Evolution - Who wants to KNOW?

kickycan

Reply Thu 2 Dec, 2004 10:21 pm
Oh, okay then.
0 Replies

binnyboy

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:06 am
hehe not all of us had evolution in school because some of us (not me) are old and lived in the days of yore when the government was busy putting under god in our pledge and in god we trust on our money. Pretty sure there wasnt much evolution being taught in schools those days. (at least not schools all over the country)
0 Replies

Einherjar

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 04:29 am
Waiting to see where bib is going with this thread.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 04:38 am
binnyboy wrote:
hehe not all of us had evolution in school because some of us (not me) are old and lived in the days of yore when the government was busy putting under god in our pledge and in god we trust on our money. Pretty sure there wasnt much evolution being taught in schools those days. (at least not schools all over the country)

Hummmm...

...since the motto "In God We Trust" was put on coins back in the 1860's...this remark can only be a shot at me...or one of the other grey haired, senior citizens posting here in A2K. :wink:

I woulda thunk you were above that kinda stuff, Bin.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:11 am
well, excuse meeeeeeeeeee frank. You won't find one grey hair on my head, the few that I have left are ALL blond.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:14 am
I always thought that that motto was part of a longer one, and was meant to keep consumers from being ripped off.

As I remember the saying in its entirely, it is:

"In God we trust. All others pay cash!" Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:20 am
actually 'in god we trust' was just another of those whimiscal sayings of my friend Krisna Billy Joe-Bob Halfawitz who also coined the phrase 'step on a crack, break your mother's back.'
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:20 am
I am fascinatted by the dictionary definiions. Yes evolution, not in its biological sense, has many definitions.

I would submit that Ernst Mayr (not your average Harvard slob), has gone a few steps further pastt these erudite definitions by actually writing a whole book, the title of which was
"WHAT EVOLUTION IS"

I tink that we should , Oprah style, read a few passages of Mayr and try to discern what evolution is, versus , what it is not.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:25 am
farmerman you silly goose, no one on here is interested in what evolution is or is not (especially if it involves scientific methodology) we are all here to make silly but inane commentary.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:29 am
I think the discussion of America being founded on Christianity needs to end. The framers of the contitution and a pile of the founding fathers were Diests and Agnostics.

God, in American tradition has been more of the greek concept than the Abrahmic one.

TF
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:29 am
Im trying my best here dys. ACtually Mayr has some really clever lines like

"How do we dettermine tthat the gene complement of a partticular species shows a resultant divergent evolution via allopatry?"

aNSWER

Who Gives A ****?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 08:32 am
there you go man
stay as cool as you can.
face piles of trials with smiles
for it riles them to believe
that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.
trilobite their tiny asses farmerman, you can do it!
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 09:57 am
Are some of you trying to get Bibliophile to abandon his topic?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 09:59 am
wandeljw wrote:

It looks like Bib already has.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:01 am
Absolutely not.

I only speak for myself. But. I suspect that the others, like myself, are waiting in eager anticipation to hear what Bibliophile knows about evolution.

The intervening banter is just to pass the time until Biblio returns.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:03 am
joefromchicago wrote:
wandeljw wrote:

It looks like Bib already has.

The last time Bib disappeared, Mrs. Bib logged on in his place and told everyone he had died. Wink

Bib, you ok?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 10:07 am
ebrown,

There is nothing wrong with banter. I am new to A2K and sometimes I am slow to follow along.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 12:58 pm
e. Taalk about dense, i just noticed your disastter flag. sometthin to do with the election?

wandel, we sometimes sit around for weeks till a tthread weaver returns. Bib does have a leprechaun sense of humor , so we are patient witth his little side ttrips.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:09 pm
The disaster flag is for the Iraq war and the prosecution of the "war on terror".

Of course, the results of the election are related.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Dec, 2004 01:19 pm
I always thought the upside down flag meant something else; something like SOS.
0 Replies