Hero

Pitter

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 09:40 pm
I just saw Jet-Li in Hero. It was in Chinese subtitled in Spanish which I don't read that fast but with all those "visuals" who cares. I got the jist.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,803 • Replies: 40
No top replies

J-B

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 05:26 am
jist? you mean gist?

this topic has been discussed for more than once here already Smile

But as you say you have already understood the gist through "those visuals"

One quetion: Would you be able to get the gist without "those visuals"?
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 06:27 am
My phonetic spelling...well I suppose in answer to your "quetion" (is that the phonetic spelling where you come from?) I'd have gotten something of the idea even if there were no subtitles at all. Have you seen it?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 05:09 am
pitter
I watched the movie about 2 years ago in the cinema. Actually my eyes were much statisfied when i went back home that night Very Happy

But just satisfied, no more.

I am quite poor at English comprehension. what did you mean by "is that the phonetic spelling where you come from?" Confused

JB
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 07:23 am
I had no idea the film was that old. That's the second time I've seen a film here thinking it was current only to find out the rest of the world saw it ages ago. Anyway I agree the best part of Hero is the visual effects not the acting or story line.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:12 am
I liked the cinematography, the visual effects and the story line.
Great movie, IMO.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 11:16 am
Pitter, it was only released wide in the states last summer, so you're not so far behind. JB is in China, so he got to see it before the rest of us.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 12:50 pm
The storyline may have been simple but that was an attribute considering if one examines the relationships of the characters, especially in a second viewing, there is a complexity that's not apparant at first. Rich chroma, color combinations inherant in Chinese art, with some seemless CGI make this one of the most fullfilling entertainments I've seen in years. Could American filmmakers and the especially the production designers get away from the lens color filters which too often make the image muddy and unattractive learn something here?
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:37 am
Quote:
Could American filmmakers and the especially the production designers get away from the lens color filters which too often make the image muddy and unattractive learn something here?

:wink:
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 06:55 am
Light wizard what is "CGI"?

The visual richness and inventiveness and using the movie screen like a canvas reminded me of Felini.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 09:33 am
CGI = Computer Generate Images

As in the dinosaurs in "Jurassic Park."

In "Hero," the CGI is used in the impossible looking movements in the martial arts and other battle sequences.
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 01:54 pm
I don't like this kind of movies. I saw a lot of Chinese drama with people flying around in my childhood and now I'm sick of it. The film has also been criticized for its "propaganda". Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 05:20 pm
Haven't read anything about "propaganda" and find no current political analogies. A link, perhaps?
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Wed 22 Dec, 2004 07:16 pm
I read people complaining about its message and here's a link:

http://www.cinemablend.com/review.php?id=761

Last paragraph.

I'm not sure if that's the actual message of the movie since I haven't seen the movie... But I think that they should note the time the movie was taking place in, where basically warring states are trying to conquer one another..... It does seem disturbing though watching a movie where tyranny is praised.

Anyways do you know that the character is actually based on a real person? In reality though, the assasin tried to kill the Qin king and nearly succeded but failed.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 04:55 am
Ray wrote:
I don't like this kind of movies. I saw a lot of Chinese drama with people flying around in my childhood and now I'm sick of it. The film has also been criticized for its "propaganda". Rolling Eyes

Very Happy i am sick too
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 05:04 am
Ray wrote:

Anyways do you know that the character is actually based on a real person? In reality though, the assasin tried to kill the Qin king and nearly succeded but failed.

He was the most famous assassinator of Chinese history.

called Jing ke

we also have a movie about his storythe emperor and the assassin
more information
more

I believe this movie is better than hero for even though its visuals are a little less spectacular(they are a waste of films)
It successfully presented a true Qing Shi Emperor to me.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 08:27 am
As the story is told in Crouching Tiger -& Hero, I like them very much. They really such you in, love stories both.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:21 am
"The Emperor and the Assassin" is a good film as a conventional historical epic completely different from "Hero." It's not a Chinese film altogether, also being financed in production by French and Japanese entities. "Hero" is aesthetically superior in covering the same material as Chinese paintings in motion. It would be a good double bill. Chen seems to propagandize that the unification of China was good even if under a dictatorial ruler. I suppose one can relinquish their own conspiracy theories out of just about any film. After all, it's done on the internet ad nauseum. If one doesn't appreciate the artistic achievement of "Hero," I'm not interested in trying to convince them.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 10:22 am
BTW, while some reviewers compare "The Emperor and the Assassin" to Kurosawa's "Ran," the comparison is feeble at best.
0 Replies

Bram

Reply Thu 23 Dec, 2004 05:45 pm
I have not seen Hero yet, and I can't wait to get hold of it in DVD (it was out recently). If I remember well, it went out in Europe last year or beginning this year. Now, why do they wait that long to come in North America, beats me.

I saw "The Emperor and the Assassin". I am not sure if it presented a more realistic Qin emperor, but I did not visualize him like that at all. The movie seems to show that the woman he loved had too much influence on him. Emperors at that time must have tons of concubines and a woman, at that time, was pretty much kept in the background.
0 Replies