Nearly Half of Britons Unaware of Auschwitz?

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:55 am
There was a man living in Willamantic Connecticut in the 1930's who was a survivor of Andersonville. I have talked to people who knew him and could repeat the stories he told. Andersonville is still (marginally) within the memory of oral tradition.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:56 am
Yes, timber. It's truly horrible how we treat/ed prisoners. I read an essay on Andersonvill and it blames both sides with equal measure. Seems about right, soldiers are so often forgotten and left in abysmal situations.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 11:17 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
I would be very curious as to differences in knowledge of Auschwitz by age distribution. Is the holocaust NOT being taught in the UK?

Well, actually, English history teachers (excluding those, I know!) are blamed for a stress on the Nazi era when teaching German history by Germans.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:11 am
Useful overview of concentration camps (and similar detention camps) in different countries in wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Concentration_camp
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:37 am
Just to clarify:

Concentration Camps (in German: Konzentrationslager, KZ) were rison camps constructed to hold Jews, Gypsies, political and religious opponents, resisters, homosexuals, and other Germans considered "enemies of the state." Before the end of World War II, more than 100 concentration camps had been created across German-occupied Europe.
Quote:
Throughout German-occupied Europe, the Germans arrested those who resisted their domination and those they judged to be racially inferior or politically unacceptable. People arrested for resisting German rule were mostly sent to forced-labor or concentration camps. The war brought unprecedented growth in both the number of camps and the number of prisoners. Within three years the number of prisoners quadrupled, from about 25,000 before the war to about 100,000 in March 1942. The camp population came to include prisoners from almost every European nation. Prisoners in all the concentration camps were literally worked to death. According to SS reports, there were more than 700,000 prisoners registered in the concentration camps in January 1945.

Extermination Camps (in German Vernichtungslager) were Nazi camps, equipped with gassing facilities, for mass murder of Jews. Located in Poland at Auschwitz-Birkenau, Belzec, Chelmno, Majdanek-Lublin, Sobibor, and Treblinka. Up to 2,700,000 Jews were murdered at these six camps, as were tens of thousands of Gypsies, Soviet prisoners of war, Poles, and others.
Quote:
The Germans deported Jews from all over occupied Europe to extermination camps in Poland, where they were systematically killed, and also to concentration camps, where they were drafted for forced labor -- "extermination through work." Several hundred thousand Roma (Gypsies) and Soviet prisoners of war were also systematically murdered.

All of above quotations from Nazi Camp System

List of Camps (not all of the more than 15,000, but the most complete [online] list)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:40 am
The Diary of Anne Frank and the study of it, made my students quite aware of the holocaust, but I always tried to balance the equation by providing a list of required reading that included all views of the First and Second World Wars.

As far as Andersonville goes, Ralph Ellison's The Invisible man, also made the young people aware of the situation that faced the black man in all givens.

Until we are able to view history from all perspectives, and make certain that no biases are included, we will keep coming full circle, and the world's social conscience will become only guilt with no chance for betterment.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 10:44 am
As a product of one of England's best schools (truth, not bragging), I can honestly say that the holocaust never formed part of my formal education.

However, by the age of 18 I had already watched several TV programmes about it (notably "The World at War"), read books by Primo Levi and visited Dachau in person.

I know I'm unusual in the extent of that knowledge but I am AMAZED that such an iconic camp as Auschwitz is not known by half the population.

One of the most moving elements of my working life was to see photocopies of the arms of two sisters, with tatoos of the numbers given to them in Auschwitz. I was conducting an investigation into assets deposited by victims of Nazi persecution ("Nachrichtslosen Vermoegen"). I managed the investigation of the affairs of one private bank in Zurich, Switzerland.

Here is a link to the claims site which uses information collected during that project: Claims Resolution Tribunal
0 Replies

australia

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 08:53 pm
Also keep in mind the large number of old people suffering from dementia and alsheimers who were killed in experimental gas chambers prior to them being used in the concentration camps. Hitler used them as guinea pigs as he wanted to be sure they worked effectively before using them on enemy's of the state.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 8 Dec, 2004 12:37 am
I suppose, you are referring to Euthanasia, the so-called T4 program.

Six concentration camps were used for this purpose, and about 10,000 psychiatric ill people killed in these camps, beginning in 1940.
(The first one ever was in January 1940 in Brandenburg, the most known gaschamber in Grafeneck, Baden-Würtemberg.)
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 07:17 am
why?
Did't the british education system tell it to the students?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 07:28 am
^JB^ wrote:
why?
Did't the british education system tell it to the students?

I really can't answer the "why", but:

Quote:
(Filed: 26/10/2004)
[...]
British history teachers have been flown to Berlin at German taxpayers' expense to learn that there is more to the country than the Nazi era.
Twenty-four teachers from primary and secondary state schools are on a four-day tour at the invitation of the foreign ministry, which has complained that Britons are too obsessed with Adolf Hitler and know little about contemporary Germany.

"It is frustrating that British people concentrate on Germany in the Second World War while ignoring the economic miracle, the building and collapse of the Berlin Wall, re-unification and half a century of democracy," a ministry official said.
[...]
Telegraph (you have to register)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 07:31 am
Quote:
"It is frustrating that British people concentrate on Germany in the Second World War while ignoring the economic miracle, the building and collapse of the Berlin Wall, re-unification and half a century of democracy," a ministry official said.

True, but the Germany of WWII, and the Germany of today are two entirely separate issues. I think that it is very important, no matter how embarrassing to Germans, that young people understand what can happen when people put their lives in the hands of a madman.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 07:36 am
Well, Phoenix, I would really wonder, why the German history taught at schools should stop at 1945, even when I accept your reasons. Sad
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Thu 9 Dec, 2004 03:59 pm
0 Replies