Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 10:37 pm
I am interested in a Jani-King franchise and am gathering information. Are there any current Jani-King franchisee's that can share their experience, pro/cons, etc.? Any information you can provide in helping me make a decision is appreciated.

Thanks,
George
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 76 • Views: 243,962 • Replies: 576

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 05:40 pm
Welcome to A2K, george. I'm afraid I can't really help you with Jani-King. Never heard of them. But tell us what the business is about, please. -rjb-
kickycan

Reply Sat 11 Dec, 2004 05:54 pm
I looked into a couple of those franchises at one point a while back. I never did it, but it didn't seem too bad an idea. I have an uncle who owns a janitorial business, and he says the only bad thing about it is the employees. Laughing

Good luck with your research!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 10:15 am
Each year Entrepreneur magazine lists the top franchises and info for each one - startup costs, requirements, rules and regs etc. I know they were listed as one of the top franchises in the Jan. 2004 issue. Check out their 2005 issue (probably already out) and see if they are still on the list. You can go to their website and don't have to buy a copy. Just an idea.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 27 Dec, 2004 01:22 pm
That franchise is perennially one of the top 50 low-cost franchises in Entrepreneur magazine. It's been on that list they have every year since I started looking, around 1998 or so.
0 Replies

cleaned-out

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:35 pm
I currently have a Jani King franchise. The worst thing I ever did.
My franchise is out side the US. So I don't know what its like there.
The bottom line is I have been left with a bad taste in my mouth and before people say its sour grapes. I'm making a little money and only because I have had to fight Jani King for every cent. Jani King will undercut competion to obtain work, making it almost impossible to achive the sales lines they throw at you when you sign about making your business grow
I believe that Jani King is driven by pure greed. I cannot trust a single word from my Jani King regional manager.
I also believe that Jani King work on the basis of after two years they make life so difficult for the franchisee. They then at their wits end walk out of the franchise thus leaving Jani King free to sell it again.
If my details seem obscure its because I have a genuine fear of retribution from Jani King.
Crying or Very sad
kickycan

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:40 pm
Wow, that is VERY interesting news. Glad I never got too far along with those people.
0 Replies

cleaned-out

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 07:51 pm
It is kickycan. The other thing I forgot to mention is that thecurrent number 7 ranking for Jani King is not for Franchisee's but Master Franchise holders. You will find very few Franchisee's in it longer than 2 years and almost none after 5 years.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 08:41 pm
cleaned-out: I am sorry that this turned out badly for you. I asked, back last December, what this franchise was all about. The thread withered away with no answer. Franchiising janitorial services? All I am looking for is someone who will keep my building clean. I don't care about a fancy name or uniforms. Just keep the place clean.
Right now, I have a young couple, who spend about a quarter an hour each & every day, emptying the trash, cleaning the restrooms, vacuuming the carpets. 2 and a half hours a week = 10 hours a month for $150. They have it down to a routine.
Not big bucks, but because of their diligence they picked up the store next door, and the one next to that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2005 08:51 pm
I hate to bring up this bugbear, kicky will understand, but I've heard intimations re ital mafia and janitorial services - I am thinking east coast. I don't think that is at all operative, in, say, LA.
0 Replies

cleaned-out

Reply Fri 12 Aug, 2005 04:27 am
realjohnboy wrote:
cleaned-out: I am sorry that this turned out badly for you. I asked, back last December, what this franchise was all about. The thread withered away with no answer. Franchiising janitorial services? All I am looking for is someone who will keep my building clean. I don't care about a fancy name or uniforms. Just keep the place clean.
Right now, I have a young couple, who spend about a quarter an hour each & every day, emptying the trash, cleaning the restrooms, vacuuming the carpets. 2 and a half hours a week = 10 hours a month for $150. They have it down to a routine.
Not big bucks, but because of their diligence they picked up the store next door, and the one next to that.

RealJohnBoy.... A couple working off their own initiative earn all the money for themselves after expected expenses. With a JaniKing Franchise the franchisee needs to purchase the contract from JaniKing for 3.3 times the monthly billing before the contract is serviced (in this case the contract would be $495) . Then each month we would need to pay 14% of the monthly contract to JaniKing to cover royalties and administration costs. Doesn't paint a very profitable picture for someone who is trying to make a living does it? Coupled with a regional office that is seriously under cutting competitiors to gain the contracts....I rest my case!
0 Replies

penniless

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2005 04:40 pm
Cleaned-Out is so right
Cleaned out is so right. Please do not touch a JK Franchise. It will ruin your life completely. I am also based outside the US and I am now facing huge financial loss.

The way they go about getting your money and your eventual treatment is nothing short of SCAM Artists. They also underbid contracts so that you can never really make a profit.

Like Cleaned out, I have to be very careful and remain incognito for fear of reprisal from these people especially as I still own a Franchise. It is only now after speaking to other Franchisees and those who have been able to get out that I now know the true extent of their deceit.

Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

magnor517

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:06 pm
Jani King
Cleaned out and penniless that is very disturbing info. I too am in the early stages of seeking out a franchise and am considering Jani King. I am in Canada, can you tell me where you are located. Also are you making money? Appreciate the help
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 05:49 pm
I know a woman who has run an office cleaning service for years. She started it herself, marketed it on her own and now has about 15 employees. She pays her taxes and keeps her insurance up to date. She also complains about finding good help and says it is worth it to pay a good salary when you find a good worker. Why would you need a franchise to start such a company? I can understand if you want to sell burgers and fries, but with cleaning services the product is people.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 31 Aug, 2005 06:03 pm
I agree with Green Witch on that.
0 Replies

pennilessking

Reply Thu 1 Sep, 2005 04:08 pm
Hello folks, I have just had to change my name from penniless to pennilessking.....

Magnor, please take heed of our warning and do not waste your hard earned cash on this Franchise. In fact now, I would say don't waste your money on ANY Franchise. You can do it all by yourself.......
If you do take this particular one on, you will live to regret it and believe me it is not sour grapes.
Making money means at least being able to cover monthly bills which is what my plan was when I took on this business, if not in the first then more likely in the 2nd Year and most definitely the 3rd right?
Well it's not happening and I am not certain that it will. The money that is so called "profit" does not allow me to pay my mortgage let alone other debts.
Everything goes towards very high overheads from which JK gets a commission. To be Forewarned is to be Forearmed.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Pennilessking
0 Replies

jani-ripoff-kinig

Reply Fri 13 Jan, 2006 10:22 am
After recently coming into contact with this company with my partner being given a job with them as sales executive I would not trust them as far as I could throw them! During the induction training for new sales staff they are told to lie to obtain contracts... they undertake a very hard sell attitude, say anything and do not leave until you have a cleaning contract signed for. Do not go into business with them, they will rip you off. They are run by ex double glazing and timeshare salesman.... what does that tell you about their ethics???? They do not possess any...
0 Replies

thickhead

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2006 06:24 am
jani king (GB)
I had dealings with these guys 2003/4. It cost me over £110k. They offered me loss making accounts, under-priced jobs and a terrible service.
If you are thinking about buying into Jani-King (GB), stop and think again.
Speak to a solicitor and an accountant. You will pay JK a one-off charge equal to 3 times the monthly invoice value of all new accounts in order to operate as a franchisee. JK will then deduct 15% of the contract value for all work you charge the client.
You must use all materials and equipment specified by JK ( indirectley, they get 15% "commission") . Above all else, you will never own the accounts...they belong to Jani-King. If you have a customer service problem, Jani-King will send an "account manager" to visit the client and you will be charged for his visit( ie expenses + £25/hour).
If you obtain customers by your own means, those accounts will belong to Jani King and you will have to pay them 15% each month.
If you decide to leave Jani King, they will only pay you a third of what you initially paid them for each account. Beware this outfit, they will clean you out at the drop of a hat.
0 Replies

pennilessking

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 09:48 am
Jani King are con merchants
Thickhead is so right.

Anyone thinking of getting into this please do not even try. Once you are in, that is when the bullying begins.

They have an in house law team whose job it is to intimidate. They send you breach letters at every opportunity and charge you for the priviledge of visiting your accounts to tell you that you are not following their system.

The contracts are hugely underbid so that after you have paid them their 15% commission and your staff, you are left with absolutely nothing. In the last year, I am certain that more than 60% of the people who signed up and spent 100K + doing so, have now left or are thinking of doing so. Those that do not leave are too frightened to do so.

CON ARTISTS! DON'T GO NEAR THEM!!!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 10 Feb, 2006 10:45 am
So, ummm...anyone know of any GOOD janitorial franchises? Or any good franchises at all? Is there such a thing?