Windows won't shut down

rufio

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:43 pm
Yeah, that's the way of it. I have Windows ME on my other partition, and I don't use it much, but recently it won't shut down. I go to the start menu. Click shut down. Select shut down from the dropdown menu. It goes all dark like it's going to shut down, and then it brightens back up, and doesn't shut down. Repeat. Ctrl+Alt+Dlt doesnt work either. Eventually I just get sick of it and shut it off with the power button. Someone help?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 619 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:45 pm
There's not enough information to provide help.

But from your other threads it sounds like you have seriously messed up your computer in your attempts to get both OSes working.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 07:56 pm
Really? I've had it this way for...... 2-3 years, and it's never done this before. The internet thing got cleared up, and was very definitely the fault of the idiots who work at the helpdesk here, who refused to acknowledge the problem, despite the fact that it turned out there were several other people with it as well.

What other information do you need? I only seem to have problems with ME, and I had problems with ME before I ever installed linux as well. I mean, that was the reason I installed linux.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 08:04 pm
Thing is, I really don't know what information we need, we just know that it's not shutting down.

A start would be to give us your power settings.

I will probably not be of much help but this is what I would do first (other than replacing ME):

Empty your TEMP folder and cache folders and defrag.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 08:07 pm
Dunno if this goes to the point of your particular problem, but often, Windows shutdown problems can be traced to a running program or application that won't properly terninate and unload. You might wanna see if you can track down something along those lines. Corrupted audio or video drivers can cause shutdown failures, too. Does the machine shut off OK from a shutdown command in safemode? If so, that's a pretty good clue that the problem is something that loads with Windows at startup, or that either you or another application loads during a session.

Again, no idea if any of this is applicable to your situation - just tossin' out common generalities.
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 08:42 pm
Well, I don't usually have any programs (that I know of) running when I shut down, and the computer doesn't seem like it's doing anything either. I run adaware on occassion and don't download things on windows very often in any case. Anyway, usually if I try to shut down and there's another program running, it pops up a message about it. There's one program I occassionally forget to shut down, but it usually takes care of that one OK.

Power settings - do you mean when it hibernates and so forth? Windows has actually had a problem with hibernating for a while. It'll go into hibernation, and never come out. So I prevented it from hibernating. More specific things I'd probably have to actually log on to that OS to find out.

I haven't tried running it in safe mode, but I'll do that when I get on next and see what happens.

Let me think.... it also froze up for no apparent reason today, but I know that probably doesn't tell you much. I recently downloaded a font and installed it in the fonts folder and for a while word was thinking it didn't have any fonts, until they mysteriously all came back. Yeah, I'm sure none of this is relevant, but that's all I've noticed in the past few days.

Oh, and this has never happened on my linux partition.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 08:56 pm
Rufio, here are a couple articles you might find useful:

Aumha.org: Windows ME Shutdown Problems

Microsoft: How to Troubleshoot Windows Me Shutdown Problems
0 Replies

rufio

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:00 pm
Thanks for those links, I'll try some of those things. Sorry I couldn't be more specific. Confused
0 Replies