Netflix alternative...Blockbuster Online

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 11:56 am
Michael Stearns, the New Age ambient music composer, composed the music for "Baraka" as well as "Chronos," another film one should see or even own in the same vein.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 11:58 am
I'm with you on that, cjhsa. The second time Blockbuster charged me late fees on movies that I knew I'd returned on time, I said never again.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 12:02 pm
(I have several of his CD's)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 12:05 pm
There's quite a turnover of employees at our local Blockbuster. I think I've been convinced now to just stick with NetFlix. I'm getting 48 hour return response and have had a lot of fun exploring through their site for the best Bollywood and other foreign cinema plus the indendents films. Just rented some documentaries. I'm no impressed with their music video selection, especially in classical and opera.
0 Replies

indie rocks

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 03:03 pm
I've been using Blockbuster's online service for about a month. I have to say online rentals never really appealed to me, having a great inexpensive video store a mere block away. But I saw that they lowered their price and I decided to give them a try. Now I'm not sure what kind of speed Netflix has with delivering their movies, but I'm not entirely impressed by Blockbuster's. I live about an hour away from my shipping point, and sometimes it takes up to four days for me to receive a movie after it says it has shipped. I guess this is where they figure the free rentals come in handy. Personally, I don't really feel like stepping foot into a Blockbuster after having bonded with my very independent and welcoming local video store (that will put out new releases the weekend before they are released), but free is free. I will probably give Blockbuster Online another month or so, but I'm not overly ecstatic with them. It might be worth the few extra dollars for Netflix if the service is quicker.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 09:09 pm
NetFlix is almost always overnight shipping from the Santa Ana, CA. facility to my front door. I simply put them out for the postman to pick up when I finish watching them. It's the extent of their library that attracted me and the service is good enough to average out at $1.25 to $1.75 a movie.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 3 Feb, 2005 09:25 pm
I've been using Netflix since just before Christmas and haven't had any real problems with them. I returned 3 movies on Monday and yesterday I got 2 e-mails in teh morning saying that they were shipping my next selections for Thursday arrival. When I got home from work yesterday they were in my mailbox! (Apparently their e-mail system is slower than the shipping dept!) I can live with 2 day turn around any time.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2005 08:38 pm
I have been using Blockbuster since December 23, which is 49 days. In that time, I have received 25 films. So far, so good.

Now here comes the problem. Many of the movies are not in good shape when I receive them. I end up cleaning most of them. I have had to return four so far as unplayable. In two cases, it was a matter of the video images becoming pixillated.

Two of the DVD movies, had such bad damage that it caused a harsh, shrieking, sound to emit from the speakers. I thought that we might blow the darn things.

I wrote Blockbuster a very nasty letter about their quality control. They obviously do not check the condition of a DVD when it has been returned.
0 Replies

FunkyHoward123

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:20 pm
I joined with Netflix and there shipping is great it takes 1 business day to get there and 1 business day to get back to you (2 days ) and there is no limit i get about 30 movies a month. Block buster takes 3- 5 business days to ship either way.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:25 pm
That shipping time is crucial and it's only been movies with NetFlix that I've sent back on Friday or Saturday that sometimes aren't accounted for until Tuesday at which time a new movie is sent out. We still average about 12 to 14 movie a month and are just now having difficultly coming up with all the little gems one can't find on the local rental shelves, past Indies and foreign films especially. We've filled our queue up with a lot of documentaries.
0 Replies

Funkystu

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 04:36 pm
i have netflix because, blockbuster is EVIL EVIL I SAY! fine weather were having...
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 07:19 pm
I belong to both NetFlix and Green Cine. I like NetFlix because I live close to the Manchester location so I get them in one day but I like Green Cine much better because of their great selection of foreign and cult films. I don't tend to watch many mainstream films.
0 Replies

Funkystu

Reply Wed 6 Apr, 2005 08:05 pm
cult films are always great. not sure about foriegn films though. and there are some pretty ******* horrible mainstream films. but there are some good ones as well. dont just dispose of all of them.

also, BLOCKBUSTER IS EVIL EVIL EVIL!!!!

now lets get back to our dealy lives...
0 Replies