bird population decline

cjhsa

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 05:09 pm
I have a pet cockatiel. It is truly a "bird brain". The one I had previously was much more intelligent (wife lost her - flew out the door).
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 07:43 pm
Piffka you're really right . They have an amazing repertoire of noises including what sounds like a chuckle. Same with crows. My ex wife Solveig had a remarkablestory about one. She had thrown some stale rolls out near the feeder. It wa pretty cool but still above freezing. A crow landed near the rolls and sidled up for a quick bite. The head came down for a peck and bounced off the rocklike roll. It stared at the roll and walked around studying it. Tried again. Same result. Studied some more. It looked over at the water in the birdbath which wasn't frozen yet. Looked at the rolls again. Suddenly it jumped into the air. It dragged a roll over to the water and plunked it in. Kept on doing it until the roll softened enough to eat. Clever bird!

Studies have determined that birds more than apes, dolphins and other animals are most like us in their ability to reason out solutions to problems.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:01 pm
Interesting story, Bob. That's a thinking bird. Do you really think they're smarter than dophins and apes, or just that their thinking patterns are the similar? I studied wild crow behavior in school for a while. We used to see how long it would take for a group of crows to figure out that we'd hidden bits of fresh hot dog under dixie cups. Pretty soon, we'd have to move our experiements. All the Green Lake crows of Seattle would be waiting for us. We could hardly get our test area readied before they'd be tipping cups. Very Happy They taught each other by copying behavior and were well-rewarded. They loved hot dogs!

cjhsa -- My sister had a nice bird, a cockatiel, that I liked. It flew away and then came back. It was funny to watch it messing around the house. Loved the Christmas tree, but it was totally in love with the telephone cord. I think it thought the ringing of the phone was somehow connected and it liked the ringing and would often start to sing with it. It liked to talk on the phone and it would sort of throw itself into the tangle of wires and wallow. Strange creature.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 10:26 pm
A friend of mine was giving a speech at the Venice Library opening ceremony, a ceremony with a lot of community participation. Just as she was getting going into her speech, the voice of a cockatiel bellowed out from some palm trees across the boulevard. Well, it continued... Her speech was accompanyied by squawks and laughter..
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 11:56 am
Letty wrote:
Cinnes, you just reminded me that I haven't seen one woodpecker in a long while. They use to peck away at my palms and even drill on my metal gutters. How odd.

I frequently see woodpeckers in the trees here and also at the feeders. This morning one of the redbellieds was in the feeder for about 5 minutes, enjoying a leisurely, solitary breakfast of specialty food.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:07 pm
That first cockatiel flew away twice, the first time she came right back. The second time the wife watched as she flew further and further away. We put her cage outside with food during the day, but she never came back. She may have been sick - impacted egg or something.

The new bird looks just like her, but doesn't act at all the same. The coloration would suggest this one is also a female, but the personality seems more male. I also think the new bird is much, much younger.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 02:46 pm
cjhsa - Sorry to say it, but she probably got 'et, that or beaten up.

My mom had a small parrot that she let sun himself on the deck. One day, somehow, he got out of his cage. His wings weren't clipped. He was seen soaring over our bay for a couple of years. In the first weeks he was beat on by the crows, but then he sort-of became the king of the crows and everybody saw him leading the pack. But one year, he was seen no more. The crows and the seagulls (and every other big bird the crows feel like harassing) used to fight regularly and 'Fred' wasn't a big enough parrot to take on a seagull.

Maybe when your new bird gets older it will have more personality?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:47 pm
There's actually a colony of large green parrots that live in Sunnyvale, CA. I often hear them flying overhead - they make lots of noise as they fly up and down the peninsula. I've counted as many as 15 in the flock, but typically it is more like 3 to 5. One time they stopped in my neighbor's live oak - what a sight. Huge birds making a huge racket.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 03:56 pm
http://www.svcn.com/archives/sunnyvalesun/08.12.98/CoverStory.html
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Dec, 2004 04:51 pm
I understand there are several colonies of escaped parrots--some large enough to be a nuisances to farmers.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/04/0407_030407_parakeets.html

Bittner lives in Telegraph Hill, close to downtown San Francisco. And so does a colony of cherry-headed conures Aratinga erythrogenys, also known as red-masked parakeets.

The birds first turned up in the early 1990s. They were wild-caught birds from Ecuador and Peru which either were released or escaped after being imported as pets. Bigger than the average parakeet, with plumage that flashes bright green and red, they soon caught Bittner's eye. He's been captivated by them ever since.

Biographies of those intrepid urban settlers appear on Bittner's Web site, The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill. The stories document the trials and tribulations of an intriguing range of characters, just like a television soap drama.

There's poor old Scrapper, for instance, henpecked for years by an abusive mate that plucked out all his breast feathers. In the end he split with the old bird and set up home with a younger, nicer female. He still bears the scars of his former pairing.

Then there's Patrick, who shies away from long-term commitment. Bittner's biography of him adds: "He's had a few tentative short-termers that lasted a few months, but never a relationship that lasted years. That's extremely unusual within the flock. He seems a reasonably contented parrot."

One of Bittner's favorite birds is Fanny who comes to sit on his shoulder and take seeds from his mouth. It shows the closeness of Bittner's relationship with these wild birds, which are naturally wary of humans.

Noisy and Funny

"Generally the birds are pretty popular," Bittner said. "They are colorful, noisy and funny. They do a lot of acrobatics, things you don't usually think of a bird as doing. They hang upside down from the power lines. They chase each other and fight. Yet they also make devoted pairs. You often see them preening each other and being, well, 'lovey dovey'. People enjoy seeing all of that."

Urban folks also enjoy the performance of a parakeet flock in full display mode. Bittner recalls a day when the birds were gathered in a park and "screaming like lunatics" until they reached fever pitch. Suddenly they lifted as one from the trees and spiraled into the sky. Everybody nearby broke into spontaneous applause.

As San Francisco's cherry-headed conure population grows, Bittner will find it harder to keep tabs on individuals. The flock now has 85 birds, and is increasing each year. It is even listed as an attraction in some city tour guides.

Bakersfield's Rose-ringed Parakeets

In other cities parakeet colonies can be much bigger. In Bakersfield, California, there are over 1,000 rose-ringed Psittacula krameri, or ring-necked, parakeets. Native to the Indian subcontinent and sub-Saharan Africa, the species probably first gained a foothold in Bakersfield after a hurricane-force storm destroyed an aviary in 1977. Alison Sheehey, from California State University Bakersfield, has studied the birds since 1998. She believes their success is due largely to the manmade nature of their surroundings.

"Many urban plants are from tropical to subtropical climates. This established a habitat for the birds long before they took up residence. There are also plenty of backyard fruit and nut trees that keep them well fed," she said.

The popularity of garden bird-feeders is another important factor, and Sheehey says this "smorgasbord of parakeet delights" means the birds are unlikely to leave the city.

Sheehey says it's difficult to gauge the impact of parakeets on native fauna. Nevertheless, she has witnessed altercations with other birds.

"I have seen them battling with European starlings Sturnus vulgaris and acorn woodpeckers Melanerpes formicivorus over nest cavities," she said. "The parakeets won every time."

Promiscuous Parakeets

Sheehey has also encountered fickle behavior among these supposedly monogamous birds.

"One day while watching a nesting flock I observed a male tell his spouse he was going out. He looked back, and seeing she was gone, made a wide circle and came back to a neighboring tree. The good-looking little hen next-door came out, they flirted and, well, you know what happened next."

In London, England, rose-ringed parakeets have been present for some 30 years. Until recently the population expanded slowly reaching 1,500 birds in 1996. But by 2002 the number had soared to 7,000.

Some scientists believe this is an example of the Allee effect, where an introduced species keeps a low profile for a long period before suddenly exploding in numbers. This happens when enough potential mates are around for them to find each other.

But whatever the reason for the increase, it's possible the birds could lose their popular appeal if they stray beyond city limits.

In the fall of 2002, a rose-ringed parakeet flock stripped a vineyard of its crop at Painshill Park in Cobham, near the outskirts of London.

"It would have been a really fantastic year," said Teige O'Brien, Painshill Park's development manager. "But we ended up with just 500 bottles of red wine. The parakeets seem to be immune to scarecrows, things that go bang and all the other bird-scaring devices. I suspect this is going to be an annual problem."

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds, Europe's largest wildlife conservation charity, is aware of such fears.

However, spokesman Andre Farrar added: "Any introduced species could cause a problem many years down the line. But the parakeets will carry on enchanting London's bird-loving gardeners."
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 10:44 am
http://img209.exs.cx/img209/2079/greatgrayowl8ro.th.gif
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 11:31 am
For any of you on the east coast, you may be especially interested in getting a free publication from the government. It is nearly 350 pages long (and in full color) describing 150 bird species and how their populations will react to expected changes in climate. Each species is linked to one or more tree types -- the Cerulean Warbler is linked to the Sourwood & the Sassafras.

It only mentions one owl, the Great Horned Owl, which it predicts will slightly increase.

Walter provided the link to order this book (FREE!) in Blatham's climate change thread. It should be easy to find. The booklet is called Atlas of Climate Change Effects in 150 Bird Species of the Eastern United States.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:11 pm
I'd like to know how you can say this is a direct result of climate change and not some other phenomena, such as an increase in other predators shrinking the food supply? It was also clearly stated that the supply of mice and voles was cyclical. Perhaps the last high cycle produced so much prey that the predatory birds overpopulated?

I just am absolutely dumbfounded at the auto-conclusion of climate change that you reach.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:14 pm
Are you talking to me, or the author of that article?
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:25 pm
Anybody that believes global warming is the be all end all argument.

Here on the west coast we've been blessed with a bumper crop of fresh seafood - crabs, salmon, etc. Some like to say it is because of the Clean Water Act making San Francisco Bay healthier. But the real truth is that over the past 10 years there's been a huge upswell of cold deep ocean water over the continental shelf. This brings rich supplies of plankton which in turn make their way up the food chain.

And I can guarantee you that no human activity has anything to do with that flow of water.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:29 pm
I have neither blamed global warming in this context nor have I dismissed it.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:32 pm
cjhsa wrote:
I'd like to know how you can say this is a direct result of climate change and not some other phenomena, such as an increase in other predators shrinking the food supply? It was also clearly stated that the supply of mice and voles was cyclical. Perhaps the last high cycle produced so much prey that the predatory birds overpopulated?

I just am absolutely dumbfounded at the auto-conclusion of climate change that you reach.

What a strange knee-jerk reaction for someone who I sincerely doubt has even read this study. Whether or not there is human activity involved doesn't dismiss climatic change.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 12:58 pm
I'm wondering, did you ever even consider what I put forth?
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 01:04 pm
Link to owl info:

http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/YearoftheOwls.html

My pal Mike and I were just talking about this as great gray owls have been reported a little north of us in Massachusetts. Of boreal owls there have been only two reported in the last century here and Mike banded one of them.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 25 Feb, 2005 01:10 pm
This from our paper today:

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/environment/story.jsp?story=614558

Mystery of the silent woodlands: scientists are baffled as bird numbers plummet
By Michael McCarthy, Environment Editor
25 February 2005
It has hardly been noticed, but it is another sinister warning sign of a world going badly wrong. Populations of some of Britain's most attractive woodland birds are plummeting at a rate that threatens them with extinction, and nobody knows why.
Precipitous declines in the numbers of some species, of up to four-fifths, have been registered over the past 30 years, but scientists are just realising what is happening, and they have no simple explanation.
In its scale and its range, the phenomenon …….
0 Replies