WA2K Radio is now on the air

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 02:22 am
On the last day of the year - arriving shortly downunder and than crawling along the WA2K listernership - let's refresh quickly the text of this favourite British song

http://www.perfessorbill.com/covers/auldlang.jpg

http://img379.imageshack.us/img379/8784/clipboard12xq.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 06:51 am
Good morning, WA2K listeners and contributors.

Nick, welcome back to our studio, buddy, and thanks for that reminder of the singing nun.

For those of you who don't know, our Nick was in broadcasting, so he is a welcome addition to our staff.

It seems that edgar was in a Japanese mode and I am captivated by those lovely songs, Texas. There is something so delicate and fragile about Japanese art and music, right folks?

Ah, Walter. Today is the last day of 2005, and Bobby Burns says it so well, no? Thank you, Germany for that delightful picture and those nostalgic lyrics. How often our jazz group sang that a capella. (sometimes rather badly) <smile>

dys, my friend Phil's birthday is today, and he has been fighting a real battle, so I would like to dedicate this song to him:

Artist: Phil Collins
Song: We said hello, goodbye (don't look back)
Album: No Jacket Required

We said goodbye to a dear old friend
And we packed our bags and left feeling sad
It's the only way
We said hello as we turned the key
A new roof over our heads
Gave a smile
It's the only way
Only way

Turn your head
And don't look back
Set your sails for a new horizon
Don't turn around don't look down
Oh there's life across the tracks
And you know it's really not surprising
It gets better when you get there oh

Well it really don't matter much where you are
Cos home is in your heart
It's a feeling that you wake with one day
Some people keep running all their life
And still find they haven't gone too far
They don't see it's the feeling inside - the feeling inside oh

Turn your head and don't look back
Just set your sails for a new horizon
Don't turn around don't look down
Oh there's life across the tracks
And you know it's really not surprising
It gets better when you get there

We said hello as we turned the key
A new roof over our heads
Gave a smile - it's the only way
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:25 am
Good morning WA2K.

My thanks to Letty for filling in for me yesterday with the lovely picture of handsome Ruddy (he preferred Ruddy to Yardy).

Here are some celebrities born on this date:

Odetta (1930)
http://www.westportartscenter.org/artshouse/odetta.jpgAnthony Hopkins (1937)
http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~rn6d-hnd/people/anthony_hopkins.jpg
John Denver (1943-1997)
http://www.nndb.com/people/164/000026086/john-denver.jpg
Ben Kingsley (1943)
http://www.filmforum.hu/adat/200127/1651/kingsley_ben11.jpg
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:35 am
Ah, there's our Raggedy with pictures perfect, listeners. Wow! PA. That's a flattering picture of John Denver.

Welcome to my morning
Welcome to my day
I'm the one responsible
I made it just this way
To make myself some pictures
See what they might bring
I think I made it perfectly
I wouldn't change a thing

Welcome to my happiness
You know it makes me smile
And it pleases me to have you here
For just a little while
While we open up the spaces
Try to break some chains
And if the truth is told
They will never come again

Welcome to my evening
The closing of the day
I could try a million times
Never find a better way
To tell you that I love you
And all the songs I play
Are to thank you for allowing me
Inside this lovely day

Welcome to my morning
Welcome to my day
Yes, I'm the one responsible
I made it just this way
To make myself some pictures
And see what they might bring
I think I made it perfectly
I wouldn't change a thing

Words and music by John Denver
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 08:56 am
Right, thanks Walter. Another guid-willie waught over here, barkeep!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 09:01 am
Hey, Manchester. Welcome back, buddy. Besides Robert Burns, have you any further requests?
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 09:09 am
Letty wrote:
Hey, Manchester. Welcome back, buddy. Besides Robert Burns, have you any further requests?

Howdy folks, howdy ma'am.

I've not been thinking in musical ways just lately, let's see now...

Have you got any by Emmylou Harris? I remember enjoying a duet she sang, entitled I think "If I Could Only Win Your Love"
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 09:15 am
Ok, Brit. Coming right up.

Emmylou
Lyrics for Song: If I Could Only Win Your Love
Lyrics for Album: Pieces Of The Sky

If I could only win your love
I'd make the most of everything
I'd proudly wear your wedding ring
My heart would never stray when you're away

I'd give my all to make it live
You'll never know how much I give

Oh how can I ever say
How I crave your love when your gone away
Oh how can I ever show
How I burn inside when you hold me tight

Oh how can I ever say
How I crave your love when your gone away
Oh how can I ever show
How I burn inside when you hold me tight

Was that a dedication song, McTag? <smile>
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 10:41 am
and here's a dedication song to our Raggedy, hebba, Francis, and my sister who loved Danny Kaye:

Anatole Of Paris

It all began when I was born a month too soon
My ma was frightened by a runaway saloon
Pa was forced to be a hobo
Because he played the oboe
And the oboe it is clearly understood
Is an ill wind that no one blows good
I'll never forget the morning that Grandpa ate the awning
To impress a pretty lady who went for men that were shady
Then my Uncle Josia lit the Chicago fire
Ran off to Hawaii with the O'Leary cow
Which his loving wife resented and there upon invented
A rolling pin that strikes and then says pow
And I'm the result of the twisted eugenics
Of this family of inbred schizophrenics
The end of a long long line of bats
I design women's hats
I'm Anatole of Paris
I shriek with chic
My hat of the week
Cause 6 divorces, 3 runaway horses
I'm Anatole of Paris
The hats I sell make husbands yell
Is that a hat or a two room flat
Let me get my paw on a little piece of straw
And viola!
A chapeau, at 60 bucks a throw
It's how I pull and chew on it
The little things I do on it
Like placing yards of lacing or a bicycle built for two on it
The little ones, the big ones
The sat on by a pig ones
The foolish ones that perch
And the ghoulish ones that lurch
The one called whisky sour
Designed for the cocktail hour
A little snip, a potato chip
And a trifle off the eiffle tower
I'm Anatole of Paris I must design
I'm just like wine
I go to your head
Give me thread and the needle
I itch, I twitch to stitch
I'm a glutton for cutting
For putting with a button
To snip and pluck, nip and tuck
Fix and trim, plan the brim
Tote that barge, lift that bail
And why do I sew each new chapeau
With a style they most look positively grim in
Strictly between us, entre-nous
I hate women.

And for those of you interested in Danny's background:

http://www.angelfire.com/film/dannykaye/DannyKaye_biography.htm
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 10:56 am
I once had that album in my collection, Miss Letty, and I dedicate the song to you. It's a lovely song, and Emmylou and partner (?) sing it so beautifully.
I just had a look for the vinyl, and it's gone, so it must be out on extended loan- twenty years or so and counting. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 11:22 am
Ah, Thank you McTag. Blowing you a kiss.

I'm afraid, listeners, that I have been multi- tasking and it has exhausted me, so I will be back later:

This is cyber space, WA2K radio.
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 12:12 pm
Jacques Cartier
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Jacques Cartier (December 31, 1491 - September 1, 1557), baptised Jakez Karter, was an explorer popularly thought of as one of the major discoverers of Canada, or more specifically, the interior eastern region along the St. Lawrence River that would become the first European-inhabited area of that country since the Vikings.

Born in Saint-Malo, France in 1491, Cartier was part of a respectable family of mariners, and improved his social status in 1520 by marrying Catherine des Granches, member of a leading ship-owning family. His good name in Saint-Malo is recognized by its frequent appearance on baptismal registers as godfather or witness.

Very little information is available on Cartier's character and personality, but his professional abilities can be easily ascertained. Considering that Cartier made three voyages of discovery in dangerous and hitherto unknown waters without losing a ship, that he entered and departed some fifty undiscovered harbours without serious mishap, and that the only sailors he lost were victims of an epidemic ashore, he may be considered one of the most conscientious explorers of the period.

When Jacques Cartier first sailed to the Gulf of St. Lawrence, the Iroquoian Wendat (aka "Huron" or "Wyandot") chief Donnacona initially thought he was from underwater, and said that he was coming from wooden "houses".

First Voyage, 1534

The King of France, François I, chose Cartier to find "certaines îles et pays où l'on dit qu'il se doit trouver grande quantité d'or et autres riches choses" ("certain islands and lands where it is said there are great quantities of gold and other riches").

In 1534, he set sail, hoping to discover some western passage to the wealthy markets of Asia. He explored parts of what are now Newfoundland starting on May 10 of that year, and what are now the other Canadian Maritimes. He bartered for furs with the Micmac Indians, and learned of a river further west (the St. Lawrence), that he hoped might be the long-sought passage to Asia.

He landed for the first time at present day Gaspé, Quebec, where he planted a 30-foot cross and claimed the territory for France. Cartier lied to Chief Donnacona and said the cross was an insignificant landmark. During this trip he captured and took Domagaya and Taignoagny, the sons of Chief Donnacona, back to France. He also began to build diplomatic relations with the natives.

Second Voyage, 1535-1536

Cartier set sail for a second voyage on May 19 of the following year with 3 ships, 110 men, and the two native boys. Reaching the St. Lawrence, he sailed up-river for the first time, and reached the Huron village of Stadacona (site of present-day Québec City), where Chief Donnacona was reunited with his two sons.

Cartier left his main ships in a harbour close to Stadacona, and used his smallest ship to continue up-river and visit Hochelaga (now Montreal) where he arrived October 2, 1535. Hochelaga was far more impressive than the small and squalid village of Stadacona, and more than a thousand Hurons came to the river edge to greet the Frenchmen. The site of their arrival has been confidently identified as the beginning of the Sainte-Marie Sault -- where the Jacques Cartier Bridge now stands.

After spending two days among the Hurons of Hochelaga, Cartier returned to Stadacona on October 11. It is not known exactly when Cartier decided to spend the winter of 1535-1536 in Canada, but the decision must have before reaching Stadacona, as it was by then too late to return to France. Cartier and his men prepared for the winter by strengthening their fort, stacking firewood, and salting down game and fish.

During this winter, Cartier compiled a sort of gazetteer that included several pages on the manners of the natives -- in particular, their habit of wearing only leggings and moccasins even in the dead of winter.

From mid-November 1535 to mid-April 1536, the French fleet lay frozen solid at the mouth of the St. Charles river, under the Rock of Quebec. Ice was over a fathom (1.8 m) thick in the river, and snow four feet (1.2 m) deep ashore. To add to the discomfort, scurvy broke out -- first among the Hurons, and then among the French. In his journal, Cartier states that by mid-February, "out of 110 that we were, not ten were well enough to help the others, a thing pitiful to see". Cartier estimated the number of Hurons dead at 50.

One of the natives who survived was Domagaya, the chief's son who had been taken to France the previous year. Upon his visiting the French fort for a friendly call, Cartier enquired and learned of him that a concoction made from a certain tree called "annedda", a white cedar tree, would cure scurvy. This remedy likely saved the expedition from destruction, and by the end of the winter, 85 Frenchmen were still alive.

Ready to return to France in early May 1536, Cartier decided to kidnap Chief Donnacona himself, so that he might personally tell the tale of a country further north, called the "Kingdom of Saguenay", claimed to be full of gold, rubies and other treasures. After an arduous trip down the St. Lawrence and a three-week Atlantic crossing, Cartier and his men arrived in Saint-Malo July 15, 1536.

So ended the second and most profitable of Cartier's voyages, lasting fourteen months. Having already located the entrance to the St. Lawrence on his first voyage, he now opened up the greatest waterway for the European penetration of North America. He had made an intelligent estimate of the resources of Canada, both natural and human, aside from considerable exaggeration of its mineral wealth. Whilst some of his actions toward the Wendats were dishonorable, he did try at times to establish friendship with the them and other native peoples living along the great St. Lawrence river -- an indispensable preliminary to French settlement in their lands.

Third Voyage 1541-1542

On May 23, 1541 Cartier departed Saint-Malo on his third voyage with five ships. This time, any thought of finding a passage to the Orient was forgotten. The goals were now to find the "Kingdom of Saguenay" and its riches, and to establish a permanent settlement along the St. Lawrence.

Anchoring at Stadacona on August 23, Cartier again met the Hurons, but found their "show of joy" and their numbers worrisome, and decided not to build his settlement there. Sailing nine miles up-river to a spot he had previously observed, he decided to settle on the site of present-day Cap-Rouge. The convicts and other colonists were landed, the cattle that had survived three months aboard ship were turned loose, earth was broken for a kitchen garden, and seeds of cabbage, turnip and lettuce were planted. A fortified settlement was thus created and was named Charlesbourg-Royal. Another fort was also built on the falaise overlooking the settlement, for added protection.

The men also began collecting quartz crystal ("diamonds") and iron pyrites ("gold"). Two of the ships were dispatched home with some of these worthless minerals on September 2.

Having set tasks for everyone, Cartier left with the longboats for a reconnaissance in search of "Saguenay" on September 7. Having reached Hochelaga, he was prevented by bad weather and the numerous rapids from continuing up to the Ottawa river.

Returning to Charlesbourg-Royal, Cartier found the situation ominous. The Hurons no longer made friendly visits or peddled fish and game, but prowled about in a sinister manner. No records exists about the winter of 1541-1542 and the information must be gleaned from the few details provided by returning sailors. It seems the Indians attacked and ate about 35 settlers before the Frenchmen could retreat behind their fortifications. Even though scurvy was cured through the native remedy, the impression left is of a general misery, and of Cartier's growing conviction that he had insufficient manpower either to protect his base or to go in search of Saguenay. Everyone boarded the three remaining ships in early June 1542, and arrived back in Europe in October 1542. This was his last voyage.

Cartier spent the rest of his life in Saint-Malo and his nearby estate, and died aged 66 on September 1, 1557 from an epidemic. He died before any permanent European settlements were made in Canada; that had to wait for Samuel de Champlain in 1608.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Cartier
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 12:15 pm
Henri Matisse

Henri Matisse (December 31, 1869 - November 3, 1954) was the leading French artist of the 20th century. Particularly noted for his striking use of colour, Matisse is one of the very few indisputable giants of modern art, alongside Picasso and Kandinsky.

He was born Henri-Émile-Benoît Matisse in Le Chateau-Cambrésis, Nord-Pas-de-Calais, France, and grew up in Bohain-en-Vermandois. In 1887 he went to Paris to study law. After gaining his qualification he worked as a court administrator in Le Cateau-Cambrésis. Following an attack of appendicitis he took up painting during his convalescence. After his recovery, he returned to Paris in 1891 to study art at the Académie Julian and became a student of William-Adolphe Bouguereau and Gustave Moreau.

Influenced by the works of Paul Cézanne, Gauguin, Van Gogh and Paul Signac, and also by traditional Japanese art, he started to see color as a crucial element of composition.

His art is based in a method that (according to himself) consists in boarding separately each element of his work - drawing, color, composition - and joining them in a synthesis. He was the only fauvist to develop his work to a balance between color and line, in flat compositions, without depth. He was one of the first painters in fauvism to be interested in "primitive" art. Matisse abandoned the palette of the Impressionists and established his characteristic style, with its flat, brilliant color and fluid line. His subjects were primarily women, interiors, and still lifes.

He painted in the Fauvist manner, becoming known as a leader of that movement. His first exhibition was in 1901 and his first solo exhibition in 1904. His fondess for bright and expressive colour became more pronounced after he moved southwards in 1905 to work with André Derain and spent time on the French Riviera, his paintings marked by having the colours keyed up into a blaze of intense shades and characterized by flat shapes and controlled lines, with expression dominant over detail. The decline of the Fauvist movement after 1906 did nothing to affect the rise of Matisse; he had moved beyond them and many of his finest works were created between 1906 and 1917 when he was an active part of the great gathering of artistic talent in Montparnasse.

He was a friend as well as rival of the younger Pablo Picasso, and the two artists are often compared with each other. Matisse-Picasso

Matisse lived in Cimiez on the French Riviera, now a suburb of the city of Nice, from 1917 until his death in 1954. In 1941 he was diagnosed with cancer and, following surgery, he soon needed a wheelchair; this did not stop his work however, but as increased weakness made an easel impossible he created cut paper collages called gouaches découpés, often of some size, which still demonstrated his eye for colour and geometry.

Working in a number of modes, but principally as a painter, Matisse achieved widespread fame during his lifetime. Today, a Matisse painting can sell for as much as US$ 17 million. In 2002, a Matisse sculpture, "Reclining Nude I (Dawn)," sold for US$ 9.2 million, a record for a sculpture by the artist.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Matisse
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 12:18 pm
Pola Negri

Pola Negri (December 31, 1894 - August 1, 1987) was a Polish film actress who achieved notoriety as a femme fatale in silent films.

Birth

Born Barbara Apolonia Chałupiec on December 31, circa 1899 according to her gravestone (but other sources list 1894 or 1897) in either Janowa, Poland or Lipno, Poland. She trained as a dancer and performed ballet until forced by illness to change her profession. She turned to acting, and by the end of World War I had established herself as a popular stage actress in Warsaw, the capital, and had appeared in several films.

Film

Her popularity provided her with an opportunity to move to Berlin, Germany where she appeared in several films for Jewish film director Ernst Lubitsch. Their films were successful throughout the world, and in 1922 both were offered contracts with Hollywood studios. Negri's exotic style of glamour proved popular with audiences during the 1920s, and her association with such actors as Charles Chaplin and Rudolph Valentino ensured she remained in the public eye.

Valentino

Negri caused a media sensation after the death in 1926 of Valentino by announcing that they had planned to marry, and following the train that carried his body from New York to Los Angeles, posing for photographers at every stop. At his funeral she fainted several times, and had arranged for a large floral arrangement which spelled her name to be placed on Valentino's coffin. Despite the wide publicity she attracted, many of Valentino's friends stated that Valentino and Negri had not intended to marry. They dismissed her actions as a publicity stunt. Tallulah Bankhead, in particular, badmouthed her. Negri's career began to decline. Her style of vamp was beginning to go out of vogue, and the advent of talking pictures revealed an accented voice that the public did not warm to. As Negri put it: "They went from Pola to Polaroid".

There are also rumors that Negri had a short affair with the young comedian Milton Berle around this time. (Decades later, Berle claimed that these rumors were true on The Howard Stern Show and Larry King Live.)

In 1927 Negri married Serge Mdivani, who claimed to be a Georgian prince and whose brother was married to Mae Murray (they divorced in 1929).

Sunset Boulevard

She made only a few films after 1930, and worked mainly in England and Germany, where she acted in several films for the Joseph Goebbels-controlled UFA. There were rumors (almost certainly false) that she had had an affair with Adolf Hitler. She fled Germany in 1939, after a few Nazi officials labeled her as having "part Jewish" ancestry. After World War II, Negri re-entered the United States with great difficulty.

After actresses Mae West and Mary Pickford were ruled unsuitable, the director Billy Wilder approached Negri to appear in the film Sunset Boulevard (1950). Wilder recalled that Negri "threw a tantrum at the mere suggestion of playing a has-been", and the role was given to the more amenable and realistic Gloria Swanson who became immortal on celluloid.

United States citizen

In 1951, Negri became a naturalized citizen of the United States. Her final film appearance was in the 1964 Walt Disney film The Moon-spinners, with teenaged actress Hayley Mills. In the same year she received an honorary award from the German film industry for her career work.

Retirement

Negri lived her remaining years in obscurity, remembered only by film buffs and researchers. She maintained her flamboyant persona to the end of her life and was often compared to the character she had been considered for, Norma Desmond, from the film Sunset Boulevard. She allegedly kept Valentino's picture on her bedside table until the end of her life and always insisted he had been the great love of her life.

Death

She died at the age of 87, in San Antonio, Texas, where she resided with a companion, Texas heiress Margaret West. Her death was caused by pneumonia, however she was suffering from a brain tumor for which she had refused treatment. At her wake at the Porter Loring Funeral Home in San Antonio, her thin body was placed on view. Miss Negri wore a yellow golden chiffon dress with a golden turban to match. Her small obituary in the local newspaper read "she had an international career as a screen and stage actress."

She left most of her estate to St. Mary´s University, including several rare prints of her films. A generous portion was also given to the Polish nuns of the Seraphic Order. A large black and white portrait hangs in the small chapel next to Poland´s patron, Our Lady of Czestochowa in San Antonio, Texas. She was interred in Calvary Cemetery, East Los Angeles next to her mother, Eleonora. She had no children or remaining relatives.

Legacy

Pola Negri has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for her contribution to Motion Pictures at 6933 Hollywood Boulevard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pola_Negri
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 12:21 pm
Rex Allen

Rex Allen (December 31, 1920--December 17, 1999) was an American actor, singer, and songwriter.

Born Rex Elvie Allen to Horace Allen and Faye Clark on a ranch in Mud Springs Canyon, forty miles from Willcox, Arizona, Rex Allen would grow up to become a popular entertainer known as "The Arizona Cowboy." As a boy he played guitar and sang at local functions with his fiddle-playing father until high school graduation when he toured the southwest as a rodeo rider. He got his start in show business on the East Coast as a vaudeville singer then found work in Chicago as a performer on the WLS Radio program, National Barn Dance. In 1948 he signed with Mercury Records where he recorded a number of successful country music albums until 1952 when he switched to the Decca label where he would continue making records into the 1970s.

When singing cowboys such as Roy Rogers and Gene Autry were very much in vogue in American film, in 1949 Republic Pictures in Hollywood gave him a screen test and put him under contract. Beginning in 1950, Allen starred as himself in nineteen of Hollywood's western movies. One of the top-ten box office draws of the day, whose character was soon depicted in comic books, on screen Allen personified the clean cut, God-fearing American hero of the wild west who wore a white Stetson, loved his faithful horse named "Koko" and had a loyal buddy who shared his adventures. Allen's comic relief sidekick in first few pictures was Buddy Ebsen and then character actor, Slim Pickens.

Over his career, Rex Allen wrote and recorded many songs, a number of which were featured in his own films. Late in coming to the industry, his film career was relatively short as the popularity of westerns faded by the mid 1950s. He has the distinction of making the last singing western in 1954. As other cowboy stars made the transition to television, Allen tried too, cast as Dr. Bill Baxter for a half-hour weekly series called Frontier Doctor. Allen was gifted with a rich, pleasant voice, ideally suited for narration and was able to find considerable work as a narrator in a variety of films especially for Walt Disney Pictures wildlife films and TV shows. He also was the voice of the father on Disney's Carousel of Progress , which was presented at the 1964 World's Fair and is now at Walt Disney World .

For his contribution to the motion picture industry, Rex Allen was given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6821 Hollywood Blvd. In 1983, he was inducted into the Western Performers Hall of Fame at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.

In 1989 his life story was told in the book Rex Allen: "My Life" Sunrise to Sunset - The Arizona Cowboy written by Paula Simpson-Witt and Snuff Garrett.

Rex Allen died in 1999 in Tucson, Arizona from injuries received when his caretaker accidentally ran over him in the driveway of his home. Cremated, his ashes were scattered near the Rex Allen Museum in Willcox, Arizona where most of his memorabilia is on display.

His son, Rex Allen Jr. was also a successful singer, with several country hits in the 1970s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rex_Allen
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 12:23 pm
Odetta

Odetta (b. December 31, 1930), birth name Odetta Holmes, also known with her stepfather's surname as Odetta Felious, is an African-American singer. Her repertoire consists largely of American folk music, blues, and spirituals, although she first worked in the mode of musical theater. She also acted in several films, notably The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman and the film of William Faulkner's Sanctuary.

She was born in Birmingham, Alabama, grew up in Los Angeles, California, and studied music at Los Angeles City College. Her first professional experience was in 1949 with a touring company of the musical Finian's Rainbow. Her folksinging career began in San Francisco, California; in 1953 she appeared at the Blue Angel nightclub in New York City. She recorded her first album in 1954 for Fantasy Records. Harry Belafonte included her in a nationwide television special in 1959. Her 1963 album titled Folk Songs' was one of the year's best-selling folk albums.

She continued to tour and record into the late 1990s, having released a studio album, Blues Everywhere I Go, in 1999.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Odetta
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 12:24 pm
There's our Bob, listeners. My, my, Boston. Everything is French today. Thank you for the bio's and let's see what we can come up with for Matisse:

http://photos1.blogger.com/img/162/2858/640/icarus.jpg

Thought provoking, listeners, as I don't see Icarus nor hear any jazz.<smile>
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 12:25 pm
Anthony Hopkins

Sir Anthony Hopkins, CBE (born December 31, 1937) is a British-American actor who was born Philip Anthony Hopkins in Margam, near Port Talbot, Wales. His parents were the late Richard Arthur Hopkins and Muriel Yeats, who is a distant relation of poet William Butler Yeats. He was influenced and encouraged to become an actor by fellow Welshman Richard Burton, whom he met briefly at the age of fifteen. Hopkins eventually moved to London where he trained as an actor at RADA.

He conquered alcoholism in 1975 and has not drunk since, drinking carbonated apple juice at his March 2003 wedding. He now resides in the United States where he became a naturalized citizen on April 12, 2000. However, as a dual national, he retains his knighthood and can use the title 'Sir' in the UK, but not in the US, since it is considered 'inappropriate' according to the British consulate.

Hopkins has been married three times. His first two wives were Petronella Barker (1967-1972) and Jennifer Lynton (1973-2003). He is now married to Stella Arroyave. He has a daughter named Abigail Hopkins (born 1968) from his first marriage.

His most famous role was the brilliant portrayal of the cannibalistic serial killer Hannibal Lecter in the film The Silence of the Lambs (for which he won the Academy Award for Best Actor) opposite Jodie Foster as Clarice Starling, who also won the Academy Award for Best Actress that year. In fact the film won the Academy Award for Best Picture as well that year, no doubt due to the superb and electrifying interplay between Hopkins and Foster. It is the shortest lead acting Oscar-winning performance ever, as Hopkins is only on the screen for about sixteen minutes. Hopkins reprised the role of Dr. Lecter twice in Hannibal and Red Dragon. Lecter first appears in the film Manhunter, in which the role was played by Brian Cox. Red Dragon was a remake of Manhunter, which allowed Hopkins to play Lecter in adaptations of all three Lecter novels. Lecter's slurping sound from Silence of the Lambs was apparently improvised. All three films were based on the bestselling novels by Thomas Harris, who reportedly was very pleased with Hopkins' portrayal of Lecter.

Hopkins has also been Oscar-nominated for The Remains of the Day (1993), which was based on the award-winning novel by Kazuo Ishiguro. Other Oscar-nominated performances of Hopkins include: Nixon (1995) and Amistad (1997). Hopkins won the BAFTA Award for Best Actor for his perfomances in The Silence of the Lambs and The Remains of the Day.

He has played many famous historical and fictional characters including: Zorro (The Mask of Zorro 1998), Quasimodo (The Hunchback of Notre Dame 1982), Othello (Othello 1981), Pablo Picasso (Surviving Picasso 1996), Richard Nixon (Nixon 1995), Titus Andronicus (Titus 1999), John Quincy Adams (Amistad 1997), Adolf Hitler (The Bunker 1981), Charles Dickens (The Great Inimitable Mr. Dickens 1970), William Bligh (The Bounty 1984), Richard Lionheart (The Lion in Winter 1968), David Lloyd George (Young Winston 1972), Abraham Van Helsing (Bram Stoker's Dracula 1992), Yitzak Rabin (Victory at Entebbe 1976) and C. S. Lewis (Shadowlands 1993).

He was made a Commander of the British Empire (CBE) in 1987, and knighted in 1993.

Today, Hopkins also takes time to support various philanthropic groups. Hopkins was past Gala Fundraiser Guest of Honour for Women in Recovery, Inc., a Venice, California-based non-profit organization offering a live-in, Twelve-step program of rehabilitation for women in need. Other past honorees of this organization have included Jamie Lee Curtis; the 2005 honoree was Angela Lansbury. He is also a volunteer teacher at the Ruskins School of Acting in Santa Monica, California.

He has offered his personal support to various charities and appeals, notably becoming President of the National Trust's Snowdonia Appeal, raising funds for the preservation of the Snowdonia National Park and to aid the Trust's efforts to purchase parts of Snowdon. A book celebrating these efforts Anthony Hopkins' Snowdonia was published together with Graham Nobles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Hopkins
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 12:32 pm
0 Replies

bobsmythhawk

Reply Sat 31 Dec, 2005 12:36 pm
Ben Kingsley

Sir Ben Kingsley (born Krishna Bhanji on Friday, December 31, 1943) is a British actor.

Early life

Ben Kingsley was born in Scarborough, Yorkshire, England. His father, Rahimtulla Harji Bhanji, was a Kenya-born medical doctor of Indian (Gujarati Hindu) descent, and his mother, Anna Lyna Mary, was a fashion model and actress of illegitimate birth and half Jewish descent. Young "Kingsley" began his acting career on the stage at Manchester Grammar School alongside Robert Powell, but made a transition to film roles early on. It was at this point that he changed his name, fearing a foreign name would hamper his career.

Film career

His first film role was a supporting turn in Fear is the Key (1972). Kingsley continued starring in bit roles in both film and television (including a bit part on the soap opera Coronation Street). He found fame only years later, starring as Mahatma Gandhi in the Academy Award-winning film Gandhi in 1982. Kingsley was critically acclaimed and won the Academy Award for Best Actor for the role.

Kingsley has avoided stereotyping and has been cast in a variety of roles. His credits include the films Turtle Diary, Maurice, Pascali's Island, Without a Clue (as Dr. Watson opposite Michael Caine's Sherlock Holmes), Bugsy (Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor), Sneakers, Dave, Searching for Bobby Fischer, Schindler's List, Death and the Maiden, Murderers Among Us: The Simon Wiesenthal Story, Sexy Beast (another Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor) and House of Sand and Fog (Oscar nomination for Best Actor).

In 1997, he provided voice acting for the video game Ceremony of Innocence.

Private life

He was awarded a knighthood in the 2001 New Years Honours list. He is famous for being one of the few actors to insist his title is used. He has also won a Crystal Globe award for outstanding artistic contribution to world cinema at the Karlovy Vary International Film Festival in 2001.

He recently divorced German-born Alexandra Christmann and lives in Spelsbury, England.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Kingsley
0 Replies