Mold, moss or algae?

amorgan

Reply Tue 1 Aug, 2017 09:34 pm
I'm wondering if this is mold, moss or algae growing right outside my apartment window.

http://imgur.com/a/JUDK2

I've been having trouble breathing for the past 2 weeks and at first I thought it was indoor mold somewhere. Contractors came to look today an told me there was no mold inside and then told me this was moss. Also I live in a studio apartment and this windows is pretty much my only source of ventilation asides from the bathroom window.

From what I see on the internet moss looks fuzzy. This is not fuzzy at all. This is completely flat and has black around it. I feel like this is where my problem lies but I'm not sure. I also heard algae can be equally as bad as mold to breathe in. Any thoughts?

rosborne979

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 04:54 am
@amorgan,
That's probably some type of moss. But what the heck, kill it anyway just to see if your issues go away. It's the easiest test, and you're cleaning up the bricks at the same time. Spraying it with bleach will probably do it.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 09:54 am
@amorgan,
If it's got green in it, it's probably not mold because mold isn't a plant and doesn't contain chlorophyll. Typically on the outside of houses, anything that starts to turn green is either Algae, Moss.

amorgan

Reply Wed 2 Aug, 2017 12:00 pm
@rosborne979,
Thanks. If you look at whats around the green you see a ton of black. I'm thinking if it is algae then the black stuff is mold, eating at the algae. At this point I'm almost certain its not moss because there's no actual plant growing out, it's completely flat. I guess we'll see.
rosborne979

Reply Thu 3 Aug, 2017 10:30 am
@amorgan,
I agree it's probably not moss. And the black stuff is probably just dead/dried algae around the edges. Green bricks are extremely common (as are other green exterior surfaces), and it's almost always algae in one form or another.

0 Replies