Charlie Gard Has Passed

maxdancona

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 03:29 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I am not claiming that there is a contradiction in your position, but I want to point out that you are accepting that there are cases where it is appropriate for the State to be involved.

So, this becomes a question of medical ethics. Your position is based on what you are calling the "sanctity of life". Medical ethics don't mandate that you keep some one alive at all costs. I am not sure what "sanctity of life" means, but it shouldn't mean refusing to accept the fact that people (including children) die.

My position on this case is that questions on medical ethics should be made by the medical establishment. The parents obviously have a very strong interest, and they should a voice... but the parents aren't in the position to make a rational decision on the most ethical course of action, or what is medically in the best interest of the child.

There are many cases where medical ethics means letting critically ill people die. There was an interesting story about lives that could be saved by allowing people to sell organs... we as a society have decided that this practice, even though it would save lives, would cause serious ethical problems and opportunities for abuse.

Not knowing the specifics, I think I tend to side with the doctors.

Below viewing threshold (view)
Below viewing threshold (view)
oralloy

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 06:01 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Let's get this straight. The parents of Charlie Gard were acting irrationally according to the medical experts (their actions are emotionally understandable, but that doesn't make them rational). This story is about medical ethics. The parents were judged to not be acting in the best interest of their child. This was a judgement that was made by doctors and medical experts (not by the government).

How could it possibly be irrational to attempt a treatment with a small chance of success when the alternative is a 100% chance of death?

maxdancona wrote:
Kids die all the time. It sad, but there are many cases where parents lose their children. This is not the fault of government.

It is when the government prevents a treatment that could have saved someone's life.

maxdancona wrote:
The question is about medical ethics. If the doctors believe that it is unethical to pursue a course of treatment for a child, can the parents override them.

Doctors are often wrong (they're only human after all). Is it now a crime against medicine to get a second opinion from different doctors?

maxdancona wrote:
The doctors believed that these parents were clinging to a false hope, and that their wishes would cause further damage.

What damage would be caused by pursuing a slim chance of success when the alternative is 100% chance of death?

maxdancona wrote:
I don't think this story fits the "government overreach" narrative.

They prevented a treatment that had a chance of saving the kid's life.

maxdancona wrote:
This is the story of the medical ethics surrounding a critically ill child.

Tomato, to-mah-to.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 06:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I suggest a better course of action: Never take any side unless you know all the specifics.

That's my personal philosophy and it has served me quite well in life.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 08:21 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am not claiming that there is a contradiction in your position, but I want to point out that you are accepting that there are cases where it is appropriate for the State to be involved.

Why? I've stated the very thing on several occasions in this thread, before you felt the need to point it out.

So, this becomes a question of medical ethics. Your position is based on what you are calling the "sanctity of life". Medical ethics don't mandate that you keep some one alive at all costs. I am not sure what "sanctity of life" means, but it shouldn't mean refusing to accept the fact that people (including children) die.

It is not a question of medical ethics. I am not questioning the reasons for why the GOSH doctors came to their conclusion. Also on several occasions I have indicated I believed they came to their decision in good faith, with medical competence, and not insensitive to Charlies parents. Because they are human beings, however, and not medical demigods, they are subject to the same flaws and foibles the rest of us are and so while I'm not claiming that it is the case, it's possible that at some point in the dispute process, the doctors felt the need to dig in their heels or resented the intrusion of the American medical experts. In the material Walter linked, an expert witness for GOSH testified that there are differing medical cultures in the UK vs the US. One doesn't have to be overly defensive to recognize that she was offering a value judgement on those cultures, and found the UK culture superior. That's fine and dandy, I've no problem with UK doctors believing their medical culture is superior to that of their colleagues in the US, but to the degree, if any, that it factored in their decision making, it would be wrong.

It is a question of individual rights vs the rights of the State.

My position on this case is that questions on medical ethics should be made by the medical establishment. The parents obviously have a very strong interest, and they should a voice... but the parents aren't in the position to make a rational decision on the most ethical course of action, or what is medically in the best interest of the child.

OK, but we disagree. I think that in this case the parents were in the best position to decide what was best of their child, and there was nothing irrational about it.

There are many cases where medical ethics means letting critically ill people die. There was an interesting story about lives that could be saved by allowing people to sell organs... we as a society have decided that this practice, even though it would save lives, would cause serious ethical problems and opportunities for abuse.

Again, I have no problem whatsoever with the GOSH doctors coming to the conclusion that they could not provide any further treatment to Charlie and that in their opinion he should be disconnected from life support and be allowed to die. My problem is their assertion that they were in a better position to determine Charlie's fate than his parents and to go so far as to prevent them from seeking treatment from another facility...no matter how unlikely it was to be successful. We need to keep in mind that there was never any testimony that moving Charlie to the US and his undergoing the treatment would without question, materially increase his suffering, or prolong it any further than the litigation would.

I will reiterate an earlier point that no one has chosen to respond to. Understanding that their concern was for a prolonging of what they were convinced was Charlie's suffering they embarked on a legal process to enforce their decision. It stretches credulity to suggest that someone on their side (even if it was, at first, only their lawyers) didn't understand that this process was not going to be concluded in a matter of days. (in reality in took months and this was not unpredictable). I'm sure at some point GOSH considered that it was necessary to pursue the legal remedy for the sake of precedent. In and of itself that is not a horrific decision. They appropriately were thinking of future cases and how this one would impact them, but that consideration had absolutely nothing to do with Charlie's condition or best interests. On the other hand, his parents's consideration was focused entirely on their son. There is zero evidence that they were motivated in anyway by the attention they received (as, unfortunately, can sometimes be the case)

If you side with the doctors, so be it. I understand the argument for that case, and I don't find it at all reprehensible. I would appreciate from some of those who have chosen to participate in this thread at least the same degree of respect I give their position, for mine.

The thread, at times has, unfortunately gone off on some silly tangents.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 09:48 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
I feel like this is a contradiction in your argument Finn.

You are willing to allow the State to prevent parents from pulling the plug when doctors feel that there is a reasonable chance of a child surviving. This means that you accept that the State does have a role in deciding medical ethics, at least in the case when medical ethics is defined as "sanctity of life". You are stating that the State does have an interest in making some medical decisions even against the will of the parents.

You claim that this is "individual rights versus the right of the State". If this is true, we aren't arguing that individual rights (in this case parental rights) trump the rights of the State, we are merely arguing where the line should be drawn.

"Sanctity of life" is a great slogan. But, it doesn't really draw a clear line...
maxdancona

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 09:49 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I suggest a better course of action: Never take any side unless you know all the specifics.

With all due respect Oralloy, based on the public positions you have taken on this thread, and on politics threads in general... it's hard to take you seriously when you say this.
hightor

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 06:07 am
Doctors are in a better position to assess the condition of a patient than parents are, unless one or both parents are medical professionals in the relevant field of medicine. Putative "parent's rights" don't apply in this case or in other situations such as vaccination. In this instance it was the hospital, not the parents, who were prolonging the life of the child. That's why they brought him there. They entrusted the hospital with their child's care. Knowledgeable medical professionals evaluated the chances that a novel experimental procedure in another country might work and decided that the risk of failure was too high. Case closed.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 12:22 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I feel like this is a contradiction in your argument Finn.

You are willing to allow the State to prevent parents from pulling the plug when doctors feel that there is a reasonable chance of a child surviving. This means that you accept that the State does have a role in deciding medical ethics, at least in the case when medical ethics is defined as "sanctity of life". You are stating that the State does have an interest in making some medical decisions even against the will of the parents.

You claim that this is "individual rights versus the right of the State". If this is true, we aren't arguing that individual rights (in this case parental rights) trump the rights of the State, we are merely arguing where the line should be drawn.

"Sanctity of life" is a great slogan. But, it doesn't really draw a clear line...

Well, since I'm not and never have argued that the State may never intercede on behalf of a child, there's no contradiction.

I claimed that it is a matter of individual rights vs the right of the State in response to your claim that it was a matter of medical ethics. This is statement is not contradictory to my position either. I've never argued in this case or any other that individual rights always trump the rights of the State.

I'm glad to see that you have finally recognized that the intended subject of this thread is essentially where do we draw the line between individual rights and the rights of the State. It seems that there is a perception of me as something of an anarchist which more than one member allowed to override their comprehension of what I have written.

If you have a problem with "sanctity of life" as being a slogan you might want to take it up with the woman who in this case testified that it was the basis for all UK medical ethical decisions.

It's really not that difficult to understand. The premise is that human life is sacred and that when faced with difficult decisions like this preserving life should be the primary goal. This doesn't necessarily mean that every single effort, regardless of the chances of success, should be attempted to preserve any life that can be defined as "living" because the body can remain "alive" due to machines. If you're looking for a bright line, you won't find one. I very much doubt the GOSH doctors are so arrogant to believe they have.

0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 12:34 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Doctors are in a better position to assess the condition of a patient than parents are, unless one or both parents are medical professionals in the relevant field of medicine. Putative "parent's rights" don't apply in this case or in other situations such as vaccination. In this instance it was the hospital, not the parents, who were prolonging the life of the child. That's why they brought him there. They entrusted the hospital with their child's care. Knowledgeable medical professionals evaluated the chances that a novel experimental procedure in another country might work and decided that the risk of failure was too high. Case closed.

Well, as it turned out the case was close, but not as a result of your declaration.

Initially they trusted GOSH to care for their child and initially they had no choice. Are you trying to argue that once a patient entrusts his or her care to a medical facility they are somehow bound to abide by all the decisions made by that facility?

That's the whole point of this case. The parents believed that a different facility could provide their son with the care that GOSH could not and would not and they were not allowed to act on this decision.

Obviously doctors have more expertise in medicine than parents who do not have a medical education or training, but they didn't have a greater interest in the welfare of the child than his parents.

It's difficult to imagine that in all the years of your life you have never found reason to disagree with or not comply with an expert's opinion.

What exactly would have been the harm of allowing the parents to take the child to the US, and if you haven't already done so I suggest you read the material to which Walter provided a link because a presumption won't advance the discussion.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 12:50 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:
What exactly would have been the harm of allowing the parents to take the child to the US ...?
When parents do not agree about a child’s future treatment, it is standard legal process to ask the courts to make a decision.

I suggest you read the material from my link since it's explained there.

Perhaps laws and legal procedures will be changed now in the UK (or in England/Wales at least).
Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 02:08 pm
Why is it that when parents use religious grounds to deny care to a child, doctors and courts don't supercede that ****?

I think I've heard of courts stepping in to save a child, but I don't think that was in the US.

Crazy is crazy, whether or not we call it religion.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/08/12/most-states-allow-religious-exemptions-from-child-abuse-and-neglect-laws/%3famp=1

Some people could state they feel their religious beliefs compel them to use every possible avenue to save the life of their child.
Sturgis

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 02:28 pm
@Lash,
Quote:
Why is it that when parents use religious grounds to deny care to a child, doctors and courts don't supercede...?

I think I've heard of...I don't think that was in the US.

The courts have stepped in on numerous occasions. One fairly recent case was that of Daniel Hauser. He had treatable cancer, due to religious/spiritual beliefs, both he and his family refused it (after an initial round if chemo). He and his mother left town, later returned and he underwent court ordered treatments.
https://religiondispatches.org/when-medicine-and-religion-conflict-around-children-the-case-of-daniel-hauser/

There have also been situations where a parent or guardian has been convicted of a crime for not having sought treatment.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 02:35 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
What exactly would have been the harm of allowing the parents to take the child to the US ...?
When parents do not agree about a child’s future treatment, it is standard legal process to ask the courts to make a decision.

I suggest you read the material from my link since it's explained there.

Perhaps laws and legal procedures will be changed now in the UK (or in England/Wales at least).

Walter I read the material. I didn't see any indication that Charlie would suffer more than he was already suffering if he was allowed to be taken to the US, and taking him there at the outset would not have prolonged his suffering more than the court battles did.

If you are aware of something I missed, please point it out.

Once again...I am not arguing that the involvement of the courts was the draconian measure of a tyrannical State. Courts serve an absolutely necessary function in society and Western civilization would go to hell without them, but they can render wrong decisions from time to time.

I doubt the people who are so sanguine about this decision have felt the same about every decision rendered by a court of law.

There is nothing the Gards could have done other than to seize their child and hope to make it to the US without being apprehended, and there's nothing that can be done now.

I don't know that the laws need to be changed, and I would not be in favor of a law that declared the wishes of parents to always be paramount over the decisions of the State (as represented by a court). I don't really know how a repeat of this case can be avoided in the future, I just know I believe the Gards should have been allowed to take their son for the treatment.

0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 02:35 pm
@Sturgis,
I must not be hearing about these, thanks.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 04:26 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
With all due respect Oralloy, based on the public positions you have taken on this thread, and on politics threads in general... it's hard to take you seriously when you say this.

If you feel that I am wrong in any of my facts, by all means speak up with what you believe the truth to be. That's the sort of thing that leads to an interesting discussion.

If on the other hand you cannot identify any facts that I am wrong about, perhaps you should consider the possibility that I am 100% correct in everything I say.

Or perhaps 99.9999999% correct. No one is ever infallible.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 04:27 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:
Doctors are in a better position to assess the condition of a patient than parents are, unless one or both parents are medical professionals in the relevant field of medicine.

That is quite obviously incorrect. Doctors make mistakes all the time. That's why we have second opinions.

hightor wrote:
Putative "parent's rights" don't apply in this case

Why don't/didn't these parents have a right to have their child treated?

hightor wrote:
Knowledgeable medical professionals evaluated the chances that a novel experimental procedure in another country might work and decided that the risk of failure was too high.

How can the risk of failure possibly be too high when the only alternative is a 100% chance of death?

hightor wrote:
Case closed.

Apparently not. People are still speaking out against this travesty.
hightor

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 04:40 am
@oralloy,
Quote:
Doctors make mistakes all the time. That's why we have second opinions.

Second opinions by doctors. Who says, "I'm gong to call my parents and get a second opinion?"
Quote:
Why don't/didn't these parents have a right to have their child treated?

They did have the right to obtain treatment; they don't have the right to prescribe particular procedures.
Quote:
How can the risk of failure possibly be too high when the only alternative is a 100% chance of death?

They didn't want to take responsibility for allowing an untested procedure which might have killed the patient.
Quote:
People are still speaking out against this travesty.

Too late. Patient died.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 07:14 am
@hightor,
Oralloy doesn't give a monkey's about the child or grieving parents. He said just pretty disgusting things about the parents of children butchered in the Sandy Hook massacre.

Like Finn he's looking for any excuse to attack UHC which is futile, because UHC is by far the best system.

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:46:47