"Mom sues Wal-Mart over daughter's suicide"

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:45 pm
Did you guys miss Bowling for Columbine?

http://www.jsonline.com/graphics/owlive/img/nov02/bowling110102_big.jpg Where do you think the idea to blame the store came from? Idea
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:48 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:

:wink:
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:48 pm
I had a feeling that was the idiotic straw that you were stretching as far as you possibly could to grasp, Bill.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:52 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Where do you think the idea to blame the store came from? Idea

This isn't the 1st time someone has tried suing Walmart for something like this. There was a case in TX in 1992 (long before BFC was made) where a guy bought a gun from a Walmart and walked into a courtroom for a divorce hearing and shot and killed 2 people. The familys sued claiming the Walmart clerks should have been able to see that he was mentally unstable when they were asking him questions to fill out his purchase paperwork.

That case fell apart when the man's own shrink testified that he didn't detect anything wrong with the man himself until they had 7 or 8 50-minute long sessions over a period of a few weeks. If a professional doesn't see it how is a clerk supposed to?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:57 pm
That was the idiotic straw all right, Kicky. Not much of a stretch though. I gather you missed the part where he made a big deal out of BLAMING WALMART FOR A SHOOTING. If you missed the movie, just say so. Don't make a Moore of yourself. :wink:
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:00 pm
Interesting Fishin'! Moore tried blaming Walmart for selling bullets, let alone a gun. Laughing He sure does have some loyal fans though, if they can't make this connection. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:06 pm
There are some people who are so pissed off at Wal-Mart that they would blame them for ANYTHING. Next thing you know, if someone commits suicide by tying a Wal Mart plastic bag over their head, people will blame the store.

The clerk, and the store did nothing wrong, as long as he/she followed procedure.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:10 pm
True. I'd love to see Wal Mart lose some major law suits. But let it be for just cause, such as how they mistreat their employees and fire people who try to form unions.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:17 pm
Agreed, the clerk did nothing wrong, unless he/she did not check the papers or skipped some regulation.
It is the procedure and the laws that are wrong. Disturbingly so. If Wal-Mart was right to sell a gun to a girl like this (though I cringe at the thought of Wal-Mart selling guns. Can K-Mart and similar malls sell guns too? That's just wrong!) you have to ask how on Earth did she obtain a permit? It is just way too easy to get a gun in this country.
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:20 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
It is just way too easy to get a gun in this country.

Are you involved in the gun control movement? It sounds like it might provide you with a tangible way to act on your beliefs.

0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:25 pm
ain't a citizen. it's up to your representatives to deal with. but i can comment, right?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:28 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
That was the idiotic straw all right, Kicky. Not much of a stretch though. I gather you missed the part where he made a big deal out of BLAMING WALMART FOR A SHOOTING. If you missed the movie, just say so. Don't make a Moore of yourself. :wink:

it was K-Mart. Wake up from your Michael Moore bashing long enough to get the facts straight at least.
0 Replies

ForeverYoung

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:30 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
ain't a citizen. it's up to your representatives to deal with. but i can comment, right?

Oh, my. No disrespect was intended. Of course, you ... and anyone ... can comment.

My suggestion was just that. I've always found taking action helps when I feel strongly about an issue, but that's just me.

And, my goodness, one needn't be a citizen in order to deal with things in the US. I believe it's up to the people to follow our own consciences. Your mileage may vary.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:30 pm
WalMart--KMart...same thing. Moore advocates blaming the store.

It wasn't a stretch in the least.

And Micheal Moore is a big ass.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:43 pm
No, he advocates not having stores like K-Mart and Wal-Mart sell guns.

But I do see the connection you're making. It's kind of like when that lady spilled coffee on herself and sued McDonald's over it. I remember thinking "It's proof that Mr. Coffee is an ass!" Yes, now I see. Thanks for clearing that up.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:44 pm
ForeverYoung wrote:
I've always found taking action helps when I feel strongly about an issue, but that's just me.

And, my goodness, one needn't be a citizen in order to deal with things in the US. I believe it's up to the people to follow our own consciences. Your mileage may vary.

well yes, sure, taking action helps. i work in human rights field, in the U.S., so it's in my job description. but that is completely off the topic here. what is not off the topic is pointing out that the large issue here is state of the gun control legislation. if this or any similar case makes it up to the supreme court, that's what would be debated. that's where i wanted to steer the debate.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:45 pm
My good deed for the day...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:46 pm
You can buy a shotgun at a rummage sale any day of the week with no permit and no receipt, let alone a security check.

Kicky, Kicky, Kicky... when will you ever learn when to and when not to shoot your mouth off? Razz Below is the caption listed below the photo I posted with my comment. :wink:
Quote:
Michael Moore buys bullets from employee Amanda Duncan at a Canadian Wal-Mart in the documentary "Bowling for Columbine."

Source... (didn't I tell you not to make a Moore of yourself?)

Edit= I can't spell
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:51 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
You can buy a shotgun at a rummage sale any day of the week with no permit and no receipt, let alone a security check.

exactly. but you can't do that where i come from!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:55 pm
But, you can do it where you are now.
0 Replies