Layoffs are producing net loss of jobs

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 12:22 pm
Our economy is supposed to be "growing," but I'm hard-pressed to see the evidence when more jobs are lost than are created. Bush's tax cuts that are supposed to increase jobs still isn't working. What is the solution?

U.S. Nov. layoffs up 2.6% to 104,530: Challenger By Rex Nutting
WASHINGTON (CBS.MW) - U.S. corporations announced plans to eliminate 104,530 jobs in November, the third month in a row that planned layoffs exceeded 100,000, according to a tally kept by outplacement firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas. Announced jobs cuts increased 2.6 percent in November from October's 101,840, and were up 5.1 percent from November 2003's 99,452, the firm said Tuesday. It's the first time since early 2002 that layoffs were above 100,000 for three months in a row. The 12-month average of announced job cuts rose to 85,309 from 84,886 in October.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 845 • Replies: 3
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 12:26 pm
What is the solution? Go shopping!

Spend spend spend.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 12:37 pm
FreeDuck, Spend, spend, spend, is easier said than done when more people are losing jobs. One must earn $$$$$ before they can spend. Job creation is the key, but how? Can't spend money people do not have. Most consumers are already up to their eyeballs in debt.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 12:47 pm
I was being sarcastic. Sorry, should have made that clearer.

But since you mention it, we have shown how it is possible to spend money you don't have. Our government sets the example by going into debt and consumers follow suit. Most people are in debt up to their eyeballs.

But I don't really believe that the key to growth, at this point anyway, is more spending. Clearly the money is trickling down somewhere, it just doesn't appear to be happening here.

I don't know a solution. At least not a simple straight forward one.
0 Replies