Rest in Peace, Saab.

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 01:00 pm
Quoting links from Blatham's Trump thread and the Brexit thread -

https://able2know.org/topic/355218-1323#post-6472077
https://able2know.org/topic/308745-133#post-6472086

Both links have a batch of regular posts mixed with the immediate news about Saab.

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 01:02 pm
I was fond of Saab. Sorry he has left us.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 01:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
Smiles... Saab was a lady who could hold her own in a politics argument (er, discussion).
We did talk about lady things once in a while - how she liked England, how we both like trees...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 01:32 pm
A common mistake on forum site. Saab was a good person, from what I read of her threads.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 01:44 pm
How old was she? Not that it's important for me to know. I haven't posted on the political threads enough to keep up, lately.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 01:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
I don't know, but I think we were in the same neighborhood re age. She may have been quite a bit younger than my now august years.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 02:09 pm
Although we often did not agree, I found Saab to be sensible, and a strong voice for reason in these fora. I am sorry to hear this.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 02:40 pm
I've informed Saab's daughter that we'll have a thread here as an A2K memorial to Saab (her name was Bitten). The family will then have access to our community's thoughts.

Bitten and I began communicating (via the message function here) towards the beginning of this year. We'd first bumped into each other when she posted in a discussion on cars (who doesn't like a woman who likes cars?) Our conversations covered a lot of subjects including where we came from and where we've lived. Bitten was a very bright and nice lady who had a sharp wit. I become very fond of her and though she'd alerted me that some serious health issue had come up, this news is very upsetting.

I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I shared with you folks a portion of a communication she sent me back in March

Quote:
I have moved some too. Here is a picture of my hometown in Sweden - Halmstad. The city is famous for its golf and beaches.
https://www.sailonboard.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/halmstad-aerial-view.jpg

From there I moved to Copenhagen, to New York back to Copenhagen, got married and moved to Zürich and from there to Boston and then we ended up in Germany.
My husband studied theology and later psychology and ended up as psychoanalyst. Yes he also wrote some books.
Here in Germany there are so many rules and regulations and one is that after 65 he would be too old to work as a psychoanalist. But he was not too old to have a few private clients, nor was he too old for golfing or teaching English at the university. He passed away five years ago.
About the same time he retired I go a chance to work for Berlitz teaching Swedish and Danish. I said yes right away. It is very irregular - only when someone wants to move the Sweden or Denmark. It is fun as I as a rule only have one or two students on a private basis. It means I can teach the way they like and support their interests.
I have done this now for almost two decades and still have a chance now and then. Got back from teaching by Berlin yesterday. That I can continue like this means that either there is not anyone else available or Berlitz has no age discrimination and thinks I am still good enough.
I am content living in Germany, my daughter lives in GB. At the moment we - at least not I - do not worriy too much or rather not at all regarding Brexit. How can GB throw out about three million EU citizens.?
Juncker - the alcoholic from Brussels - said a few weeks ago, that EU should treat GB as tough as possible as a warning to other EU countries not to leave EU. A couple of days later he talks about continue the talks for Turkey to get into EU.
I try to spend a few weeks in Sweden every summer as we have a summercabin there by the ocean. It is nice.

We both loved books. Here's another letter from her which I found delightful
Quote:
There are a few philosophy books around here - belonged to the intelectual part of the family - wanted to see if there was a book by Durant. None. I would probably not have read the book, but to glance at it, is something else.
Here are far too many books ( is that possible?) in this house. My daughter wanted two bookcases and the others are full. So I piled the books on the floor. Looked really strange. One of the windows in the kitchen is very drafty - so drafty it is like it is open. So I put some books there to keep out the draft. The reaction from people getting into my kitchen was really suprising.
That looks cosy - How pratical just to sit in the kitchen and choose a book - An intelectual kitchen - I like it.

The result is that now I have books in several windows.One for philosophy, and in another psychology and then theology and history. Plus I given away many to people being interested in these subjects. I have not read those books.
In the kitchen I have now books written by people we know/have known, ancestors, friends and my husband.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 02:44 pm
@blatham,
Thank you for that first sentence..

and the rest..
blatham

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 02:46 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Thanks for starting this thread, osso. I was just about to do that but you're smarter and quicker than me.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 03:18 pm
@blatham,
I still have her waiting if I answer, in our personal messages. She was straightening me out..

0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 05:30 pm
Extremely sorry to hear that. My condolences to her daughter. I'm sure she will be much missed by all those who knew her.

I didn't really interact with Bitten here until I got in touch over practicalities last Fall, which turned into a pleasant exchange of PMs. She was friendly and thoughtful, and her messages made for lovely sketches of day-to-day life. It all seemed quite peaceful -- surrounded by people who care, while being at ease with time spent alone. Reading them offered a reminder to seek calmness within and appreciate each small part of life.

At some point I ventured into a political thread here and took issue with something she posted, and she responded angrily by PM. I replied, but only once, and now I regret not continuing the dialogue and seeking a way back to the kind exchanges we had earlier. Another stark reminder never to let things like that get in the way of being a mensch to each other.

She seemed a wonderful lady and I wish her daughter and her friends all the strength and comfort they may find in these days.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 05:39 pm
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

Quoting links from Blatham's Trump thread and the Brexit thread -

https://able2know.org/topic/355218-1323#post-6472077
https://able2know.org/topic/308745-133#post-6472086

Both links have a batch of regular posts mixed with the immediate news about Saab.

I'm thinking it might be nice to bring some of the messages that were posted in those threads here too - at least the posts from people who haven't posted here yet:

ehBeth wrote:
Set and I are very sorry to hear that. Please convey our condolences to Saab's family.

ehBeth wrote:
blatham has just posted that saab passed away on the weekend.

farewell to a feisty lady

a smorgasbord to share in her honour

Walter Hinteler wrote:
I'm sorry to hear that. Please send her my condolences!

glitterbag wrote:
How sad, she was an interesting woman, always enjoyed hearing her views. We also exchanged PM's, I'm going to miss her.....please tell her daughter that she had many friends on A2K...we will all miss her.

Izzythepush wrote:
I'm very sorry to hear that. I liked Saab, she will be missed.

Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Oh gosh that's very sad news.

Ragman wrote:
So sorry to see the sad news about her recent passing. She will be missed. Sincerest sympathies extend to her family.

Olivier5 wrote:
So sorry to read that. I always liked her even when (or especially when?) we argued about something.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 05:46 pm
Can't believe Saab lefts us all...intelligent, a good debater, Knowledgeable, and above all willing to help and interact with others. Massive loss for A2K!
Condolences from Portugal! (Today is a sad they for us all, she was one of the irreplaceables)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 06:04 pm
I'm sorry to read this.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 06:27 pm

RIP... Sad
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 06:34 pm
I or my computer was squirrelly when I started this, and there were for a few minutes two threads by me.. Roger also posted on the other one, but that was the one I let go, for less confusion. I get it that Mods don't like dual threads with the same name - apologies to Roger.
roger

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 06:37 pm
@ossobucotemp,
That's okay. I will still miss her.
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 06:40 pm
@roger,
Whew, no kidding, Roger.

Meantime, I'm so glad so many of us liked her, enjoyed her personality.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 26 Jul, 2017 06:40 pm
@nimh,
Thanks nimh.
0 Replies