New Windows worm comes as Xmas card

msolga

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 06:36 am
New Windows worm comes as Xmas card
Helsinki
December 15, 2004 - 9:32AM/the AGE

An anti-virus firm has advised computer users to beware of a new Windows email worm which has been particularly successful in infecting computers as it is disguised as a multilingual electronic Christmas card.

"We think this worm will be big, because of its timing and the fact that it comes in 15 different European languages," Mikko Hyppoenen, head of anti-virus research at Finnish firm F-Secure, said.

The virus, dubbed Zafi.D, infects computers by email and distributes itself by using e-mail lists on contaminated personal computers.

Its Christmas greeting is in the language of the recipient, decided by the country code - like ".fi" or ".fr" - at the end of the email address, making it more likely that the recipient will think it is a genuine greeting.

It also opens a back door on infected PCs, making it possible for outsiders to use them to distribute unsolicited bulk email advertisements, or spam, and launch malicious attacks to close down web sites, he added.

The earlier variants of the Zafi internet worm family were highly dangerous viruses, with the B variant still among the top 10 most virulent bugs several months after it was launched, he said.

While this is the first Zafi worm disguised as a Christmas card, the phenomenon is not new, Hyppoenen said.

"We have seen these hoaxes for several Christmases already, and personally I prefer traditional pen and paper cards, and we recommend this to all our clients too."

AFP

http://theage.com.au/articles/2004/12/15/1102787114781.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 932 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 06:55 am
Thanks for the "heads up". When I saw it, I sent the message to a lot of people.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 01:10 pm
UPDATE?

Instead of the web address of the greeting card virus, I linked to a thread of dlowan's, thus slandering and maligning Vets afflicted with PTSD.

I have enormous talent--unfortunately much of my talent goes to creating chaos.

Please pass the boiled crow.

Link on virus update: http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5493768.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 02:32 pm
That goes to my PTSD thread, Noddy! I don't think we can blame Iraq for a Christmas card worm!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 16 Dec, 2004 02:38 pm
just wonderful
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 17 Dec, 2004 06:27 am
Christmas worm numbers fall sharply
By Online Staff
December 17, 2004 - 11:28AM/the AGE

The email worm Zafi.D has more or less fallen off the radar with a dramatic drop in numbers overnight, a senior virus researcher says.

Jakub Kaminski, a senior virus researcher with Computer Associates in Melbourne, said this could in part be attributed to the fact that a number of ISP were now using scanners to prevent malware spreading.

"Additionally, there has been media exposure about this particular worm and that has made people aware enough to update their anti-virus definitions," he said.

Looking at the number over the last 24 hours, Kaminski said the worm had dropped to the 10th most frequent and older worms like Netsky and MyDoom were now back among the leaders.

The worm poses as a Christmas card and affects systems running Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, or Windows XP.

`
0 Replies