The Bicycle Thief

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 01:13 pm
Oh my God! Wasn't that the most depressing movie EVER? I rented it this weekend. Amazing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,145 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 02:13 pm
I found it profoundly sad but if it depressed you there are medications for that. Actually, when I first saw it, I couldn't help feeling uplifted leaving the theater with the realization that there are many people in the world held captive by their circumstances and perhaps I should be happy not being one of them. Then I realized that could be construed as a very selfish response and we are all captive to providence. The movie certainly did what it intended to do. The meal in the restaurant is only one of the classic scenes in all of filmmaking history.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 02:30 pm
You want depressed? I'll tell you about depressed. For years I wanted to see "Seance on a Wet Afternoon".

http://www.mrqe.com/lookup?Seance+on+a+Wet+afternoon

I finally got to rent that movie in 1987, (It was a 1964 film, so I had waited a long, long time.) It was a drizzly, miserably cold, and gray day. I had just gotten some very bad news from my doctor.

After seeing that film, I was beside myself.

One of these days, when the sun is shining, I will see that movie again!
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 02:50 pm
"Bicycle Thief" is one of my all time favorites. It's been decades since I last saw it and the plot details are dim; however I have a strong recollection of the effect it had on me. Although the situation was indeed depressing, the tears that were frequently running down my cheeks were not usually from sadness but from joy at seeing the love that existed between father and son.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 02:58 pm
Quote:
I'm all for re-releasing fresh prints of classic films so that new generations can see firsthand how boring they really are. "The Bicycle Thief," however, is an exception, as the only inspiration one can really cull from the movie is the urge to plunge corkscrews into one's eyes. Granted, 1940s postwar Rome might not have left director Vittorio De Sica in the best of moods, but let's just say if they had a special Oscar category for depressing films (call it the "Bummer") this gem would probably still be winning it.

http://www.mrcranky.com/movies/bicyclethief.html

Kicky- I think that Mr. Cranky agrees with you! Or are you Mr Cranky??? Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:24 pm
Mr. Cranky has totally missed the whole concept of the film and Italian Neo-realism. He needs to go back to film school. It's not until the last fifteen minutes of the movie when all is revealed about human nature, revenge inparticular and that it's not so sweet after all. Those who spend the large amounts of money on restoring such classics aren't doing so without realizing there's still a substantial audience out there who appreciates them.

flyboy has the point of the film firmly imprinted on his memory and too bad some didn't get the message. I guess they are fathers who hate their sons.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 06:25 pm
Or sons who hate their fathers, take your pick.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 09:35 pm
Actually, I totally disagree with Cranky-dude-guy-whatever, except the fact that it was depressing. It was. But, I thought it was one of the most touching stories I've ever seen. To think that such a simple story could have so much power...I thought it was incredible.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 10:41 pm
It was a masterpiece. I loved every minute. LW has already summed it up. Now, for a lighter watch, kicky now must see The Icicle Thief. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097702/ It was only rated 6.8/10 on imdb, but I remember it being pretty funny. I also thought kicky would enjoy the trivia regarding the translation from Italian.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 11:29 pm
Laughing I have no idea where I'm going to find a copy of that, but thanks for the laugh. Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 11:44 pm
Smile It must be on video....
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 12 Dec, 2004 11:54 pm
Yeah, but probably not widely available to rent. I have been to a few video stores lately, and there isn't a huge selection of Italian movies available, trust me. Maybe you could get it for me as a Christmas gift?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 12:31 pm
I'd suggest joining NetFlix at about 17.00 a month, giving you three DVD's at one time and no late charges. It's a great deal and they have a huge inventory that a brick-and-mortar store simply can't carry.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:11 pm
Isn't the name of the film "Bicycle Thieves", in plural? (Ladri di biciclette).

It's a very good film, not my favorite De Sica.

Perhaps it's because we live in different social realities, but I found "Ladri di Biciclette" somewhat contrived, and not particularly deppressing. A realist film. Reality is harsh and does not need to be either embellished or overdramatized. And it often is open-ended, like the film, but with little hope, like the film.
It does not deal with the hungry underclass, but with an average worker having hard times. The misery it portrays is more human than material.
And yes, the father-son interaction is unforgettable. So is the pizza.

Now a little bit of trivia: who played the soccer game in the film? (hint: you see a bus load of the visiting team's fans, with banners).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 01:49 pm
I guess one has to consider the time the film was released. It can seem rather prosaic to a modern viewer but there's no lacking of poignancy in the circumstances the characters find themselves in. That's timeless when one considers what movie has tackled these same themes so effectively? Anything in the last fifty years? I don't think so.
0 Replies

thiefoflight

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 07:22 pm
I haven't watched BICYCLE THIEF yet. I'll add it to my list but I recently watched DODES'KA-DEN (1970) it was directed by Kurosawa. It follows a group of people who live in a shanty town outside of Tokyo. I found it depressing but will watch it again.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Dec, 2004 08:13 pm
There is a difference between sad and depressing. Some films are oppresive like "Woman in the Dunes" but that's because one begins feeling like the trapped protagonist.
0 Replies