How are Math and Music related?

CarbonSystem

Reply Mon 13 Dec, 2004 05:08 pm
Tell me about it. How else can you explain the quadratic formula?
0 Replies

JaGalloway

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 09:38 am
Music & Math
I belive that music and math are related because not only do you have to count, you have to reconigze certain patterns. Math is full of adding this and subtracting that; well music is also. When you have 2 half notes tied together they equal a whole note. For those that don't know what im saying, a half note gets 2 beats and a whole note gets 4 so 2 + 2 = 4. Music is also filled with numbers. When you go up and down the scales you are only singing 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 instead of do re mi fa so la ti do. Not to mention that you have to look at you time signature also. If you are in 4/4 then an 8th note will get 1/2 beat but if you are in 2/2 an 8th note will 1 beat. Music and math are more related than we think
0 Replies

JaGalloway

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 10:09 am
Learning through music is extremely effective because it is completely brain compatible. It stimulates and unifies cognitive function and automatically touches three of the four modalities through which the brain processes information. Music is auditory, kinesthetic/tactile (movement), and tactual (elicits emotion). When song lyrics are made available in the printed form, music also taps the visual modality. Music provides meaning and relevance to the learning process through its inherent emotion and patterning. Songs, poems, rhymes, and raps can thus become incredibly effective vehicles for long term and cumulative learning.
0 Replies

TheCorrectResponse

Reply Tue 5 Feb, 2008 10:30 am
This might be more along the lines of what you are getting at ROS.

Unfortunately I am not currently consulting to big pharma and so don't have access to the full article. Crying or Very sad

I remember it was very interesting.

From: Neurosci Lett. 2004; 354(3):193-6 (ISSN: 0304-3940)

The neural correlates of the previously hypothesized link between formal musical training and mathematics performance are investigated using functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI). FMRI was performed on fifteen normal adults, seven with musical training since early childhood, and eight without, while they mentally added and subtracted fractions. Musical training was associated with increased activation in the left fusiform gyrus and prefrontal cortex, and decreased activation in visual association areas and the left inferior parietal lobule during the mathematical task. We hypothesize that the correlation between musical training and math proficiency may be associated with improved working memory performance and an increased abstract representation of numerical quantities.
0 Replies