Useless knowledge game.

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:00 pm
Evergreen trees do not lose their leaves in winter.

What do you know about manatees?
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:10 pm
First oceans sailors believed they were sirens!

What do you know about Phobos albedo?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:28 pm
I know that the visual geometric albedo of Phobos is .06 and that I had to use a search engine to know anything at all about it.

What do you know about Dr. Richard Feynman?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:29 pm
When fully illuminated by the sun, Phobos' apparent brightness viewed from the Martian surface is roughly equivilant to that of Venus as seen from the surface of the Earth.

What do you know about Hero's Engine?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:36 pm
Dr. Richard Feynman was a physicist, and a Hero's Engine uses principles of physics to spin.

What do you know about William Allen White?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 01:43 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Dr. Richard Feynman was a physicist, and a Hero's Engine uses principles of physics to spin.

What do you know about William Allen White?

He was a newspaper editor. (I think there's more....)

What do you know about jello?
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:15 pm
That a whole lot of it is manufactured in the town next to mine.

What do you know about Count von Rumford?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 02:29 pm
George wrote:
That a whole lot of it is manufactured in the town next to mine.

What do you know about Count von Rumford?

His real name was Benjamin Thompson. Oh and he designed an improved fireplace. And I had to look this up.

http://www.rumford.com/images/rumford.jpg

And this is his picture!!

What do you know about BFOQ?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 05:51 pm
Well, among the Bona Fide Occupational Qualifications for obtaining a billet in the Bachelor Female Officers Quarters are that one be a female officer attending that duty station absent spouse or family.

Whadday know about Vladimir Zworykin and Philo T. Farnsworth?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 3 Jan, 2005 09:43 pm
They invented TV.

What do you know about Wayne Pierce, Art Hunt and Dave Richey?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Jan, 2005 08:16 am
Ticomaya wrote:
They invented TV.

What do you know about Wayne Pierce, Art Hunt and Dave Richey?

( found on about.com )
---In a low temperature laboratory in Canada, the effects of rime icing on the intake of a jet engine was being studied. Lead by a Dr. Ray Ringer, the researchers in an effort to reproduce natural conditions, were spraying water into the air just before the engine intake in a wind tunnel. They did not create any rime ice but they did make snow and they had to regularly shut down the engine and the wind tunnel to shovel out the snow. Uninterested in inventing a snowmaking machine, no patents were filed by the laboratory researchers. The research published in scientific journals, was made prior to any other claim to snowmaking technology.
Wayne Pierce was in the ski manufacturing business along with his two partners, Art Hunt and Dave Richey. The Tey Manufacturing Company of Milford, Connecticut was formed in 1947. They sold a new ski design - the ALU-60 was an aluminum ski with a hollow interior and three layers of metal bonded together. In 1949, the company was hit hard by a slump in ski sales, the result of dry snowless winter.

"I know how to make snow!" were the words spoken by inventor/engineer, Wayne Pierce, on March 14, 1950. Pierce came to work on that March morning, with an idea that if you could blow droplets of water through freezing air, the water would then turn into frozen hexagonal crystals, aka snowflakes. Using a paint spray compressor, nozzle and some garden hose, Pierce and his partners created a machine that created snow. The company was granted a basic-process patent and installed a few of their snowmaking machines, but they did not take their snowmaking business too far. In 1956, the three partners sold their company and patent rights to the Emhart Corporation.

US Patent 2676471 issued April 1954

( cool question! ;-) )

What do you know about Julie Taymor ?
0 Replies

werewolf

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2005 10:58 pm
What i know about Julie Taylor is that she is a human being. (hey, that's all i know about her and it's useless knowledge, right?)

What do you know about the Christmas Islands?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 14 Jan, 2005 08:17 am
>christmas islands<

Time Difference
One hour behind Western Standard Time (WST) and three hours behind Eastern Standard Time (EST) i.e. 9.00 a.m. EST = 6.00 a.m. on the Island. Add one hour for daylight saving e.g. 9.00 a.m. EDT = 5.00 a.m. on Christmas Island.

History
Christmas Island was named on Christmas Day 1643 by Captain William Mynors, the Master of a passing ship. The first landing was recorded by William Dampier in 1688. For the next two centuries, little interest was shown in the Island due to its rugged coastline.

Following the discovery of phosphate deposits, the Island was annexed by Britain in 1888.

Christmas Island was occupied by Japanese forces from March 1942 until the end of the Second World War, and in 1946 became a dependency of Singapore.

By agreement with the United Kingdom, sovereignty was transferred to the Commonwealth of Australia on 1 October 1958 under the Christmas Island Act 1958.

The extensive phosphate deposits on Christmas Island have been mined for many years. The Phosphate Mining Corporation of Christmas Island ceased business in late 1987. The mine was reopened in 1990 by a local consortium and is now operated by Phosphate Resources Ltd (trading as Christmas Island Phosphates).

What do you know about the abyssal zone?
Daisy Ryder

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2014 09:04 am
@shewolfnm,
That abyss is derived from Greek, meaning bottomless.
Said zone probably has something to do with the ocean.
I do know, we know more about outer space than the bottom of the ocean.

What do you know about turtles?
0 Replies