What rock is this?

Reply Thu 27 Jul, 2017 11:07 pm
Someone gave this to me a while ago, and I have no idea what it is. Here are some pictures: (sorry for my bad photography skills) http://imgur.com/gallery/ofY5p
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 758 • Replies: 14

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 07:41 am
@AtomicFury,
could be a number of things with those crystals. Was your friend into rare minerals or just volume of a collection??

emmett grogan

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 10:41 am
Looks like quartz crystals in a slurry of sand and gravel. That's slurry not matrix.
farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 12:29 pm
@emmett grogan,
naaah, the crystals are tabs,quartz doesn't grow tabs,it grows hexagons
0 Replies

AtomicFury

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 02:08 pm
@farmerman,
He has tons of stuff, rare and not so rare. I might just end up bringing it to him and asking.
farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 04:19 pm
@AtomicFury,
Perhaps I could help you if youd have shot them in color. Why did you choose to shoot in B&W, or did you turn the color waaay down.
One of the prisms actually looks like tourmaline but I cant tell in B&W (nd tourmalines don't usually associate with tab crystals unless its a zoisite
AtomicFury

Reply Fri 28 Jul, 2017 09:03 pm
@farmerman,
What are you talking about? I didn't shoot the picture in black and white, that's just the color of the rock.
farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 04:35 am
@AtomicFury,
shoot the rock on a red or green background and put in a coin for scale. Then mess with the programmed values on your cell phone. (Like enhanced, or retro)

I like to compare a minerals color against a known one from a cloth or something. Its kinda weird shooting it on what looks like a kitchen cabinet soap dish
AtomicFury

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 03:23 pm
@farmerman,
Here is some more pictures: http://imgur.com/a/MEtxz again sorry for my **** photography, also that was the largest green thing I had, so sorry that it doesn't fill up the whole screen.
ossobucotemp

Reply Sat 29 Jul, 2017 03:41 pm
@AtomicFury,
Pretty nice photo now, to me. I'm no help on what the rock is, but I enjoy all the rock discussions.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 07:26 am
@AtomicFury,
It actually looks like sphalerite (the black Xlx) in a matrix of some mineral that could be a hundred different ones. The simplest would be calcite or selenite
AtomicFury

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 04:52 pm
@farmerman,
After doing a quick google search for sphalerite I found this: http://geology.com/minerals/sphalerite.shtml (scroll down to the fourth image) which looks very similar to the specimen I have.
farmerman

Reply Sun 30 Jul, 2017 05:00 pm
@AtomicFury,
it has many separate forms (these forms are called "habits" ). From gems to dirt red slabs. Its always associqtd with zinc deposits and sulfides The way to tell is to try to strike a small chunk against a fine toothed file and see if it sparks. Otherways involve some chemical tests that are really not worth the time cause its a fairly common but often showy mineral.I hate to wreck specimens while assaying them.
AtomicFury

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 05:40 pm
@farmerman,
How much do you think it's worth?
farmerman

Reply Mon 31 Jul, 2017 06:49 pm
@AtomicFury,
youd have to talk to a mineral specimen dealer or appraiser. Thats not me.
0 Replies