You say they're friends but you've never met?

fbaezer

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 01:01 pm
You shouldn't complain about having no middle name. I have two.
I was named after my grandfather, who was dying of cancer when I was born. So the first name I was supposed to have, became my first middle name. It's been a paperwork nightmare. My whole name doesn't fit on forms. My first social security card had only one middle name, and my wife was not included -she was married to the man with two middle names-; my driver's license has my first name shortened, followed by two initials, etcetera.
None of my children have middle names, and they like it.
The only time my long name was useful was when a restaurant gave a 1% discount for every letter in your full name. I got 26%.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 01:04 pm
That's funny. I know some people with more than one middle name but most of them start with Maria...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 01:06 pm
my first name means honey bee.
My middle name is a common name given to cherokee women who were of high social standing.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 03:12 pm
if there's such a thing as reincarnation I always wanted to come back as a drone bee....
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 03:15 pm
Re: You say they're friends but you've never met?
Joe Nation wrote:
I started doing my Christmas cards last night. It occurred to me that the number of people I consider friends whom I know in person is becoming less than the number of people I consider friends whom I only know through the internet. This has got to stop, though for the life of me I cannot say why it disturbs me, but all of you must come to New York City within the next year, sit down with me on a park bench or in a bar booth and tell me who you really are, or it's that not possible (or you might not know) just tell me one good story about your life that I don't already know.

For example: Who were you named after and has that influenced you in any way?

Joe (try naming children some names and see how you do. R. Frost) Nation

Well, I don't really think that I am your internet friend, but here goes:

My name is Mariko, after the character in Shogun. It is a Japanese name and can translate as "child who always tells the truth." As such, my parents wanted me to have both the qualities of the showgun character and the name, and I have been raised as a very honest person. I have difficulty telling even the smallest lies, and one of the goals of my life is a personal quest for truth and self-improvement.

SheWolf, I'm 1/16 Cherokee. I got a little bit of the looks, but not much else.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 04:32 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
if there's such a thing as reincarnation I always wanted to come back as a drone bee....

Apparently, you got your wish, bear.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 04:36 pm
Re: You say they're friends but you've never met?
Portal Star wrote:
Joe Nation wrote:
I started doing my Christmas cards last night. It occurred to me that the number of people I consider friends whom I know in person is becoming less than the number of people I consider friends whom I only know through the internet. This has got to stop, though for the life of me I cannot say why it disturbs me, but all of you must come to New York City within the next year, sit down with me on a park bench or in a bar booth and tell me who you really are, or it's that not possible (or you might not know) just tell me one good story about your life that I don't already know.

For example: Who were you named after and has that influenced you in any way?

Joe (try naming children some names and see how you do. R. Frost) Nation

Well, I don't really think that I am your internet friend, but here goes:

My name is Mariko, after the character in Shogun. It is a Japanese name and can translate as "child who always tells the truth." As such, my parents wanted me to have both the qualities of the showgun character and the name, and I have been raised as a very honest person. I have difficulty telling even the smallest lies, and one of the goals of my life is a personal quest for truth and self-improvement.

SheWolf, I'm 1/16 Cherokee. I got a little bit of the looks, but not much else.

Perhaps my favorite novel!

Great name!
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 04:39 pm
I was named after my two grandfathers.

A funny story came in high school, a girl who knew me called me Joe. One day I told her my two last names (García González) and they are very popular here in Mexico. So then she tells me: "at least you don't have a name like José"...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:08 pm
This is what I get for leaving a thread run wild for a day...

Okay, I'm keeping good notes.
Australia is coming to NYC some time in 2005. We shall get him drunk or find him a wife, one or the other, his choice.

Phoenix32890 arrives in sweaty July, just in time to be taken to the boat, eh, Frank??
And the Prince will return, the bearer of light, and the will be some light shone upon the city that never sleeps.

Noddy24: please come. por favor. please.

{I told my wife that I had invited everyone from A2K to come visit New York City and she said that means I owe anyone who shows up dinner and a drink. Sounds good to me, there's only ten thousand of you and half of you won't show up.)

Gus: jesus, Vermont. Okay, I'm coming there but only if I can hitchhike up and back.

FreeDuck: I am fascinated by the 'no middle name' idea. I had no idea that that was another burden that women have and share and now I want to know much much more.

ehbeth: my only note was 'who was terry doo's'...so how was Terry Doo's??? and when are you arriving at Kennedy Airport??

Dagmarka: Dagmarka may mean Morning Star but Mata Hari means "eye of the day" Mata_ eye hari _day in Indonesian. The eye of the day is the Sun. So MataHari means the sun. I am one of the few USAF interperters of Indonesian to actually remember anything I was taught in language school. Come to New York. We shall eat some Indo food and argue about the meaning of Dagmar, who was a heroine of mine from the age of six.

Willow-Tl: we are not as scary as you think. Okay, Frank IS as scary as you think but I will keep him busy by sending him up to the bar every few minutes while you and I (Hey Lola and Blatham may make an appearance too) catch up. be not afraid.

Sozobe: ANOTHER no middle name, what the hey? and now you use your "old last name." The same as several of my wives-- and the current one, the one I shall be with forever, shares the same thing. Odd. I never knew this, or if I did I didn't pay it any attention. My wife uses her maiden name as her middle name but that is to give some further life to her father's family name which is rare and disappearing from the face of the earth.

Bi-polar Bear: your mom named you after a name she liked, that's a pretty good start for a baby and it means Crown what could be better than that...... hey wouldn't Crown make a great metal band name???
Growl,,

Cinnesthiesia: I wanted to look up Synesthesia but first I wanted to know when you are coming to the city, ok? that first first and then we do the serious stuff analysis and all.

I'm getting sleepy.

Calamity Jane: I'm starting a contest.

Okay. What four letter first name is unpronounecable. ???

Shewolfnm: one : I thought you were in New Mexico. Two: I'll have to go the Austin by way of being dragged by wild horses, no visits to Texas unless it's to see my littlest kiddo in Dallas.

littleK: Yeah, Christina Khristina kristininita...... O, and I LOVE that you have your grandmother's nickname embedded there in your name.. you are so lucky.

Roger and JpinMilwaukee : I have you done for coming to NYC but when?

Sarah: We would love to meet your daughter Ruth..... is her middle name Lucretia too>>>?? Laughing

Seed: oh oh, I have to go back and see what you wrote....something about blank blank and that led to to Fbaezer's two middle names which I have always been jealous of .... all those people with four or six or eight names ... to be ....to chose from.....to become.

If I can find it I want to share Maple ...it's about naming names.

Joe (jonathan jo nathan joe nation Martin {for Grandad}) Nation
0 Replies

australia

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:11 pm
Joe, you got 5 pages out of this topic. Well done! I got 7 pages out of the country that produces the most beautiful women. I am not sure what is happening. We both usually get zero responses to new topics. Must be christmas!!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:14 pm
Maple
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:18 pm
There's a lovely young woman at work named Hedwiga. My colleague insists on referring to her as Edwina. <sigh>
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:25 pm
Well, in a way it's nice to have an unusual name.
People always remember you, and it's nice to be recognized
immediately (on the phone for instance).
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:39 pm
My first and middle names, Charles Mitchell, derive from my grandfathers. The names combined mean strong man like god.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:26 pm
I have met Joe Nation up close and personal, He has more middle names than you can shake a stick at.
0 Replies

Seed

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 10:29 pm
when i shake a stick i can shake it at quite a few things
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 11:02 pm
Joe, I wish we could have spent more time with you and the others in NYC. Every meeting I've had with a2kers has been thoroughly enjoyable. Maybe because we tend to write honestly, that comes through when we meet in person and provides a comfort level that would never be there in other first meetings.

I, too, have no middle name. Considering those on this thread who also have no middle name, I feel in good company. Using your maiden name as a middle name once you get married (if you take on your husband's name) will make it easier for your descendants to find you and to be able to attribute to you any writing or anything else you may do for which you would like to be remembered.

There is an old saying: "Anonymous was a woman."
Too true. Women disappear when they marry. History, geneology, any kind of research on women from history is next to impossible unless they continued to be identified by their maiden names after marriage--perhaps because of a famous family. This is a long-winded way of encouraging women to use their maiden names as middle names--if you want to be credited in history books for all your extraordinary deeds.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 11:03 pm
BTW, I love that Robert Frost poem.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 11:15 pm
I love that poem too.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 02:41 am
I also have no middle name.

We were too poor.

When I went into service...I discovered that the military apparently insists that a middle name (or initial, actually) be used...and damn near everything official in my paperwork has me listed as Frank NMI Apisa.

NMI, as I am sure you realize, is military talk for No Middle Initial.

At the time, I got a kick out of this convention...and often referred to myself as Frank NMI Apisa.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/24/2024 at 07:51:50