check the sentence

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2017 09:36 am
Hi,

I am trying to write my CV and i need some help because my first language is not English. I want to write the following sentence and I want to ask if it is correct.

Sentence:

I attended courses in Physics at University during the academic years 2014-2017. Over the 3 academic years I attended workshops and lectures in the following courses: Advanced Quantum Mechanics, Optical Properties of Solids etc.
Can you tell me if the above sentence is correct and if not correct it.

Thanks,
Marios

dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2017 11:47 am
@mariosxxxx,
Mario you write good. Only coupla very minor,

Having attended courses in [Cutting-Edge ?] Physics at the University during academic years 2014-2017, I had attended workshops and lectures also in Advanced Quantum Mechanics, Optical Properties of Solids, etc, etc.

Quote:
Thanks,
Marios
Welcome,
Dale

Oh incidentally, a2k Mgrs, Glitch #4,664: When I leave Ed Window to go check a spellin' , when I come back you've deleted my entxre response

...even b4 I had saved it...
centrox

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2017 11:49 am
Don't introduce a list with 'the following' and then provide a partial list.

Don't use 'etc' after a partial list if the remaining items are not obvious, as they are not in this case.
centrox

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2017 01:54 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
Don't use 'etc' after a partial list if the remaining items are not obvious, as they are not in this case.

Good example:

Write on a piece of paper the odd numbers lower than 10 (1, 3, 5, etc)

Bad example:

I have visited France, Australia, Japan, etc.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2017 03:18 pm
@centrox,
By golly cen, you gotta be a journ 'spert; I know you tol' me but with Alzie's I don't 'mem'. Bet you could ed. my ed.'g

Hey it got saved. js' li'l while ago I got a msg from Mgmt sayin' I'd been disdbarred from a2k
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2017 04:39 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:
Don't use 'etc'...

Use 'etc' very sparingly. It can quickly become annoying and make the reader think you are lazy. I thought this today while re-reading some emails I had written at work.

dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2017 05:00 pm
@centrox,
Thank you Cen---but I am---so then can't I use it

Far as OP goes, of course you might be right, I never thot 'bout that. Appreciate all past, present help

PS: I almost think it was a dream, but I 'mem' a msg from Mgmt tellin' me I'd been disbarred, but still I seem to be able to save, even this'n....

Edited later to remark that when I found the msg, they had only disbarred me for a couple of hours !! When I mentioned somewhere back that a2k is probly the most lib Chat Room on the Web, this sure proves it !!

Still I'm awful confused. I 'mem' dozens of my posts in the last few weeks been del'd, dunno why, tried to find out but was unsuccessful. It's like ridin' upside down and in circles on a 'coaster while tryin' to 'mem' on my keyboard whee to find the 'Tab' light...

It's all like a dream
centrox

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2017 05:07 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
a2k is probly the most lib Chat Room on the Web

You should see Reddit. A2K is liberal enough to let you write '****' or '****', and be pretty extreme in many ways, but they do seem to take a dim view of incoherent nonsense. Quite rightly so.
dalehileman

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2017 05:11 pm
@centrox,
Quote:
incoherent nonsense
Wha Cen, who, me

What's Reddit, Chat Room ? & d'you think they might accept my nonsense ?
0 Replies

mariosxxxx

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 05:17 am
@dalehileman,
thank you for your response. are you English teacher? is wrong to say I ATTENDED courses in Physics at University during the academic years 2014-2017?
Over the 3 ACADEMIC YEARS I ATTENDED workshops and lectures in the following courses:Advanced Quantum Mechanics, Optical Properties of Solids etc.
My concerns is not capital letters mainly. Thanks for your help
mariosxxxx

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 07:56 am
@centrox,
thank you. so everything in my sentences is correct?
centrox

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 08:05 am
@mariosxxxx,
mariosxxxx wrote:

thank you. so everything in my sentences is correct?

You didn't read what I wrote, did you?
dalehileman

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 11:15 am
@mariosxxxx,
Quote:
thank you for your response.

Not atall Mario

Quote:
are you English teacher?
Naw, ol' ret'd Electronicsd & Journ Major

Quote:
is wrong to say I ATTENDED courses in Physics at University during the academic years 2014-2017?
'Course not Mario but why'd'j'a ask

Thanks for
Quote:
your help
For what li'l't's worth. By the way lissen to Cen, he's 'way smarter'n me
0 Replies

mariosxxxx

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 12:52 pm
@centrox,
yes. you just mention only the word etc. that why i am asking if everything is correct. now i deleted the word etc.
dalehileman

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 01:22 pm
@mariosxxxx,
Mario, I like the word (abbr) 'etc,' use it allatime. Wherever I wanna say, 'there'sd a lotta...,' ''My Letter's gettin' too long,' etc etc etc

'N you c'n skip all them '.' 's. In a lifetime save ya 4,619,226 keystrokes [by act. ct.]

There's ho'lot more, I'm [apparently dumdum] [email protected]

Tho Cen's probly right

Oh Cen if ur list'n', didja ever think about why they delete my OP's but not my resps, like this'n' ? My God but it's been such a mystery, the whol'thin'
centrox

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 01:37 pm
@mariosxxxx,
mariosxxxx wrote:

yes. you just mention only the word etc. that why i am asking if everything is correct. now i deleted the word etc.

Why did you use 'etc'? Because the list was not complete? Is it now complete?
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 01:39 pm
@dalehileman,
dalehileman wrote:
Oh Cen if ur list'n', didja ever think about why they delete my OP's but not my resps, like this'n' ?

Easier to delete an entire thread?
dalehileman

Reply Sat 5 Aug, 2017 04:08 pm
@centrox,
Easier to delete an entire thread?

Oh hell yes,\Cen; in the first place, it's all done w/ a swipe'v the highlight, big'n or small. Sometimes I think it's 'cause the OP stands out more
0 Replies