Time needed to become lawer

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 05:14 am
Hi everyone.I am recovering from back surgery and had to give up my job as an auto mechanic.I went back to collage 4 years ago and was taking computer information systems but my back got so painful I could not sit thru classes and decided to have surgery.I took about a year and a half worth of courses but now am interested in transferring to criminal justice, then into law school.A lot of the classes I took do not transfer over to criminal justice so I feel like they were basically a waste of time.I did get a few reading,writing and math classes out of the way though so all was not lost.I am mostly worried about algebra since I am 43 years old and have not had to worry about any math problem solving since high school (a very long time ago).I am on methadone for my back and will be for the rest of my life since my back was pretty messed up and although I had two titanium bolts put in my back I still have other problems with other disc's.I am on disability and have a grant that is paying for my school.I have a 3.5 GPA right now but I am worried about the effects of the meds I am taking and my age and am wondering if I might be biting off more than I can chew.My girlfriend was killed in an auto accident a few years ago so it is not like I have anything to keep me from working 24/7.I guess I am just wondering if I am to old to be trying to do this and should maybe try something a little easier.I think I would love to be a lawyer though but the math scares the crap out of me.I am more interested in law for the justice parts of it than I am for the money although I am sure it would pay a lot more than I made as a Porsche-Mercedes Benz mechanic.Any information on going to law school and or options would be helpful.Thanks in advance,Lawyer wannabe! Confused
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,021 • Replies: 1
No top replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 09:53 am
Daniel61: Sorry to hear about your situation.

Law school takes three years. Once you graduate, you will be eligible to take the state bar exam, which most law grads take the summer following their graduation. Once you've passed the bar, you are officially a lawyer. So there's no extended period of training, as would be the case with a physician; if you pass the bar on your first try, it's three years plus a few months from entering law school to becoming a full-fledged lawyer.
0 Replies