A fresh graduate

maha26

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2017 01:43 pm
As someone who did MS in Microbiology last year, no publication as yet, not planning to work in the lab (but lab experience while doing thesis), what should the next practical move be in terms of starting out a career?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,361 • Replies: 4
No top replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2017 01:56 pm
@maha26,
You don't plan to work in a lab?

Do you just want to teach others from books?
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2017 02:41 pm
@maha26,
First of all, congratulations on your achievement!

But I'm with osso - without lab work, what are the options for a person with an MS in Microbiology? Apart from a professorship, I would imagine you could go to medical school, but if you haven't gone yet, I suspect you wouldn't be interested now. Nursing school? Branch off into another scientific field like Botany? Go the PhD route and then revisit this question in a few years?

What does your gut tell you?
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 12 Aug, 2017 02:59 pm
@jespah,
I responded too fast - I've a microbiology degree and was brought up short by your planning question. I had a six months internship at Scripps Clinic, then an offshoot of Scripps Institute, this in the mid sixties. Then was hired to run an immunology lab.. all by myself, within a med center department at my beck and call. Things progressed and I was happy with where I worked and the people I worked with, but wanted to change fields when I found I was keen on both architecture and landscape, decades later.

I don't regret any of that, I like knowing a bunch in both fields. Sort of a team brain in the works. By my age now, I'm losing track of the old details, but still interested.

Listen to Jespah.
0 Replies

PhilGeis

Reply Sun 27 Aug, 2017 05:16 am
Seems you're at loose ends - not sure if you want to continue being a student but unaware of what else you might do. Suggest you pursue employment - get a job, work for a while and decide. There are jobs for microbiologists from government (CDC, FDA, EPA, state health labs) to companies (from Sherwin Williams paint Bristol Meyers Squib pharma) to testing labs.
0 Replies