You say they're friends but you've never met?

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 05:35 am
I started doing my Christmas cards last night. It occurred to me that the number of people I consider friends whom I know in person is becoming less than the number of people I consider friends whom I only know through the internet. This has got to stop, though for the life of me I cannot say why it disturbs me, but all of you must come to New York City within the next year, sit down with me on a park bench or in a bar booth and tell me who you really are, or it's that not possible (or you might not know) just tell me one good story about your life that I don't already know.

For example: Who were you named after and has that influenced you in any way?

Joe (try naming children some names and see how you do. R. Frost) Nation
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 15,203 • Replies: 479
No top replies

australia

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 06:01 am
Your on Joe. 2005 I will come to New York and catch up.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 06:04 am
Joe- I am in Manhattan, once a year, usually in July. I will make it my business to connect with you, and some other A2Kers who live in the area!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 07:16 am
Hmmmmmmmmmmm
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 07:26 am
I'm hoping for another NYC escape in January--but fact and fiction are easily confused.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 07:56 am
Joe, I'll probably be in Woodstock, Vermont this September. That's pretty close. Maybe if we yell real loud we'll hear each other.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 07:58 am
Hi Joe. Here's a story. My parents did not give me a middle name. Their reasoning was that I would grow up and get married and take my husband's name and so my last name would become my middle name.

Well, I didn't marry as early as they thought, and when I did marry, I didn't take his name. So I am still Blank Blank, same as always. When I went to see my dad's family not so long ago my grandmother asked me what my last name was. I told her Blank, which is her last name, and she just laughed and laughed. I should mention that I come from a pretty conservative family but that my grandmother was a very progressive person in the way that she lived. And in the way that she died. On her death bed she asked her oldest son to just hit her in the head with a piece of stove wood and get it over with.

So, now you know me.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:01 am
What's the story behind the FreeDuck name? I'll have to say that's one of the coolest names on this site.

Is it French?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:02 am
That's sweet gus. But if I tell you the story, won't it ruin the mystery?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:09 am
Joe Nation - the most wonderful thing about internet friends is that when you meet them - you realize they really are friends. It's been the thing that keeps me going to get-togethers.

eh (marvelling at Joe Nation adopting TerryDoo's naming system) Beth

You can call me "ehBeth mrs. hamburger hamburger"

:wink:
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:12 am
I shall stumble throught the rest of my life wondering about the origin of the Freeduck name.

Such is my fate.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:15 am
Hi Joe,
I'll be in town Jan. 5-8, that is just around the corner. And my name means 'Morning Star', from ancient Greek. Mata Hari means the same, in some other language. The story goes that I was supposed to be Hannelore or Laura, but my dead saw me as soon as I was born and said:"That's not Hannelore, look at her, that's Dagmar!"
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:17 am
Nice story, dag.

You think he'll buy it?
0 Replies

willow tl

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:26 am
Isn't it a scary proposition to meet internet friends...i mean is Gus as funny in real life as he is on line...will letty, ehBeth eva's beauty of spirit really come through...will kicky be all over the women and slappy propositioning them? Will Joe stutter in real life...will we find that cav is really a busboy in some nice restaurant sending us pictures of epicurian delight via digital photography...I wish i could get over my agoraphobia to find out...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:30 am
I guess I better brush up my "going unconscious" act.

Looks like more free dinners in the making!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:32 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Hi Joe. Here's a story. My parents did not give me a middle name. Their reasoning was that I would grow up and get married and take my husband's name and so my last name would become my middle name.

Shocked

Me too! I've never heard of this happening to anyone else before!

My parents didn't go the "take your husband's name" route, they wanted me to be able to choose my own middle name. I never did, until I got married... guess what my middle name is now? (My old last name.)

In case you don't believe me:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=309771#309771
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:49 am
Holy cow! Well, at least your parents' motives were a little more, how to say, respectful of your individuality?

Only one of my sisters has a middle name. We've never been given a really good explanation for that. My husband also has no middle name (I think that's a cultural thing) so we didn't give either of our kids middle names either -- for consistency.

That is too much of a coincidence though.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 08:58 am
Here is an absolutely fascinating anecdote about my name Joe....I once asked my mother how she chose the name Stephen for me and she replied "Because I like it".

Elvis Presley and my mother influenced my life more than anyone. I never had a chance to be anything but a rocker. Ever.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:15 am
I was named after Synesthesia, goddess of concomitant senses, dooming me to a life of heightened awareness.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 09:18 am
(Cool, FreeDuck!)

To answer Joe's question:

I wasn't named after anyone, my parents "made up" the name (though they weren't the first to make it up, nor the last to give a child that name -- many, many younger women/ girls with my name these days.) Perhaps it's influenced me in terms of I've always thought individuality was a good thing, something to aspire to.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » You say they're friends but you've never met?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 04:31:11