Twist on a familiar problem

markr

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 12:01 am
We're all familiar with this problem:
Smith takes the train daily from his work in the city back to the suburb where he lives and is met at the station by his wife, who drives him home. One day Smith finishes his work earlier than usual and arrives in his suburb on hour earlier than usual. He then walks home from the station, and meets his wife on the way. The wife stops and takes Smith home; this brings Smith home 10 minutes earlier than usual. How long did Smith walk? The time for stopping and picking up is to be disregarded, and it is also assumed that the wife arrives at the station as the same moment as the train.

Here's the twist:
The road rises from the station to the house, so that the car travels more slowly from the station to the house than from the house to the station. We assume that the road rises equally sharply everywhere, so that the car travels equally fast everywhere from the house to the station, and similarly on its way back, but then at a lower speed.

Once again, Smith arrives in his suburb one hour earlier than usual, walks home from the station, and meets his wife. The latter, however, does not notice Smith, and drives on. "What a pity," Smith says to himself. "If my wife had seen me, I would have been home 18 minutes earlier than usual. I'll keep on walking; my wife will catch up with me in 21 minutes, and I'll be home at the usual time." How long had Smith been walking when his wife drove past him on her way to the station? The time the wife needs to ascertain that Smith is not on the train is to be disregarded; so it is assumed that after her arrival at the station his wife immediately returns to join Smith.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,004 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Tryagain

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 02:41 pm
How long had Smith been walking when his wife drove past him on her way to the station?

Allowing for wind drift: 24 minutes. Send BIG prize c/o a2k. Thank you. Laughing
0 Replies

markr

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 07:25 pm
Tryagain wrote:
Allowing for wind drift: 24 minutes. Send BIG prize c/o a2k. Thank you. Laughing

For being the first (and only) person to respond, you get a Very Happy

However, since the wind was blowing from the opposite direction, your calculation is a bit off. Sad

Thanks for trying.
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sat 18 Dec, 2004 08:45 am
0 Replies

usamashaker

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 03:21 pm
what i reached till now
the speed of the car is 7 times the speed of the man
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 03:23 pm
Sometimes. The car travels at two speeds.
0 Replies

usamashaker

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 03:37 pm
from the station to the home
0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 03:59 pm
Second try (but not last) I make the car twice as fast as the man. Therefore, she was driving for nine minutes. Confused
0 Replies

markr

Reply Sun 19 Dec, 2004 05:49 pm
Tryagain wrote:
Second try (but not last) I make the car twice as fast as the man. Therefore, she was driving for nine minutes. Confused
Question Question Hmmm. The question is how long was Smith walking.
0 Replies

usamashaker

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 03:27 am
49 minutes

but the road must raise from the house to the station
0 Replies

markr

Reply Mon 20 Dec, 2004 11:36 am
usamashaker wrote:
49 minutes

but the road must raise from the house to the station

Very Happy Very Happy We have a winner Very Happy Very Happy