How many times have you died?

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:46 pm
Rember how you felt when you were eight years old? Rember the things you cared about, the things you feared, the things you wanted to do, the person you were then?

If you no longer feel and think the same as you did when you were eight, then that little kid is gone. Your parents remember the way you were, and you remember certain things, but that little kid is still gone. And so is the teen ager and the young adult which followed.

Is it only our memories and the slow transition of a physical vessel which differentiate the passing of our moments from death?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 707 • Replies: 7
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 08:10 pm
A little ship required so many repairs that after 10 years every single part had been replaced, and the man who replaced them saved all of the original pieces and put them back together, so there are now two ships. Which is the original?
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 10:31 pm
Yeah, I think you're right, Rosborne. Our memory constructs an image of a self that is sustained through time. So that self is an illusion, and I think that seeing through this illusion frees us from obsessing about life after death and allows us to fully appreciate nature and consciousness. Nature and consciousness are amazing and miraculous in themselves.
0 Replies

val

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:28 am
Re: How many times have you died?
Rosborn

I think you have already answered the question, when you say "how many times have YOU died". You assume an "you", as I assume an "I". That means we change with time but something remains. What? Our sense of identity.
0 Replies

needanswers

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:24 am
I believe that we have all lived several lives within the past, and that, as strange as it may seem, we have been our own distant ancestors at sometime or another. By the way, does anyone get the same deja vu that I get? About twice a month, I get a strong feeling that I have done something before, but the weird thing is that I live it out exactly as I recall it. Perhaps it's some sort of mental-illness Very Happy
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:08 am
This type of stuff was wallocked bone dry thousands of years ago.

spendius.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:29 am
Ooooppsss!!!!
0 Replies

doyouknowhim

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:44 pm
No ?
0 Replies