Democracy is best served by strict separation of...

amala2

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 06:55 pm
I got something that is 4 the negative side. - actually, a few.
0 Replies

amala2

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 06:58 pm
I'm new here. I'm also on the debate team at my school. I believe I can be of help
0 Replies

amala2

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 07:00 pm
ok. i guess not. well L8r
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:14 pm
peachstate kid wrote:
Okay, thanks for cleaning up your language Frank, and anyway, a new idea for all of you to eschew: Should any politician use his or her religion as a crutch to make decisions for the public?

Not only do I think a politician should use his/her religion to make decisions...but I would expect them to do so.

I also would expect them to use whatever other phisosophical sensibilities that are part of their make up.

To do less....would be to ask them to be hypocrites.

I would hope that most could separate the theology...from its applications to the general public. I'd hate to see any politician advocating enacting as law...some of the shyt contained in the book of Leviticus, for example.

Quote:
Or are problems in the Middle East and Africa stemming from no separation of church and state? Hey Fox, do these ideas trip your trigger? Laughing

I want to see the government totally out of the religion business. They have no right associating our country with any particular god...nor with the notion of a god at all.

The government as an institution...should be secular.

If anything I've said in response to these two paragraphs seem in conflict...one with the other...I suggest you read it through a couple of times.

There is no conflict.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:16 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

In any case, I am saying that the inclusion of the phrase in the official pledge of loyalty to my country...is a de facto infringment on my rights...our rights...not to have the govenment take a position on religion...whether between competing religions...or by deciding there is a god that has to be recognized.

That is not a function of government.

If I could isolate one valid point, it would be this one.

In fewer words, I thought this one about summed it up.

Frank Apisa wrote:
But they should not intrude their simplistic beliefs in things that belong to the general public....like the pledge of allegiance.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:24 pm
mesquite wrote:
wandeljw wrote:
Frank Apisa wrote:

In any case, I am saying that the inclusion of the phrase in the official pledge of loyalty to my country...is a de facto infringment on my rights...our rights...not to have the govenment take a position on religion...whether between competing religions...or by deciding there is a god that has to be recognized.

That is not a function of government.

If I could isolate one valid point, it would be this one.

In fewer words, I thought this one about summed it up.

Frank Apisa wrote:
But they should not intrude their simplistic beliefs in things that belong to the general public....like the pledge of allegiance.

Thanks, Mesquite. :wink:
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 09:51 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
hyper426 wrote:
And think about this....the people who believe in a god need that belief, athiests don't. Can't you see that because of this, the athiests should have the strength to ignore that phrase, because the religious people don't have the strength to be without it?

I haven't really participated much in this thread, primarily because I've seen all the arguments before. Running across a new argument in the church-state debate is about as likely as running across a yeti ordering lottery tickets at the local convenience store.

So it was with a mix of both surprise and excitement that I read the argument above. If I understand it correctly, hyper is arguing for some kind of religious affirmative action: just as handicapped persons, for instance, need the government to step in and mandate special parking spaces and ramps, so too do the religiously afflicted need the government to step in and permit them, feeble as they are, to rely upon the crutch of faith in public places. A monument to the Ten Commandments in a courthouse, then, would be little different from a wheelchair-accessible bathroom: in both cases it would be an accomodation for handicapped.

Atheists, under this theory, would be comparable to the able-bodied general public. Not requiring special accomodations themselves, they have no right to complain about those who, crippled by their own religiosity, are unable to make their way in the world without government assistance. In other words, that creche in front of city hall isn't a public endorsement of any particular creed or religion, it's the government's attempt to reach out and help those special-needs constituents whose fragile faith amounts to nothing less than a disabling condition.

Congratulations, hyper, I think you've correctly diagnosed the situation: religion isn't the cure, it's the disease.

ha, ha, ha Laughing

I love this...I AM going to use this in my debate Twisted Evil all my Christian counterparts are gonna hate me, aren't they? Ah, well...hey, can you help me find more facts supporting this?
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 10:01 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Okay...so you find me to be a dumb ass.

You certainly are not the only one to come up with that.

I'll tell you what I tell them:

Don't read what I write.

nah...its too much fun...like I said, I am enjoying this...it takes alot to work me up, and two words aren't enough to do that
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Tue 11 Jan, 2005 10:23 pm
hey, amala, join in the frey!!!! Actually, since i started this site, I have a proposition...let's move away from the pledge entirely

How about the 10 commandments thing...or, better yet, let's leave America altogether, and look at the rest of the world with an unbiased opinion, since we seem to be full of that! Laughing Anyways, just a friendly suggestion, 'cause I ended my reading on pg. 17...and I don't want to catch up on all of the pledge arguments
0 Replies

spiffysquirrel

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 11:11 am
If the government shouldn't be biased in terms of religion, then should preachers and other religious persons be allowed to voice their opinion on politics when preaching?
0 Replies

spiffysquirrel

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 11:16 am
Frank Apisa wrote:

Not only do I think a politician should use his/her religion to make decisions...but I would expect them to do so.

I also would expect them to use whatever other phisosophical sensibilities that are part of their make up.

To do less....would be to ask them to be hypocrites.

In going with the above theme, I would say yes, in repy to my own query. But then should religious institutions be allowed to back political parties or candidates, not an individual preacher, but an entire institution. I know this can't be incorporated very well in the debate, but I thought it was an interesting idea.

Separation of church and state - shouldn't it go both ways?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 11:41 am
spiffysquirrel wrote:
If the government shouldn't be biased in terms of religion, then should preachers and other religious persons be allowed to voice their opinion on politics when preaching?

Well...speaking just personally...I am not against any person or institution speaking their minds...and attempting to influence the direction the country is headed.

In fact, I probably would encourage it.

I am interested in the government staying out of the religion/philosphy business.

I don't want the government taking a position of the question of whether one religion is "better" than another...and I don't want the government taking a position that guessing there is a God is superior to guesing that there are no gods.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 11:44 am
spiffysquirrel wrote:

In going with the above theme, I would say yes, in repy to my own query. But then should religious institutions be allowed to back political parties or candidates, not an individual preacher, but an entire institution. I know this can't be incorporated very well in the debate, but I thought it was an interesting idea.

Separation of church and state - shouldn't it go both ways?

No it shouldn't..at least in my opinion.

If the government limited what individuals or institutions could say or think...it would be intruding.

Let 'em do whatever they want.

If you are suggesting that certain tax benefits be withheld if they get into political activity...I could go along with that.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 12:51 pm
Trying to prevent the influence of religious organizations on politics is the flip side of the coin of trying to prevent the influence of higher educational institutions, a huge bucket of worms that is best left alone.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 02:11 pm
mesquite wrote:
Trying to prevent the influence of religious organizations on politics is the flip side of the coin of trying to prevent the influence of higher educational institutions, a huge bucket of worms that is best left alone.

You will pardon the expression...but...

AMEN! :wink:
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 02:14 pm
I have a question that I want a reply from from both fox(or supporter), and frank(or supporter)...

how can a government not have views on religion, when it is made up of people, and all people have religious views, even if those views are to not believe in a specific religion?

Also, what is best, a tyranny of the majority, or a tyranny of the minority? In history, it seems that one or the other is always prevalent.

and Frank, I am sure that asking a pardon is unnecessary, good Christians don't hold grudges Laughing
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 02:39 pm
hyper426 wrote:
I have a question that I want a reply from from both fox(or supporter), and frank(or supporter)...

I'll be glad to give you my opinion.

Quote:
...how can a government not have views on religion, when it is made up of people, and all people have religious views, even if those views are to not believe in a specific religion?

Well...I disagree that ALL people have religious views...but let's let that slide.

Each individual can have his/her personal philosophy (or religion)...and bring it to the mix. But that does not mean the person has to commit the government to that view.

Each person has a personal view about clothing...or about favorite foods. Of course those things will be important to the individual. But that does not mean that the government has to have a view of clothing...or favorite foods.

Each person working in government....elected and employed...has to realize that although he/she MUST draw on personal convictions and philosophy...he or she must not commit the government to those views.

Catholics, Protestants, Jews, Hindi, Islamics, agnostics, atheists...all work for the government and except for acknowledged agnostics and atheists...are elected to office. They will bring their personal convictions and philosophies to their jobs. Right that they should.

But they cannot allow themselves to intrude those convictions and philosophies on the rest of us.

That doesn't always work. Sometimes, they do intrude them. And that is the reason some of us are fighting the fight we are fighting.

Quote:
Also, what is best, a tyranny of the majority, or a tyranny of the minority?

Ultimately...no tyranny is right.

Our laws are set up to protect the minority from the willfull caprice of the majority.

But all other things being equal...the majority wins...and should.

The problem in our discussion here has been that Foxfyre, notably, has refused to see that any rights are infringed by the government supporting the notion that we are a nation under some god or another.

All of our rights are infringed by this...and the fact that Fox cannot see it doesn't change that.

Did I understand your questions correctly, Hyper? If you want explanations of my responses...just ask. I'll be happy to accomodate you.
0 Replies

hyper426

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 03:00 pm
for the most part, like I said, I wanted both opinions on this...and even though no tyranny is best, I asked because when one looks at the question pragmatically, one has always existed, and will almost certainly always exist. I am still alittle fuzzy on the point of view thing, though. If someone admits to having certain views, that influences if they are elected or not(majority rules), and proves that their views are, for the most part, accepted and supported, right?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 03:21 pm
hyper426 wrote:
for the most part, like I said, I wanted both opinions on this...and even though no tyranny is best, I asked because when one looks at the question pragmatically, one has always existed, and will almost certainly always exist. I am still alittle fuzzy on the point of view thing, though. If someone admits to having certain views, that influences if they are elected or not(majority rules), and proves that their views are, for the most part, accepted and supported, right?

Yes. But so what?

There was a time...until relatively recently... where, in our southern states...people acknowledged they had views (that whites should dominate society and blacks should know their place)...and they were elected by huge majorities.

Are you suggesting that we should have simply turned our heads and said, "Well...that is the will of the majority?"

I suggest no.

Now it may be easier to see the rights that were being infringed upon in that scenario...than in the scenario being battled in this thread. But that does not mean there are not rights being damaged in the latter.

The majority cannot always be allowed to prevail simply because it is the majority. That is why our system of government...although allowing for the views of the majority to prevail in most cases...is set up to prevent the majority from unduly infringing upon the rights of the minority (minorities!).
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 12 Jan, 2005 04:39 pm
spiffysquirrel wrote:

I don't see how the government could stop them since they are private organizations. But I don't think the churches themselves approve of this.

I could be wrong about the laws surrounding this, because I've heard about some objection to garnering votes through churches, but I'm not certain which party is objecting to this practice.
0 Replies