Aussie to head IAEA?

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:43 pm
Quote:
No desire to see Downer leave: PMDecember 14, 2004

PRIME Minister John Howard had no desire to see Alexander Downer leave his post, after speculation the Foreign Minister had been approached to head the United Nations nuclear watchdog, Mr Howard said today.

Mr Downer has remained tight-lipped about reports in the US yesterday that US officials had asked him several months ago to consider replacing International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) chief Mohamed ElBaradei.

On ABC radio this morning, Mr Howard said it was both flattering and understandable that Mr Downer had been mentioned in relation to the job, but he did not think it likely he would take up the role.

"It is understandable that people should think of him as able and qualified to do a position such as this, but I have no desire to see Alexander Downer leave his present position - none whatsoever," Mr Howard said.

source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 629 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 11:46 pm
Either Bush/Cheney/Rove/et al have a VERY HIGH opinion of our boy Alex or a VERY LOW opinion of the IAEA.

Or some-one left the keys in the asylum door and the lunatics have taken over.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 03:15 am
Well, seeing as how Alex did SUCH an awful job as Opposition Leader, I would argue this one: " a VERY LOW opinion of the IAEA."

AND they think our boy would be a puppet.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 05:05 pm
If I was John Howard I'D want to keep an eye on little Alex too. Reckon he (Alex) might still be nuturing some ideas about regaining his lost glory as PM - John's gotta go sometime!
0 Replies

australia

Reply Tue 21 Dec, 2004 12:03 am
stillwater
0 Replies