Signing over of parental rights

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 12:57 am
Is it legal for a parent to sign over their parental rights to another relative? My friend and her mom got in a big fight the other day about my friend lying about where she was one night. Her mom is very upset and wants to ship my friend to live with a distant relative. She had to fill out paperwork. But does she have grounds to just give her child away because of a fight?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,822 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 5 Dec, 2004 08:16 am
Your friend lies to her mother. Her mother doesn't feel in control--and yet she is legally responsible for the actions of her daughter.

Her mother isn't considering sending her away "because of a fight". She's considering sending her away because she lies and can't be trusted.
0 Replies

nadda2lose

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 07:44 pm
I was wondering, My sons father is telling me that he is going to sign over his rights to my son. Will he still have to pay child support after he does that, or will every thing just stop? I know that after he signs that he wont see my son and all that but some people told me that even if he did sign over his rights that he would have to pay. Can any one help me out?
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:08 pm
I am pretty positive that once he signs the child over, it is no longer his responsabily and he will no longer have to pay anything as he has given up all rights to the child. The child will no longer be "his".
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:19 pm
nadda2lose wrote:
I was wondering, My sons father is telling me that he is going to sign over his rights to my son. Will he still have to pay child support after he does that, or will every thing just stop? I know that after he signs that he wont see my son and all that but some people told me that even if he did sign over his rights that he would have to pay. Can any one help me out?

It would depemd on the specific laws of your state. Someone asked this question not to long ago in reference to Texas and when a few of us dug into Texas law there are provisions for a parent to sign over their rights (terminate the parental relationship) but they are still held responsible for paying child support unless the child is adopted by someone else.

I suspect most other states are the same (if you are outside of the US you'd have tyo check your areas laws) simply because the idea that someone could sign away their parental rights to get out of paying child support doesn't sit well with most people. The laws don't usually give anyone that easy of an "out".
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:26 pm
I know a guy that just signed over his kids (basically because he didn't want to pay) He said the mother brainwashed the kids into not liking him and stuff, he wasn't allowed to see them, and couldn't afford a lawyer, so he signed them over. He's no longer paying child support.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 08:42 pm
Anything is possible Stand up! Smile It sounds like she was interfering in his relationship with the kid which could be cause I suppose.

nadda2lose - I posted the relevant state law for you in the other thread you started!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 15 Dec, 2004 09:49 pm
I am not a lawyer, but I suspect his ex-wife had to go to court and testify that their child would be supported--and it was better for the child for him to be out of the picture.

Not to cast aspersions on anyone, but courts in all states try to avoid having a child with two parents (together or apart) on welfare.

In "bad" divorces, parents are not always objective.
0 Replies

wastedsociety

Reply Tue 25 Jan, 2005 11:47 pm
how do i sign over the rights to my child
Im 21 and happily married. My first child is not my husbands and her father doesnt pay child support, doesn't see her and cant hold a job. I want to find out how i can get the paperwork to sign over his right to me and my husband. Any info will help thank you
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 Jan, 2005 07:18 am
Wastedsociety--

Welcome to A2K.

I suggest you re-post your query as a New Topic. This thread may well have run its course and not many people will see your question.

Be sure to include the state where you live because laws vary state-by-state.
0 Replies