Nearly Half of Britons Unaware of Auschwitz?

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:17 am
Nearly Half of Britons Unaware of Auschwitz?

By Jeffrey Goldfarb

LONDON (Reuters) - Nearly half of Britons in a poll said they had never heard of Auschwitz, the Nazi death camp in southern Poland that became a symbol of the Holocaust and the attempted genocide of the Jews.

The results of the survey conducted by the BBC were released Thursday as Britain's public broadcaster announced it will show a new series next January to mark the 60th anniversary of the concentration camp's liberation.

"We were amazed by the results of our audience research," said Laurence Rees, a producer on the series, "Auschwitz: The Nazis & the 'Final Solution.'"

"It's easy to presume that the horrors of Auschwitz are engrained in the nation's collective memory, but obviously this is not the case," Rees said.

The survey found that 45 percent of those surveyed had not heard of Auschwitz. Historians estimate that anywhere from one million to three million people, about 90 percent of them Jews, were killed there.

Among women and people younger than 35, 60 percent had never heard of Auschwitz, despite the recent popularity of films such as "Schindler's List," "Life is Beautiful" and "The Pianist," which depict the atrocities of the Holocaust.

"The name Auschwitz is quite rightly a byword for horror, but the problem with thinking about horror is that we naturally turn away from it," Rees said.

The BBC said the research was based on a nationally representative postal survey of 4,000 adults 16 and older.

The broadcaster is marking Holocaust Memorial Day, January 27, with a variety of television and radio programs.

The Auschwitz series for BBC2 is based on nearly 100 interviews with survivors and perpetrators and is the result of three years of research with the assistance of professors Ian Kershaw and David Cesarani.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 7,662 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:24 am
I'd have thought at least 90% should have known. I want to note though that one might well know of the holocaust without recognizing the name Auschwitz.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:29 am
I have been to Auschwitz. It is incredible to think it happened only 63 years ago
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:48 am
Einherjar wrote:
I'd have thought at least 90% should have known. I want to note though that one might well know of the holocaust without recognizing the name Auschwitz.

Einherjar - me, too. Don't you think it would be interesting, though, if similar poll results were known here in the U.S., or say.......Poland?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:50 am
I wonder how many young people in countries other than German and Israel know?
0 Replies

JustWonders

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 12:54 am
DL....some here in the US couldn't find Canada on a map of North America LOL.

<Not my students, of course>

Smile
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:09 am
JustWonders wrote:
Einherjar wrote:

Einherjar - me, too. Don't you think it would be interesting, though, if similar poll results were known here in the U.S., or say.......Poland?

I find it more interesting as a british phenomenon, would have sort of expected it if the poll was from the US.
0 Replies

australia

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:12 am
Most people don't know about Bensen or dachau either.
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:22 am
Thats different, those weren't made icons of.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:28 am
Bergen Belsen you mean?

Hmmm - I know about them all right...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 01:52 am
Dachau was the first - it opened in the eartly spring of 1933. 10 years later, there were 7 large-scale murder factories; Auschwitz-Birkenau, Belzec, Bergen-Belsen, Chelmno, Dachau, Majdanek, Sobibor, and Treblinka, along with dozens of smaller, lesser known hells. In the camps and in the ghettos, of which there were many - scores of large ones, hundreds of smaller ones - throughout Europe and the occupied portion of the Soviet Union, the number of dead by war's end was greater than the population of any but the very largest of today's cities, greater by far than the population of today's Israel, including Palestine.

That such might be unremembered is a crime surpassed only by the Holocaust itself.

Edited to correct really stupid typing/editing error/oversight, as caught below by Paaskynen - timber Embarrassed Embarrassed Laughing

Anybody think I'll ever learn to use "Preview"? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:34 am
I would be very curious as to differences in knowledge of Auschwitz by age distribution. Is the holocaust NOT being taught in the UK?
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 06:49 am
The concentration camps mentioned above were the destruction camps, meant for the industrial processing of human beings and the maojority of people sent there were jews and gypsies (By the way Belzec in Polen, was not the same as Bergen Belsen which was in Germany). Other concentration camps were meant to be prison camps for the punishment of criminals, homosexuals and political enemies of the Nazi regime. Most male Dutch resistance fighters were sent to the camps of Mauthausen and Buchenwald, where many were executed or tortured to death, the women were subjected to similar treatment in the women's camp of Ravensbrück. Some high profile Jews were sent to the "model" camp of Theresienstadt.

The Netherlands had two main concentration camps on its soil: Vught and Westerbork, the latter being a (relatively mild regime) transit camp for Auschwitz and Sobibor. Two family members of mine spent time in a sub camp of Vught.

Incidentally, Finland had concentration camps too during the war, for ethnic Russians and (alleged) communist collaborators, and conditions in those camps were very harsh.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:02 am
Good catch, Paaskynen - I screwed up Laughing
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 09:11 am
Quote:
That such might be unremembered is a crime surpassed only by the Holocaust itself.

agree
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:22 am
In another 25 years, when the vestages of that generation are gone. It will be 90% or better.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:30 am
You're sadly, but very prolly, right, au. Not many Americans, and damned fewer by a longshot outside The US, have any concept of what Andersonville once meant.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:37 am
When I was growing up I knew people (adults) who had been in the camps and still had their ID numbers tattooed on the arms. I also had school mates who had fathers in army units that had liberated camps. Thus I had a fairly direct connection to information about the Holocaust. As that generation passes on that direct link is fading and so to is the knowledge.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:47 am
Until this very moment I had never heard of Andersonville. It's amazing how we humans continue to treat our fellow man and how quickly we forget our sins.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 6 Dec, 2004 10:50 am
Didja google it Ceili? Horrific, shameful blot on American History.
0 Replies