Easy citizenship in Europe

Duke of Lancaster

Reply Wed 16 Mar, 2005 12:02 pm
I always wanted to get my English citizenship. But I never do it. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to that. I was told I have to go down to NYC, which I don't like doing, and get my paperwork done.
0 Replies

fjviviers

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 01:34 pm
Re: I guess this is what I don't get...
asammart wrote:
(I may not know anything about Italian citizenship, but I'm actually a German history professor and have written about German citizenship regulations.)

My grandfather was born in Germany and later moved to South Africa along with the rest of his family. I think he was 17 at the time and he travelled on a family passport or something similar.

He never had a South African passport - only a Identity document - as he never travelled outside South Africa.

Do I have any claim to German citizenship? I have tried to contact the local German embassy, but they are not very helpful. Any assistance would be much appreciated!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 01:39 pm
Most probaly - try to get the information from one of the consulates mentioned <HERE> .

.... and welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 22 Apr, 2005 10:40 pm
Hey kicky, I dunno if this issue was fully resolved in the last 5 pages, but I had to share. I had dinner with an Argentinian couple who were moving to Spain, via Italy where the wife was going to reclaim her citizenship. They said that they'd spoken with the Italian embassy here in Boston and elsewhere (apparently, Boston's Italian Embassy wasn't very helpful) and were told that so long as you could prove your ancestery back to Italy within the generations back to your great grandfather, that you could claim Italian citizenship.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:07 am
Thanks, littlek. I guess that since I completely forgot about this thread, and just assumed that it couldn't be done, it really never did get resolved.

Damn it, I have GOT to check into this. There's an italian consulate within about five blocks from my apartment too. I'm so lazy. Thanks for the info.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:09 am
I wouldn't have believed them at all except they were actually doing it. I still can't really believe it.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:13 am
Yeah, it just doesn't seem possible that it's that simple. It would be cool if it were though.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:15 am
I think they said you had to have the name or your ancestor, their place of birth and their birth date.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:20 am
Well, I don't think I'll be moving to Italy anytime soon, but who knows? It is interesting...my friend is actually from Argentina too, the one who told me about this originally, and he made it seem easy too.

I am writing "Check into citizenship" on a big yellow piece of paper so I don't forget about this!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:22 am
Good idea.... then, when you do, let me know.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 09:47 am
Yep, will do.
0 Replies

pmgoosed

Reply Sun 8 May, 2005 09:38 pm
I am late to all this, but I would love some clarification. I just came back from Europe and found out about the possibility of dual citizenship. After reading info on the web I was a bit heartbroken. Then I found this site and it confused me, happily.

The Italian Embassy sucks in boston and they were of no real help to me (though I am heading back to speak to a new consulate officer tomm morning.).

My question is this: My grandfather came over in 1920 and was naturalized in 1928. My father was not born until 1946, thus my grandpa was a US citizen at the time of my father's birth. If i read a few of these posts correctly, it seems as though I can get the citizenship. Am I off here? The stuff I read earlier indicated to me that I could not get the citizenship, however this thread makes me believe I can.

Any info for me?
0 Replies

xander

Reply Wed 25 May, 2005 08:18 am
posted this in a seperate post when I should have doen it in here (sorry)

Ok so here is the situation, I want to become and Italian citizen.

My parents were born in Italy in 1925 and 1930 they immigrated to canada in 1951, after they got married. My father became naturalized in 1956, my mother in the other hand went back to italy for a few years and did not get her canadian until 1963. Both my sisters were born before 1963 and can apply for dual citizenship. Because I was born after 1963 I was told I cannot apply.

I tried to find loopholes like maybe the fact that my father was still married to an italian for 7 years before she became naturalized may have reactived his italian citizenship. the embassy was not helpful. They kept saying no to everything and really didn't want to even discuss options with me on the phone.

I want to move to Italy for a very important reason. The problem is the reason itself isn't a recognized one in regards to eleibility for citizenship.

Can anyone offer advice pls?

I was born in 1973 and am 32 years old. I'd be willing to join the Italian military (if it is not to late for me) if need be. I'm desperate and would very much like to move and live in Italy. I just need to know hwo I can do it.

I have looked through the web and it seems it's all pretty confusign and liek the previous poster the embassy her ein Canada was of no help at all to me.

Thx for any help
0 Replies

AMZAD

Reply Tue 10 Jul, 2007 08:08 am
european citizenship
i am also interested in getting european citizenship. i have no ties to europe via ancestry. im an american citizen. if anyone wants to chat with me about it, you can add me on msn, nicksinif,hotmail,com
thanks
0 Replies

0629frenchgirl

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 02:07 pm
dual citizenship in EU countries
I, too, would like to know how I could go about applying for dual citizenship in the United States & France. I am an American citizen but I'm interested in becoming a citizen of France as well. I was wondering if France had the same laws on the book as Italy & Ireland (if you have a relative who was born in one of those countries, then you can become a citizen of either of those countries). I was also wondering if the relative who was born in one of those countries has to be living because my grandmother was born in Sarthe, France but she passed away 40 years ago. I hope someone out there can answer my question.

Thank you.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 02:33 pm
No, frenchgirl, you cannot apply for the French nationality just because your grandmother was French.

But you can apply under some other circumstances:

- Marry a French, you can apply after one year marriage.

or

- Live in France for five years.
0 Replies

torinese

Reply Sun 28 Oct, 2007 03:56 pm
Searching for Italian birth certificates
Hello,
I want to inform that I am living in Turin city, Italy, and I can search for birth certificates, death certificates or marriage certificates.
If you could provide me the full name, birth date and city of birth of the person, I can get those certificates by contacting directly to the Ufficio Anagrafe of the corresponding Italian Comune.

Torinese

Turin - Piemont
Italy
0 Replies

0629frenchgirl

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 10:45 pm
Grandfather's information
Hello!

My grandfather's name was Luigi (I knew him as Louis, although I never met him) Cicchi (he changed it to Chick when he came to the US) & he was born on April 7, 1893 in the province of Marche (I believe his home was actually in a place called Mozzano; his home is now the Villa Cicchi (I guess it's a bed & breakfast). The closest city is Ascoli Piceno. Thanks.

P.S. I was also wondering if you could locate any information for me on a Fr. Ippolito Brandozzi (his given name, I think, was Giuseppe but he changed it to Ippolito when he entered the priesthood). He's my mother's 1st cousin but I don't know much else about him.

Thanks for your help.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 10:50 pm
Geez, Kicky's mother is a year, more or less, younger than I am.

And, I suppose, a lot of others' mothers.

Weird re a2k, we can often talk across age..
0 Replies

torinese

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 06:50 am
Re: Grandfather's information
Hello FrenchGirl,
I have usefull data related to Luigi Cicchi, I know how to locate the birth certificate. Could you write me an e-mail? My address is [email protected]

Bye,

Torinese

0629frenchgirl wrote:
Hello!

My grandfather's name was Luigi (I knew him as Louis, although I never met him) Cicchi (he changed it to Chick when he came to the US) & he was born on April 7, 1893 in the province of Marche (I believe his home was actually in a place called Mozzano; his home is now the Villa Cicchi (I guess it's a bed & breakfast). The closest city is Ascoli Piceno. Thanks.

P.S. I was also wondering if you could locate any information for me on a Fr. Ippolito Brandozzi (his given name, I think, was Giuseppe but he changed it to Ippolito when he entered the priesthood). He's my mother's 1st cousin but I don't know much else about him.

Thanks for your help.
0 Replies