, it's costing more than what they're letting on.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 03:32 pm
Lightwizard- What I will do is drop the viewed films at the post office. That should save a day.

I am so excited. I keep looking over films, finding great ones, and adding them to my list.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 07:42 pm
Where I am located, it doesn't do any good to drop them by the post office as our carrier who picks up goes directly to the main Long Beach station and that's where all the mail dropped off at the three nearest post offices ends up. It's really convenient not to have to drive anywhere as that's one of the bugaboos of brick-and-mortar rental stores (although I have about six of them within five minutes of the house!) The proof of the pudding will be in how long the turnaround actually takes -- right now Christmas mail has slowed things down but it should go back to normal next week. My main reason for liking NetFlix is the extent of the libarary of films. I would never have likely seen films, for instance, Gautam recommended from Bollywood.
0 Replies