Charlie Gard Has Passed

Linkat

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:06 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

Quote:
Of course it is up to the parents. Unless a parent is abusing their child, there is no reason for the government to be involved. As far as the child being in pain and distress - one - there is pain killers; two - how often do human beings go through pain even when there is no hope of recovery and we keep them alive? In the case where a person (whether it child or adult) cannot decide for themselves - a proxy is put in place in this case the parent.

How do you feel about Seventh Day Adventist parents who don't want their kids to have blood transfusions? Or parents who don't want their kids to be immunized? Are you really saying there is "no reason for the government to be involved" in medical decisions?

If you are consistent on this, than you are taking a respectable stance. But I don't think that saying that the government has no role in being involved in medical decisions is as simple a stance as you are pretending. Western governments regulate quite a bit based on medical ethics; there are laws on abortion, and human cloning, and organ donation... all of these things are regulated even if a parent wants them to give hope to their child.

I agree with Finn, the issue is whether the State has the right to make life or death medical decisions against the will of the parents. However, I believe that in cases like vaccinations, and blood transfusions, and ethically questionable procedures, that the State does have that right.

There is a difference as in my quote "Unless a parent is abusing their child, there is no reason for the government to be involved."

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:10 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Too late. Patient died.

That's pretty unfeeling.

In fact your whole comment is.
Sturgis

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:12 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Unless the parent is abusing their child...

Ah, but who decides what qualifies as abuse? For some, not giving treatment which is readily available would meet the standard.
Linkat

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:17 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

There have been similar cases in other countries. In Ireland practically the same scenario played out in 2014, when the case of a child with mitochondrial syndrome came before the Irish High Court. The family's lawyer said this week: "The parents never believed there could be a miracle, but wanted to know they had done everything they could to help their child. At the hearing, everybody accepted that the condition was terminal. Everybody accepted that the child in question was going to die.” He also said that he advised the parents at the centre of the Irish case against going public. He was concerned that “ultra religious” people would try to become involved, that "situations like this" could lead to the family in question becoming ”part of someone else’s agenda, to the point it’s no longer about your child’s needs”. He commented: "As is the case in Charlie Gard’s case, it’s now about the everybody but Charlie Gard. The parents are tied up in a circus."

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) said on July 13, “Health care should be between patients and doctors. Government has no place in the life or death business.” Sound familiar? Ryan didn’t frame the debate quite right in his Facebook post. Health care should be between physicians and patients, he said — but it was Charlie’s own doctors who were pushing for a palliative care-only approach. Ultimately, it wasn’t Ryan’s government bureaucrats, but rather Charlie’s health-care providers who decided that his condition was beyond treatment. (British courts agreed with them.)

I agree but aren't you allowed a second opinion? Do you need to go by what is said by one doctor and his associates? If you had a life impacted disease or other medical situation wouldn't you want another opinion? Seems there was another opinion from respected doctors that there was at least a slim chance. If you had a child in this situation where your current doctor had no hope at all and suggested letting your child die - would you want a second opinion? And if that second opinion was from another respected doctor saying they have an alternative treatment that has a slim chance of helping would you want the opportunity or at least a chance
Linkat

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:38 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I think that it always difficult for someone used to a certain legal system and legal procedure that it may work elsewhere differently.

In the USA, clinicians cannot withdraw life support without the consent of a decision-maker. Such decisions in England have largely been left to courts to decide.
Under the Children Act of 1989, patients in Charlie’s situation can be assigned their own independent legal representative to ensure that their interests are met, rather than the interests of their families.
Charlie’s guardian agreed that life support should be withdrawn, generating a complex legal case involving the hospital, Charlie’s appointed legal guardian, and his parents. (See the EHCR's decision linked above.)

Thank you God that I do not live in the UK and I live in the USA where I can decide what is best for my children.

I am in this situation now - not life threatening but threatening enough if my child is not cared for correctly she may never be able to play sports. For her this would be very difficult. Insurance keeps saying things are not medically necessary that the head of sports medicine for Boston Children's is stating is medically necessary. Fortunately I live in the US so I can decide to pay out of pocket and continue to fight the insurance company for coverage. It certainly is a small comparison for parents fighting for the life of their child.
Linkat

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

hightor wrote:

Too late. Patient died.

That's pretty unfeeling.

In fact your whole comment is.

Read any of the comments in favor of the hospital/doctors whatever in the UK - not one of these individuals commenting have even hinted at any sort of sympathy towards the parents of this child.

Very telling.
Linkat

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 01:51 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:

Ah, but who decides what qualifies as abuse? For some, not giving treatment which is readily available would meet the standard.

This is done regularly - there are standards set for what is considered abuse - most if not all developed countries have some sort of child protection agency for this purpose.

You should as if you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Anyone with basic common sense knows that there are parameters set on what consists abuse.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:03 pm
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Quote:

Which could lead to an assertion that GOSH "abused" Charlie.

There have been and will continue to be cases like this one where the decision involving the child is not easily categorized as abuse or proper. It is around such cases that important, but difficult societal decisions are made.

I appreciate that there are some folks who have an unquestioning faith in experts, or at least a default position that they are always to be trusted over non-experts, and while they are welcome to their rigid beliefs, the mere fact that this is such a controversial case indicates that they, by no means, represent the predominant attitude towards this issue.

If there were a case where the State interceded to save the life of a child doomed to die because his parents, for whatever reasons, refused to provide consent for a routine procedure that had a success rate of 90% or more, we would not be having this discussion. The same can be said for a case where the parent's attempt to save the life of their child entailed clear and horrific pain and suffering for the child. Frankly, those who may attempt to liken this case to those are being intellectually dishonest and motivated, I think, by some unfortunate need to defend either experts in general or the State. It's almost like an exercise for young students in Progressivism University.

Those who recognize what a gut wrenching decision this had to have been and who still side with the experts don't, at all, offend me. Disappoint me perhaps but I accept that this situation can be viewed from two rational perspectives.

I would like to think, and I believe I am probably right to think so, that few, if any, of the GOSH doctors involved in this case went home at night, laid in bed and fell quickly to sleep because "Case Closed."

We seem to be embarked upon an inevitable course toward surrendering all of our decision making to a State that knows what is best for all of us. This may not be the perfect example of that course, but there are a myriad of others. I find it incredible that anyone thinks that, for the most part, this is a good thing, and if they deny they do I would suggest that their position on this case determines the validity of their denial.

Are we really content with a society where the State (and it's experts) can always override the love of a child's parents?

Some feeble efforts have been made to distinguish the GOSH doctors, and (even more unbelievably) the courts from the State, but of course neither of those "players" would have ever figured in the "game" if they didn't have the enforcement power of the State behind them. If Charlie's parents had attempted to board a plane, with their son, to the US, it wouldn't have been the GOSH doctors or the judges who prevented them.

If people feel it is best to surrender such significant decision making to the State, that's fine, but it's very disappointing to see them attempt to argue it's not even subject to question or dispute.

0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:07 pm
Finn, you're coming over like an identikit American far-right crank. Certain signs - frequent use of words like 'overreach' and 'State' with a capital S, plus the overall tone. OK, have your views, you're entitled to them, but understand that many don't share them, and won't be altered in their views by what you post.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:10 pm
@Linkat,
I realize the thumb feature is regularly abused in this forum and I've come to accept it but I would so love to know what miscreants thumbed down Linkat's post.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:14 pm
@centrox,
I must admit that especially this "State" confuses me quite a bit.
But since it's decades ago that I studied law (and Scottish [and English] law more or less as a guest for one semester in Dundee), I might have forgotten such
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:21 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

I must admit that especially this "State" confuses me quite a bit.
But since it's decades ago that I studied law (and Scottish [and English] law more or less as a guest for one semester in Dundee), I might have forgotten such

From someone who dines on the obtuse, I'm not surprised.

Let's try one more time...

Could the involvement of the GOSH doctors or the courts have had any meaning whatsoever it they were both not supported by the power of the State?
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:22 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:
And if that second opinion was from another respected doctor saying they have an alternative treatment that has a slim chance of helping would you want the opportunity or at least a chance

They got that chance. The first opinion came from a team of doctors at possibly the world's leading children's hospital. The second doctor was actually awarded an honorary contract by GOSH so he could examine the child, offer his opinion, and potentially offer treatment. He flew over, saw the child, examined scans, and said that it was "very unlikely" that "he would benefit from this treatment."

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:29 pm
@centrox,
centrox wrote:

Finn, you're coming over like an identikit American far-right crank. Certain signs - frequent use of words like 'overreach' and 'State' with a capital S, plus the overall tone. OK, have your views, you're entitled to them, but understand that many don't share them, and won't be altered in their views by what you post.

Well there you go. I doubt know how many times I've used the term "overreach" but I bet the majority of times have been in response to someone who used it first.

As for capitalizing "State," give me a break. How do you want me to refer to it so that it will make you comfortable?

What exactly is my overall tone?

I won't alter other opinions? No kidding Dick Tracy! I didn't endeavor to do so from the start. Instead I have spent most of my time in the thread countering insipid responses while acknowledging there is an alternative view point. The last bit, of course, doesn't include accepting idiotic notions that the State was not the primary source of opposition to the wishes of the Gards.

Does a libertarian viewpoint threaten and anger you this much?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:39 pm
@Linkat,
Who judges what constitutes the "abuse" of a child? If a court determines that further treatment of Charlie Gard was child abuse... then we haven't solved anything.

I think that is pretty close to what happened, except maybe those exact words weren't used.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
What's "unfeeling" about it? It was a response to oralloy on an American message board not a letter to the bereaved expressing my sentiments concerning their loss. Why does a discussion of parental rights require participants to assume a pious attitude and clutch a gladiolus bouquet? Regardless of their age, extremely sick individuals most often succumb to their affliction when medical procedures are no longer effective. Countless numbers of suffering people expire every day and each one is a personal tragedy. That's a constant of the human experience.
hightor

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 02:52 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Read any of the comments in favor of the hospital/doctors whatever in the UK - not one of these individuals commenting have even hinted at any sort of sympathy towards the parents of this child.

Much attention has been given to the plight of the dead patient and the parents. I think someone ought to be able to comment of the story without first stopping to genuflect.
Quote:
Very telling.

Very telling that you would attempt to use someone's personal tragedy to score political points.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 03:19 pm
@Linkat,
Quote:
Thank you God that I do not live in the UK and I live in the USA where I can decide what is best for my children.

I question the wisdom in this.... is there any evidence where having parents override the will of doctors (who are trained medical experts) leads to better medical outcomes? I am highly skeptical that this would be the case. Medicine should be run by science rather than by emotions.

I do know that in cases like the use of antibiotics, and the demand for medically unnecessary MRIs, the insistence of parents in the US to override the decisions medical experts hurts the quality of care in a measurable way.

The ultimate goal is to get the best medical outcomes for the children involved. Making the parents feel empowered is not a part of this. The UK has better outcomes than the US for most medical conditions, your child would get better care in the UK with less chance of complications.
centrox

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 03:35 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
I think someone ought to be able to comment of the story without first stopping to genuflect.

Yes. Well said.
0 Replies

centrox

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 03:36 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I do know that in cases like the use of antibiotics, and the demand for medically unnecessary MRIs, the insistence of parents in the US to override the decisions medical experts hurts the quality of care in a measurable way.

Yes.

maxdancona wrote:
The ultimate goal is to get the best medical outcomes for the children involved. Making the parents feel empowered is not a part of this. The UK has better outcomes than the US for most medical conditions, your child would get better care in the UK with less chance of complications.

Yes.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 11:18:14