SHOCKER!!! Giambi admits to taking steroids

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 04:22 pm
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=1936592

Wow, am I surprised.

Duh.

I'm good friends with a pro ball player, and from what he's told me, from what I once heard from his teamate, and from being a little knowledgeable in this subject, steroids is actually MORE rampant than what most people think in pro sports. Don't be shocked as more guys come out of the woodwork.

Here's what I think most people's take is: "You got guys like Sosa, Bonds, Giambi, all the big guys are on steroids, and it's giving the game a black eye. It's cheating. Those drugs make them hit the ball 100 feet further, and they're all going to keel over and die in 5 years from steroids."

Here's what I think: the MAJORITY of pro athletes, in NFL, NBA, and MLB are taking, or have taken steroids in their professional careers. Look at the size of the guys in the NBA compared to 10 years ago. The NFL: lineman are on an average almost 100lbs heavier than the guys in the 80's, and they're much faster. Newsflash: there's no dramatic change in workout programs, diets, or evolution from 20 years ago! Is there a change, yes...but not enough to make this kind of difference.

"Steroids" is a very general term. There's no such thing as a single drug called "steroids." There's many, many different types of drugs, that do different things, that fall into this category. Some are "heavier" than others.

I guarantee a lot of pitchers, shortstops, the smaller guys in MLB are on some form of these drugs. Some take them to maintain some strength through the season, and some take them to put on that extra 15-20lbs to become noticeably stronger(cough*nomah*cough). For example, on my friend's minor league team last year, he said there was about 5 guys that weren't openly taking them. And alot of them weren't "big," you would never look at them and think "juice head."

The thing is, it's truly a big part of being a pro athlete today. They have to make some huge changes to make the sport clean. And, a lot of the drugs can go undectable, or you can take other drugs that cover up the roids in drug tests.

-Do you think that steroids is making these sports tainted? If you're going to put an "*" next to a record set by a guy who was discovered taking them, what about everyone that didn't get caught?

-How can sports really clean this stuff up? Anyone here actually know anything about this subject besides what you read in the paper?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,224 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Greyfan

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 05:52 pm
My interest in professional sports drops with every revelation. I don't get the sense that a lot of others share this view, however.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 09:02 pm
i'm a lot angrier that giambi lied about it then that he actually did it...
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:40 pm
Re: SHOCKER!!! Giambi admits to taking steroids
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
-Do you think that steroids is making these sports tainted?

The sport tainted or the records (ie Bonds) tainted?

I don't see either one suffering (though I have underestimated the effect of the conservative influence on society before).

Slap wrote:
-How can sports really clean this stuff up?

I don't think they can, and that's really the problem.

Maybe more ballplayers will have to die before the union gets serious about doing something.

http://www.cracksmoker.com/kcaminit3a.jpg
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:21 am
Greyfan wrote:
My interest in professional sports drops with every revelation. I don't get the sense that a lot of others share this view, however.

That's the thing...who cares? They're goddamn ballplayers. People(fans) get too involved...but it sells tickets.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:22 am
A good friend of mine who's been doing track&field for years, means that all sports are tainted, whether it's ball sports or track&field. The miscreants aren't caught, because the anti-drug agencies are not able to get them.

It works like this, his theory, not mine, where there is money to be made, you'll have criminal elements. These guys have funding that exceeds the agencies by far. With these funds they're developing new drugs that can't be found, yet, because the agency doesn't know what they are looking for. Like Slappy said, all drugs aren't created equal. This way the anti-drug campaign will always be miles behind the athletes.

Sad, but true.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:30 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Here's what I think: the MAJORITY of pro athletes, in NFL, NBA, and MLB are taking, or have taken steroids in their professional careers.

I agree. But didn't Major League Baseball use linguistic trickery to make sure that the particular steroids base ball players like to take aren't counted as doping for them? I think that's what I remember from the bruhaha about Mark McGwire's doping several years ago. I like that solution. No doping, no problem, and you still can take whatever you like.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:36 am
Slappy, I heard a report on NPR yesterday that shocked me. Apparently Major League Baseball has a rule that you have to be caught 3 times taking enhancers before you're suspended one year.

I think other sports leagues are actively enforcing anti-steroid policy. MLB has a haughty, how-dare-you-question-our-methods attitude and the chickens are coming home to roost.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:50 am
Thomas, you're probably right. I know in professional bodybuilding, for example, they only test for specific substances, and it's a joke. It's probably the same for MLB.

The NFL does it too, but they're much stricter, like Panzade is saying, baseball isn't as strict. However, I think there's still plenty of juiceheads in football also.

These guys have access to everything...there's ways around the testing.

Pdiddie, that's an uneducated statement...steroids don't kill people off like flies, and didn't kill him. Caminiti died of an overdose of cocaine and opiates. You're not going to see pro athletes dying left and right from steroids. Obviously they can be very dangerous, like any drugs.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:51 am
Another shocker!!!

Bonds admitted taking drugs his personal trainer gave him..."but he didn't know if they were steroids."

That statement is probably a shining example of his IQ. espn.com
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:59 am
Spin this around:

Should Bonds records have an asterisk? Do they not count as much?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:13 pm
Bonds is either really stupid or lying. Would a reasonably intelligent person take a substance given by some one without knowing what it was or side effects?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:16 pm
Duh.

Obviously he's lying. He was on a drug schedule, so he knew what he was taking. And I bet he knows exactly what the possible side effects are, how it effects his body, ect.

You can't take this stuff and be blind to it at the same time. HGH is HUGE money.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:23 pm
Of course, Slappy you are right, even Bonds cannot be that stupid. Perhaps he can claim that one of the side effects of steroids is loss of memory or stupidity. It's not that he didn't know, it is he can't remember.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:38 pm
I just don't know why someone would bother admitting taking drugs if you're just going to say something stupid like "I didn't know what it was."

He must be easy to date-rape.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:27 pm
Linkat wrote:
Bonds is either really stupid or lying. Would a reasonably intelligent person take a substance given by some one without knowing what it was or side effects?

It can be real hard to find things out if your salary can depend on your not knowing them. It isn't beyond my comprehension that his trainer approached him and said: "Hey take these nice red pills. You don't want to know what's in them (wink wink, nudge nudge), but believe me, they're good for you." And so the poor fella just didn't know....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:31 pm
I think anyone found to be taking this stuff should be barred from the game. The fact that Bonds is on the verge of breaking Aaron's home-run record makes my blood boil.

One look at Aaron in his prime, and you know he never went near a steroid. That's the way the game should be played!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:33 pm
True, but in a sad way, it's almost part of the game evolving.

I don't think these guys should be banned, but I think if MLB is serious about this stuff, they have to take a huge step to clean the game up, and enforce rules.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:42 pm
I say banning because steroids not only give some players an unfair advantage, but it also encourages kids to mess with the drugs. Which they're doing.

A strong penalty might discourage them.

And if we're going to accept baseball games with grotesque giants bashing home runs and playing five-hour games, ending in scores of 15-13, you can count me out...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 03:50 pm
Why all the righteous indignation. That has been going on for years and I have no doubt that the lords of sport have known it.
What do you suppose the NFL players are using to be able to play in pain?
If they really wanted to stop it instead of a few game suspension they would ban for life anyone caught using drugs. No second chances..
0 Replies