Got a car or gotten a car

paok1970

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 05:02 am
@centrox,
From the article you suggested:

Consultative register
This is the register used when consulting an expert such as a doctor. The language used is more precise. The speaker is likely to address the expert by a title such as “Doctor”, “Mr.” or “Mrs.”.

Some sources say this register is the formal register used in conversation.

My question is the following:

Is "consultative register" used only in conversation?
centrox

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 05:08 am
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:
Is "consultative register" used only in conversation?

No, it is used also in written communication. I use it myself in my job when writing officially to judges and lawyers.

0 Replies

paok1970

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 05:18 am
@centrox,
Do you find my English too formal? After all, I have been asking questions about grammar and, sometimes, about idioms, phrasal verbs and so on. Should I "adopt" a more informal style?
centrox

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 05:21 am
@paok1970,
paok1970 wrote:
Do you find my English too formal? After all, I have been asking questions about grammar and, sometimes, about idioms, phrasal verbs and so on. Should I "adopt" a more informal style?

I find your English uniformly excellent and not too formal at all. Informal and casual registers are a minefield for the non-native speaker. I suggest that you keep your present style.
paok1970

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 06:59 am
@centrox,
Thank you.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 09:50 am
@centrox,
I agree with Centrox. Do you encounter non-native speakers in your language? Hopefully you are patient and understanding with them... most people are.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 11:06 am
I have got a car.

Considered awk or redundant (informal), but a colloquialism often used. 'Have' and 'got' in that sentence could be communicated more efficiently by saying,

I have a car.

---------------

'Have gotten' is more about when you came into possession of the much ballyhooed car.

It refers to a thing you accomplished at a fixed time in the past.

"Bro, I don't want to walk downtown."

"Bro, chill, I've gotten a car." (Implying the purchase has taken place in some interim time since they last spoke.)

"What?! This is awesome."

(Bro was unaware until now.)

Lash

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2017 11:08 am
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/grammar/british-grammar/common-verbs/have-got-and-have

What ya got?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 09:56 am
@Lash,
If the goal were efficiency, we would all be saying "I've car".
Lash

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 10:10 am
@maxdancona,
I've a car.
I have a car.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2017 05:12 pm
@Lash,

i gots me a car...

0 Replies